The Student Room Group

Applying to Universities

Hello,

I'm in my first year of A-levels and currently looking at universities that I would consider applying to. I'm compiled a rather extensive list of universities that offer the courses I am interested in (History and/or English) and as much as I would like to, it wouldn't be very practical to attend every open day for around twenty universities!
Is was just wondering if anyone has any tips for shortening the list down to a suitable number? I have included the majority of highly ranking institutions in the UK. Also, what is the recommended number of universities to look at? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you!
Start by reading this - How to Avoid 5 Rejections : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=20445-how-to-avoid-getting-five-university-rejections

Its the basic stuff to think about, and remember, when starting out on this journey ....
Original post by returnmigrant
Start by reading this - How to Avoid 5 Rejections : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=20445-how-to-avoid-getting-five-university-rejections

Its the basic stuff to think about, and remember, when starting out on this journey ....

That was a really helpful article, thank you very much!
I'm in the same situation as you at the moment. I've found it helpful to think about what sort of atmosphere I want to study in - the general location like campus or city uni, what amenities are in the local area (it might be important to you that it has a sports ground nearby/on campus, or that there's a great theatre or shopping centre nearby). Also I've been thinking about choosing universities with varying entry standards to visit - it's important to have one or two 'back-up' options on your UCAS application and perhaps an option you feel is a little more challenging (like the very top Russell Group unis) because you never know whether you might do just that bit better than you're predicted. Not one that's too much of a stretch for your grades though, there's no point applying somewhere that's absolutely no question of getting in :smile:

I've visited two in 2016 and hope to visit perhaps 4 more this year, so I can make an informed choice. Those are just some of my thoughts having been advised by teachers and year 13s. Good luck!
Original post by fish_and_chips
I'm in the same situation as you at the moment. I've found it helpful to think about what sort of atmosphere I want to study in - the general location like campus or city uni, what amenities are in the local area (it might be important to you that it has a sports ground nearby/on campus, or that there's a great theatre or shopping centre nearby). Also I've been thinking about choosing universities with varying entry standards to visit - it's important to have one or two 'back-up' options on your UCAS application and perhaps an option you feel is a little more challenging (like the very top Russell Group unis) because you never know whether you might do just that bit better than you're predicted. Not one that's too much of a stretch for your grades though, there's no point applying somewhere that's absolutely no question of getting in :smile:

I've visited two in 2016 and hope to visit perhaps 4 more this year, so I can make an informed choice. Those are just some of my thoughts having been advised by teachers and year 13s. Good luck!

Hello,
This is all really useful, thank you! Honestly I'm not too keen on the thought of several different campuses spread out that you''d often find in London universities, but I worry that I could be overlooking the perfect university for me because of something like this.
Thank you very much, I will definitely take your advice into consideration. Good luck to you too!

Quick Reply

Latest