The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

When can you apply for Cardiff Uni Accommodation?

On the website its not clear when you can start applying for accommodation, just says when you need to get it in by.

Scroll to see replies

hardly remember it now but apparently I was sent the email on the 4̶t̶h̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶A̶p̶r̶i̶l̶ :smile:

edit: the first email came on the 15th of february you'll have to forgive me uni is hard
(edited 7 years ago)
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by aquamelon
hardly remember it now but apparently I was sent the email on the 4th of April :smile:

Ah okay thats great, did you apply straight away and got your first choice?
Original post by John10101
Ah okay thats great, did you apply straight away and got your first choice?

I didn't apply until the 6th of April, and I definitely didn't get my first choice (although I don't actually remember what that was haha)

Cardiff does accommodation through a lottery system though (as far as I know; they definitely did last year) - don't rush into it because it's randomly selected after results have been processed.

Honestly I wouldn't worry about it, I've been to a few of the university halls and they all seem fine. I definitely didn't want to be in Senghennydd Court but I'm here now and I like it!
Reply 4
Original post by aquamelon
I didn't apply until the 6th of April, and I definitely didn't get my first choice (although I don't actually remember what that was haha)

Cardiff does accommodation through a lottery system though (as far as I know; they definitely did last year) - don't rush into it because it's randomly selected after results have been processed.

Honestly I wouldn't worry about it, I've been to a few of the university halls and they all seem fine. I definitely didn't want to be in Senghennydd Court but I'm here now and I like it!

Oh right I got an email today talking about accommodation and saying "Submit your online application as soon as possible to give yourself the best chance of getting one of your higher preferences". I just don't want to end up miles away from my lectures. Hoping its not like a lotto system this year
I emailed residences, and they told me that you can't apply for residences until "sometime in February" it's so vague hahahahha. I just keep checking everyday though, they also said it was on a first come first serve basis.
Reply 6
I keep checking my sims account and the only options I'm given are for a 'returning undergrad' or 'returning postgrad' etc, anyone else have this?
Reply 7
Original post by 123lydiag
I keep checking my sims account and the only options I'm given are for a 'returning undergrad' or 'returning postgrad' etc, anyone else have this?

Yea I got this to I think we will see it change some time in feb like the other guy said which is okay just have to keep checking everyday
Original post by 123lydiag

Yep- ignore that! I thought it was just me getting that (I'm already at Cardiff Uni, but I'm applying to start a new course this year)... You just have to wait until the accommodation goes online. I think I sent mine off a few days after it opened two years ago, and that was mid-March. I ended up with my second choice, but as long as you don't put Uni Halls as your first choice, you should be within 20 minutes walking distance of your building (depending on your course). Have all your choices planned so you can get your application in as soon as you have the option to.
Reply 9
Original post by ThePhoenixLament
Yep- ignore that! I thought it was just me getting that (I'm already at Cardiff Uni, but I'm applying to start a new course this year)... You just have to wait until the accommodation goes online. I think I sent mine off a few days after it opened two years ago, and that was mid-March. I ended up with my second choice, but as long as you don't put Uni Halls as your first choice, you should be within 20 minutes walking distance of your building (depending on your course). Have all your choices planned so you can get your application in as soon as you have the option to.

I just checked sims today and they have taken off the 2017-18 thing, also how many choices do you have to make?
I just checked sims today and they have taken off the 2017-18 thing, also how many choices do you have to make?

I now have the option to apply for halls, but my course starts in March (well, the course I've been offered anyway- I'm negotiating the start date) so I need my halls way before September!
You get 10 choices. However, bear in mind that some places have multiple options. For example, I know Taly South has different sized room options. Each room size counts as 1 choice so you could end up with Taly South (again, for example) down on your application form 3 times.
It's a really straightforward form when they do eventually release it!
What is everyone planning to put down as their accommodation first choice? I'm torn between Taly gate and north. I'm not keen at all to put down south because of the Silver Fish problem so the closest thing to that is North. However Taly gate is newer and nicer, albeit probably less social. I'm worried I could stuck with either posh people or awful flatmates :s-smilie:
Reply 12
Original post by flyin-turd
What is everyone planning to put down as their accommodation first choice? I'm torn between Taly gate and north. I'm not keen at all to put down south because of the Silver Fish problem so the closest thing to that is North. However Taly gate is newer and nicer, albeit probably less social. I'm worried I could stuck with either posh people or awful flatmates :s-smilie:

I am applying to Gordon Hall and any location near that tbh depends what subject your doing I guess

Taly South just got renovated and I heard it's quite nice! You'll get silverfish anywhere realistically, just don't let your room get damp and you should be fine. Taly North is not great- the bathrooms are tiny and get quite steamy as there's only an extractor fan in there. However price-wise it's good and for the basics you'll do fine.
Taly Gate... you will be known by coursemates as the posh one. I'm sorry but that's the truth of it! I mean I'm sure it's lovely but that's all I know about it really. Asides from it costing a small fortune and I think that's the one that's got TVs and very nice sofas?
The largest taly north rooms look the same and are the same price as taly south! Plus I'm looking forward to a tiny adorable bathroom hahahaha.
The largest taly north rooms look the same and are the same price as taly south! Plus I'm looking forward to a tiny adorable bathroom hahahaha.

I should probably have elaborated- the bathrooms in taly north are wet rooms. So if you shower, your entire bathroom gets wet. You can't keep loo roll or anything in there as it's pretty much unusable afterwards. But ultimately people have different priorities, and price can be a massive factor!
*chanting softly* seng court seng court seng court (just kidding pick taly it's better than here haha)

you have to make 10 TO 20 CHOICES, which is... insane. i got my 8th choice, but honestly, any accommodation that's not like, uni halls would have been fine for me haha
Hi guys, I've got a placed confirmed to study business economics at Cardiff uni starting September and I'm having the same issue with the accommodation and have been checking everyday since I got the offer😂 So I gave them a call and again it's all very vague saying they should be open either sometime this week or next week but nothing is definite although we "should" get an email letting us know when they open but really it's just best to keep checking everyday so you get the most luck choosing accommodation👌🏽 I'm planning on applying for Taly south as it seems like it's the most socially active / nicest for that kind of vibe as I agree the bathrooms in Taly north are just a nah 😂 But yeh if there's any updates I'll reply to this chat as soon as I see it is open and if you guys could do the same too that'd be great!
Thanks
Matt
it's making me so nervous that they're not clear on when applications will open:s-smilie: I got my place last year but deferred til September 2017... they talk like I can apply anytime since I have a firm offer but clearly not since it's not open! it's making me so anxious haha

and it sounds like it's not sorted by who applies first then... that sucks if it's random! I'm really picky about where I want to live!
Original post by theathenerd
it's making me so nervous that they're not clear on when applications will open:s-smilie: I got my place last year but deferred til September 2017... they talk like I can apply anytime since I have a firm offer but clearly not since it's not open! it's making me so anxious haha

and it sounds like it's not sorted by who applies first then... that sucks if it's random! I'm really picky about where I want to live!

Don't worry! We're all in the same situation. It's a bit of a pain in the ass I know. I emailed them and they told me it'd be given to you on a first come first serve (I.e when your conditional becomes an unconditional). So it should be all good.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending