The Student Room Group

What do i pick for a-levels? Help!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Carthaginian
Hmmm, not sure.
I will see how it's like on the open day.

I was at my sixth form's open day, I totally sold chemistry to the masses. :colone:

Do go through an A-level chem textbook just to see what the material is like.
Strongly suggest maths for computing. I would also recommend further maths however your grade is not very strong for furthers maths at the moment...

...HOWEVER, i went from a B to A* in year 11 in maths (I got low B in year 10 end of year exams. Got an A* in the end). You really need to get support from your teacher because maths is a funny subject. If you FULLY understand a basic concept then you will start to recognise how it is related to other areas of maths which is why I really love maths!!

However, if you don't fully understand a basic concept then get help from your teacher, bombard them with questions after school because it's their job to help and teach you!

If you do this now then you will be rewarded fantastically in August, no doubt about that. Then you can do further maths! :biggrin:

I also suggest taking computing but it isn't actually necessary for a computing degree. Maths is however compulsory for most universities.

However, because you know you want to do a computer science related degree, do computing because it'll give you a nice foundation for your course.

O
Original post by BTAnonymous
Strongly suggest maths for computing. I would also recommend further maths however your grade is not very strong for furthers maths at the moment...

...HOWEVER, i went from a B to A* in year 11 in maths (I got low B in year 10 end of year exams. Got an A* in the end). You really need to get support from your teacher because maths is a funny subject. If you FULLY understand a basic concept then you will start to recognise how it is related to other areas of maths which is why I really love maths!!

However, if you don't fully understand a basic concept then get help from your teacher, bombard them with questions after school because it's their job to help and teach you!

If you do this now then you will be rewarded fantastically in August, no doubt about that. Then you can do further maths! :biggrin:

I also suggest taking computing but it isn't actually necessary for a computing degree. Maths is however compulsory for most universities.

However, because you know you want to do a computer science related degree, do computing because it'll give you a nice foundation for your course.

O

There are no computing courses in my college :frown:
There are no computing courses in my college :frown:

Oh wow that is unfortunate... there is a deficit of ICT and computing teachers atm. My mum has been offered loads of teaching jobs because of her degree in ICT and business. I think they're very desperate and will take on anyone atm.

If you're interested in computing then do Maths, maybe ICT.

Maths is required for a computing degree at most universities if not all.
Original post by BTAnonymous
Oh wow that is unfortunate... there is a deficit of ICT and computing teachers atm. My mum has been offered loads of teaching jobs because of her degree in ICT and business. I think they're very desperate and will take on anyone atm.

If you're interested in computing then do Maths, maybe ICT.

Maths is required for a computing degree at most universities if not all.

Right. I've decided on CompSci, Maths and Biology.
I need to study hard for maths now, not so much for CompSci gcse as i'm finding it easy.
Right. I've decided on CompSci, Maths and Biology.
I need to study hard for maths now, not so much for CompSci gcse as i'm finding it easy.

Good choices I say :]

Good luck with your revision and best of luck with your exams. Teachers are there to help remember!

Quick Reply

Latest