The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by stoyfan
What was so racist about some guy getting shot with a taser?

Why? because he is black? What if a white guy got shot with a taser, you probably wouldn't call that racist.

You don't even know whether race was involved in him getting shot.

There is the chance it wasn't racist but it probably was.

If the guy was white I would still be on his side fyi.

Original post by l'etranger
The Guardian video really doesn't help his case.

I thought you were a proper libertarian.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ChaoticButterfly

Is it not possible to engage in a discussion within a certain framework of rules whilst simultaneously not actually subscribing to that framework?
HANDS UP DON'T TASER!

Some prick decided it would be a good idea to resist arrest and got what he deserved.

His colour is immaterial, him being a prick is what counts.

Maybe the snowflakes triggered by this could start a movement....

PLM.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ChaoticButterfly

In my ideal country, you would have no obligation to even talk with the police and not talking with them would not result in arrest because there would be no state police, but ignoring my Randian fantasies, the best way to fight oppressive systems is to hold people to their own standards, even if it seems petty or absurd. Given that this man apparently deals with the police as part of his activism (so he should know better) as well as the fact they did not go straight for the arrest, but instead explained why he was being asked the question, it's hard to argue police malpractice within the framework of their own governing rules of conduct.
Reply 44
Original post by Palmyra
(he "refused to give his name" )

As is his legal right

Original post by Palmyra
- The suspect tries to walk away, but the police man gently signals he is not being given permission to do so.

I did not realise I needed permission to walk away from a police officer when I have not been arrested or stopped for the purpose of a lawful search

Original post by Palmyra
- The police woman then says: "I've asked you to remain calm" in a clearly non-threatening and polite manner.

Not remaining calm is not an offence

Original post by Palmyra
Does not telling the police your name justify being tasered? Obviously not, but combine that with getting a bit shouty and trying to leave and you can start to see why the police might be suspicious.

Them being suspicious is equally not justification for being tazered.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Palmyra
Is it not possible to engage in a discussion within a certain framework of rules whilst simultaneously not actually subscribing to that framework?

^^

Literally just made this point.
Original post by Palmyra
Slightly annoyed? Maybe. Aggressive? No chance. The police are doing a job and if they have stopped me it must be for a good reason. I may dispute that reason, and it may turn out to be a reason based on bad information, but I understand the importance of the police and the dynamics of my relationship with them if I ever were to be approached by them.

The police are perfectly entitled to be "aggressive" (in so far as you define a police officer "trying to arrest" someone as "aggressive" ) , but suspects are not. As I have mentioned, it is not a relationship of equals.

On balance - despite the man's aggressive actions, attempts to flee and non-compliance - I would probably agree that tasering him was not strictly necessary. However, I understand why they did so - he was refusing to comply and attempting to flee.

What is the relevance of this?

I never argued that he did assault the police officers. Besides, obviously they would drop the charges even if he had assaulted them - they're getting bad enough press already.

Slightly retarded of you to assume I would be referring to that video (which wasn't mentioned anywhere in this thread until you posted it), instead of the one in the OP, but I digress.

Shall we go through the first 5 seconds (or however long you think necessary to prove your assertion that the police were the initial aggressors) of this video too?

Lol didn't take long for names to be called.

I never 'assumed' you would be watching the same video as me which is why in one of my posts I said you probably aren't watching the same one as me seeing as you were making the statements you were making.

They were. In the first five seconds the policeman was in his face and the man calmly asked him leave him alone and that he has done no wrong. The police continue to accuse him of a crime they have no proof he committed. They are intent on arresting him though he has told them he's not who they are looking for.
The police continue to harass him and of course he raises his voice because
1. He is someone that is known to the police for his work as a peacekeeper.
2. This is the SECOND time he has been falsely accused of being the SAME man.

I am going to take the word of an actual witness to the happening over yours, someone that wasn't even there.
The way the police treated him was unfair. I don't know why you're trying to justify their actions.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Reue
As is his legal right

Is matching the description of a suspect and refusing to give his name grounds for arrest? (I'm asking this is good faith.)
Reply 48
Is matching the description of a suspect and refusing to give his name grounds for arrest? (I'm asking this is good faith.)

As this is the 2nd time he has been arrested for the mistaken identity I would say not. He won compensation for the first time, so clearly that arrest was wrong.
Original post by StrawbAri
He wasn't being aggressive. The accusing way they approached him was wrong and he refused to be addressed that way. He simply tried to walk back into his home and they tasered him.
How the hell do you justify that?

I know - sometimes the police get things completely and utterly wrong, and this was one of those cases. I wonder if the police would like it if they got tasered when they tried walking back into their house?!

Mis-use of weapons - the police themselves should be charged with assault and get locked up for it.
Original post by Reue
As this is the 2nd time he has been arrested for the mistaken identity I would say not. He won compensation for the first time, so clearly that arrest was wrong.

Was the successful claim due only to the wrongful arrest or were there additional aggravating circumstances?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 51
Was the successful claim due only to the wrongful arrest or were there additional aggravating circumstances?

It is the second time Mr Adunbi has been mistaken for the same man.
In 2009 he won a wrongful arrest case against Avon and Somerset Police and was awarded compensation.
Original post by princechromey
I know - sometimes the police get things completely and utterly wrong, and this was one of those cases. I wonder if the police would like it if they got tasered when they tried walking back into their house?!

Mis-use of weapons - the police themselves should be charged with assault and get locked up for it.

Not just one of those cases, the second time it has happened to the same guy.
Original post by Reue
It is the second time Mr Adunbi has been mistaken for the same man.
In 2009 he won a wrongful arrest case against Avon and Somerset Police and was awarded compensation.

I would happily screw the police, but you would need to know more such whether Mr Adunbi was wrongly imprisoned and for how long, whether reasonable care was taken to ascertain the identity of the man in question (surely they know the address of the suspect they actually wish to arrest) or what loss if any was suffered as a result of the wrongful arrest.
He wasn't being aggressive. The accusing way they approached him was wrong and he refused to be addressed that way. He simply tried to walk back into his home and they tasered him.
How the hell do you justify that?

Idiot trying to make a point gets hassle

meanwhile most normal people realise that a few minutes to allow the Police to deal with the relevant inquriies is a small price to pay for living in a developed country which is relatively safe...

Here is the full unedited version.

Having watched this a few times the stupid ***** didn't even aim her weapon before firing, completely incompetency with a firearm.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 56
I would happily screw the police, but you would need to know more such whether Mr Adunbi was wrongly imprisoned and for how long, whether reasonable care was taken to ascertain the identity of the man in question (surely they know the address of the suspect they actually wish to arrest) or what loss if any was suffered as a result of the wrongful arrest.

No I wouldnt, the court already has and sided with him.
Did you watch the video?
It's clear the police were the initial aggressors. Even the neighbours that videoed it said so.
Lol run away? He was walking back to his house. You really couldn't have watched the same video as me because he wasn't causing a scene or being as agressive they were.

and your understanding of the use of force in Law Enforcement /Emergency care / Acute Psychiatry / CJS settings is what exactly ?

ditto your training in control and restraint techhniques ...
Original post by princechromey

Police officers are not so arrogant / stuipd / selfish as to resist arrest and escalate the requirement of use of force .

the fact this chip on shoulder person has a history of such incidents is perhaps telling.

Idiots like this who are white are ten a penny either becasue they think they are hard or are freewibblers ... they don;t play the race card and get fawned over senior officers and a nice wedge though ...
Original post by zippyRN
Idiot trying to make a point gets hassle

meanwhile most normal people realise that a few minutes to allow the Police to deal with the relevant inquriies is a small price to pay for living in a developed country which is relatively safe...

Please read the thread.
This is the second time the police are mistaking this man for the same person.
It is incredibly stupid that since 2009 the police still do not know how the actual suspect looks like/possible location and will willingly harrass any black man that vaguely fits the description. What are the odds that a wanted criminal will stay in plain sight going about normal business even though he knows he is wanted by police?

Most normal people would've reacted the same way if they were notable peacemakers in their society and have literally made it their job to help race relations in their community only to be harassed not once but twice just because of the way they look.
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending