The Student Room Group

Which do you think are the hardest A-Levels?

I guess I obviously can't properly judge since I'm not taking a levels yet but from my impressions I'd guess that chemistry, maths (and fm), physics and the languages are the hardest.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What you said plus computer science
Original post by awkwrdbby
I guess I obviously can't properly judge since I'm not taking a levels yet but from my impressions I'd guess that chemistry, maths (and fm), physics and the languages are the hardest.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Essay subjects like History and English literature are also very challenging A-levels, as you have to form detailed, complex arguments in an exam setting.

I think it depends on the person - different people find different subjects difficult.
History deffo. Trying to remember everything is hell, and it's also particularly hard to see the bigger picture when it comes to writing essays
Art because I'm **** lol
I struggled with maths too
Basically whatever subjects I'm not good at
In other words, everything but the sciences hahaha

Other people would likely have different opinions
Everyone has their own strengths and weaknesses
1. Further Maths
2. Latin
3. Chemistry
Reply 6
Original post by tuchaynz
What you said plus computer science

I've heard that many universities consider computing a 'soft subject'?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
PE
What's difficult for one person might be easy for the next...
Reply 9

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not sure where you've heard that but I highly doubt it. Computer Science has many aspects of maths and computing which makes it difficult. Although all subjects at degree level are difficult, its really about what you like and what you want to do.

I'm going to do it at uni but because I love computing and want to educate further into that field.

Don't let it bother you because it may be a soft subject. Do it if you really enjoy it.
Original post by tuchaynz
I'm not sure where you've heard that but I highly doubt it. Computer Science has many aspects of maths and computing which makes it difficult. Although all subjects at degree level are difficult, its really about what you like and what you want to do.

I'm going to do it at uni but because I love computing and want to educate further into that field.

Don't let it bother you because it may be a soft subject. Do it if you really enjoy it.

I meant the a level is seen as a soft subject :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
It depends on the person, I find Chemistry, Physics and maths relatively easy, but something like music quite hard. Out of the subjects I do, I would say physics is the hardest.
Further Maths, Chemistry, Physics..
I take only Chem from these 3 but I know that these 3 are some of the hardest...apparently Chem is the hardest.
Reply 13
Original post by howitoughttobe
1. Further Maths
2. Latin
3. Chemistry

Have you done Latin or are doing it? I'm doing my first year of it currently, and I find our Tacitus Annals 1 16-30 a nightmare, and also the unadapted Livy we are doing as practice for the exam. Do you have any advice or notes or anything?
Biology and psychology

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah it's not considered hard at all. I did it and frankly it was so easy compared to Physics.

Physics
Chemistry
Latin
Then Languages

Maths and Further Maths aren't hard exactly, they just require lots of practice and determination. The others are a bit more hit and miss.

Maths is actually surprisingly easy if you just do exercises and practise papers regularly
All A levels are hard, barring the 'softer' ones such as health and social and media which have a reputation for being easier. It depends on the individual. I would find maths and physics the hardest, because I am bad at maths and physics. Whereas sciences students may find History or Philosophy hard. It's all subjective really.
I meant the a level is seen as a soft subject :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh ok. Still though it is quite hard.
I think it depends on the person - I do two language A levels and I haven't found them massively stressful, I just pick it up despite not having any native speakers in my family. I know people who have a similar thing with mathsy subjects as well, it just clicks with them. My German teacher always said that Physics and German are the two hardest, I think for me Chemistry or Art would be the biggest killers.

Quick Reply

Latest