The Student Room Group

Manchester Medicine (A106) 2018 entry

Hey guys,

I know it's super duper early but i thought i'd set this up so that anyone who is hoping to apply for medicine at manchester this year can discuss any issues or get advice from fellow TSRians!

Now remember Manchester is PBL and supports your learning through lectures, early clinical placements, simulation sessions, anatomy dissection etc...

Also Manchester is a UKCAT heavy university. They have a UKCAT cut off for interview usually around the 60th - 70th percentile so you need to do well in your UKCAT!

So we can start by posting some stats...
Gcse: 7A* 2A 1B 1C

If anyone has any questions about manchester please post them... i might be able to answer some as i have already done some research into this university :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The Sikh Surgeon
Hey guys,

I know it's super duper early but i thought i'd set this up in case i dont get in this year 😞. Also so that anyone who is hoping to apply for medicine at manchester this year can discuss any issues or get advice from fellow TSRians!

Now remember Manchester is PBL but supports your learning through lectures, early clinical placements, simulation sessions, anatomy dissection etc...

Also Manchester is a UKCAT heavy university. They have a UKCAT cut off for interview usually around the 60th - 70th percentile so you need to do well in your UKCAT!

So we can start by posting some stats...
Gcse: 7A* 2A 1B 1C

If anyone has any questions about manchester please post them... i might be able to answer some as i have already done some research into this university :smile:

Hey!

I'm thinking of applying to Manchester for medicine this year.

I got 4A* 5A 1B at gcse do you think thts okay?

I also wanted to ask what you got on the ukcat and what resources you used.

Did you get an interview from manchester this year?

Thanks for the help! :smile:
Original post by Bryana2000
Hey!

I'm thinking of applying to Manchester for medicine this year.

I got 4A* 5A 1B at gcse do you think thts okay?

I also wanted to ask what you got on the ukcat and what resources you used.

Did you get an interview from manchester this year?

Thanks for the help! :smile:

Hey

Your gcses are well above the 5 A/A* requirement!

I got 663 and band 2
I used the 1000Q isc book and medify
The cut off this year was 653 so i was just above :smile:. Also Manchester do not take the SJT band score into account.

Yes i got an interview :biggrin:

And btw i won't be reapplying this year as i received an offer from Hull York Medical School but i'm still here to give advice! :tongue:
(edited 7 years ago)
Hey

Your gcses are well above the 5 A/A* requirement!

I got 663 and band 2
I used the 1000Q isc book and medify
The cut off this year was 653 so i was just above :smile:. Also Manchester do not take the SJT band score into account.

Yes i got an interview :biggrin:

And btw i won't be reapplying this year as i received an offer from Hull York Medical School but i'm still here to give advice! :tongue:

Yay!

Nice score! Thanks, I'll be using the same resources :tongue: And well done on meeting the cut off

Wow! How did it go? I dont even know how im gunna handle interviews (if i get any! 😂)
Can i also ask what you used to prepare?

Omg really?! That's awesome! Congrats on the offer! :biggrin:

Where else have you applied? Have you got any other interviews?
Yay!

Nice score! Thanks, I'll be using the same resources :tongue: And well done on meeting the cut off

Wow! How did it go? I dont even know how im gunna handle interviews (if i get any! 😂)
Can i also ask what you used to prepare?

Omg really?! That's awesome! Congrats on the offer! :biggrin:

Where else have you applied? Have you got any other interviews?

Yh the resources were very useful especially medify. And thanks :h:

I thought it went pretty well. Better than HYMS! 😂 So really hoping for an offer as Manchester is my first choice. I used the ISC Medical Interview book (this is very useful), read current medical news (bbc health) and talked to current medical students and junior doctors for advice.

Haha thanks :smile:

In order of preference, ive applied to:
Manchester
Leicester
Liverpool
HYMS

I've received interviews from them all :biggrin:

I know you've got like 9 months until you apply but what other medical schools are you interested in?

Another thing... make sure you attend the open days in june/july as i had to attend the open days in sept/oct which is when you apply :redface: so it was just a big rush!
Yh the resources were very useful especially medify. And thanks :h:

I thought it went pretty well. Better than HYMS! 😂 So really hoping for an offer as Manchester is my first choice. I used the ISC Medical Interview book (this is very useful), read current medical news (bbc health) and talked to current medical students and junior doctors for advice.

Haha thanks :smile:

In order of preference, ive applied to:
Manchester
Leicester
Liverpool
HYMS

I've received interviews from them all :biggrin:

I know you've got like 9 months until you apply but what other medical schools are you interested in?

Another thing... make sure you attend the open days in june/july as i had to attend the open days in sept/oct which is when you apply :redface: so it was just a big rush!

That's great! Well i hope you get an offer! And i think manchester will most likely be my first choice too! Thanks i'll try getting that book.

Wow great choices! And WELL DONE on the 4 interviews!

I'm not totally sure yet... but im thinking Manchester, Nottingham, Birmingham, Liverpool and Keele so far.

Thanks i'll be sure to book the open days early! :tongue:
That's great! Well i hope you get an offer! And i think manchester will most likely be my first choice too! Thanks i'll try getting that book.

Wow great choices! And WELL DONE on the 4 interviews!

I'm not totally sure yet... but im thinking Manchester, Nottingham, Birmingham, Liverpool and Keele so far.

Thanks i'll be sure to book the open days early! :tongue:

Those choices are great! I'm guessing you wont be taking the bmat?

Those choices are great! I'm guessing you wont be taking the bmat?

Yh i don't think i'll be doing that

Do you know the competition for places at manchester? Like how many people applied, how many got interviews and how many got offers?

Also i've started doing some work experience in a hospice. And i'm hoping to organise a placement in a gp surgery. Do you think this is enough? What other experience can i get?
Hi,

Im a current AS student studying bio chem and maths and im hoping to apply for medicine at the University of Manchester for 2018 entry

My stats:
6A* 3A 1B
Yh i don't think i'll be doing that

Do you know the competition for places at manchester? Like how many people applied, how many got interviews and how many got offers?

Also i've started doing some work experience in a hospice. And i'm hoping to organise a placement in a gp surgery. Do you think this is enough? What other experience can i get?

This data is for last year (2016 entry)...

the number of applicants - 2114
no. who received an interview - 987
no. who received an offer - 704

Yes that's great. Also try getting some sort of experience in a hospital if possible.

Manchester make you fill out a Non-Academic Information form which is basically another personal statement except it tells you what it wants. So for example one of the sections is 'A caring role' and here you can put that you volunteered at a hospice for x amount of time. However, you can't include the gp shadowing as Manchester want to know what YOU have done yourself not what other doctors do.

Other than that also make sure you are doing some extra curricular activities!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Medicine Maniac
Hi,

Im a current AS student studying bio chem and maths and im hoping to apply for medicine at the University of Manchester for 2018 entry

My stats:
6A* 3A 1B

Awesome! :smile:

Your gcses are fine for manchester.

Where else are you thinking of applying?
This data is for last year (2016 entry)...

the number of applicants - 2114
no. who received an interview - 987
no. who received an offer - 704

Yes that's great. Also try getting some sort of experience in a hospital if possible.

Manchester make you fill out a Non-Academic Information form which is basically another personal statement except it tells you what it wants. So for example one of the sections is 'A caring role' and here you can put that you volunteered at a hospice for x amount of time. However, you can't include the gp shadowing as Manchester want to know what YOU have done yourself not what other doctors do.

Other than that also make sure you are doing some extra curricular activities!

Thank you so much!

Wow those stats look good :smile: so that means i'll have a very good chance of an offer if i get an interview. And it also means that you are highly likely to get an offer as your interview went well! :biggrin:

Okay i'll try organising some at a hospital. And thanks for letting me know about that form. Do i have to complete that form in the summer holidays?

Well so far for extra curricular i've got:
Playing for college netball team
DofE Gold
Learning to play the violin

That's about it i think :frown: should i do more?
Thank you so much!

Wow those stats look good :smile: so that means i'll have a very good chance of an offer if i get an interview. And it also means that you are highly likely to get an offer as your interview went well! :biggrin:

Okay i'll try organising some at a hospital. And thanks for letting me know about that form. Do i have to complete that form in the summer holidays?

Well so far for extra curricular i've got:
Playing for college netball team
DofE Gold
Learning to play the violin

That's about it i think :frown: should i do more?

Yep they are. And thanks hopefully i get one :h:

Well you dont have to as the form is sent to you from manchester and you have until 31 October to complete it. Dw it's not as bad as your personal statement. Just get everything in there and do some reflection.

Those extra curricular activities are great and should be enough! :smile:
Yep they are. And thanks hopefully i get one :h:

Well you dont have to as the form is sent to you from manchester and you have until 31 October to complete it. Dw it's not as bad as your personal statement. Just get everything in there and do some reflection.

Those extra curricular activities are great and should be enough! :smile:

Can't believe they make you do that :angry: thanks for the heads up!

Okay thank you! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Can't believe they make you do that :angry: thanks for the heads up!

Okay thank you! :smile:

I know :unimpressed: and np
Hiii guys,
2018 Medicine hopeful as well😁

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kaffeka
Hiii guys,
2018 Medicine hopeful as well😁

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey!

What are your stats?
Where are you hoping to apply?
[QUOTE="Surgeon;69721334" The="The" Sikh="Sikh"]Hey!

What are your stats?
Where are you hoping to apply?[/QUOTE)
Hi,
I have 2A* 5As and 3Bs
I'm doing psychology English literature preclinical Biology and Chemistry working at AAAB distinction so far don't know my predicted grades
I'm hoping to apply to Keele, Imperial, St George's but don't know a 4th yet
Wbu?
I think it might be Manchester tho looks really good
Original post by kaffeka

Hi,
I have 2A* 5As and 3Bs
I'm doing psychology English literature preclinical Biology and Chemistry working at AAAB distinction so far don't know my predicted grades
I'm hoping to apply to Keele, Imperial, St George's but don't know a 4th yet
Wbu?

Your gcses are great for manchester!

Good choices! I've already applied for 2017 entry:
Manchester
Leicester
Liverpool
HYMS
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending