The Student Room Group

Are 21st century Liberals actually Liberal?

I've noticed a large amount of protest to Le Donalds presidency. Obviously from the opposition which is the left -who are supposed to support freedom and democracy. Then why must they protest a democratic election and not even give the bloke a chance? I'm not a Trump supporter but if I'd have spent so much time and effort campaigning I'd be quite p*ssed off that people won't even respect the democratic election and give me a chance.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JackG9
I'm not a Trump supporter but if I'd have spent so much time and effort campaigning I'd be quite p*ssed off that people won't even respect the democratic election and give me a chance.

I'm not a Clinton supporter but if I'd have spent so much time and effort campaigning I'd be quite p*ssed off that the electoral system enabled the candidate who received comfortably fewer votes to be declared the winner.
Original post by anarchism101
I'm not a Clinton supporter but if I'd have spent so much time and effort campaigning I'd be quite p*ssed off that the electoral system enabled the candidate who received comfortably fewer votes to be declared the winner.

Both Trump and Clinton would have campaigned in many different states and with different resources if it was based on the popular vote. That's a silly argument.
At least fascists are honest about being pro-censorship and anti-democracy. These 'liberals' will make you think you are free and then stab you in the back. Very childish...
(edited 7 years ago)
They are in fact the opposite.
Original post by midnightice
Both Trump and Clinton would have campaigned in many different states and with different resources if it was based on the popular vote. That's a silly argument.

They likely would have done, yes, but that's in no way a defence of the electoral college.
They likely would have done, yes, but that's in no way a defence of the electoral college.

I think it is very fair, otherwise California would effectively always decide who was president each time.
Original post by midnightice
I think it is very fair, otherwise California would effectively always decide who was president each time.

Not really, California is just 12% of the US population.
Not really, California is just 12% of the US population.

Just 12%...
Reply 9
The complete opposite. They are the ones trying to prohibit free speech now.
Reply 10
That's such a stupid argument. Trump played to win the electoral votes not the popular vote. It's like playing football; trump played to win the game , not to play good football.
Original post by JackG9
I've noticed a large amount of protest to Le Donalds presidency. Obviously from the opposition which is the left -who are supposed to support freedom and democracy. Then why must they protest a democratic election and not even give the bloke a chance? I'm not a Trump supporter but if I'd have spent so much time and effort campaigning I'd be quite p*ssed off that people won't even respect the democratic election and give me a chance.

Protesting a result is not the same thing as protesting democracy.

You don't have to accept the result of an election and 'unite' behind that. If you did then we shouldn't even bother having democracy at all.
Reply 12
Original post by SHallowvale
Protesting a result is not the same thing as protesting democracy.

You don't have to accept the result of an election and 'unite' behind that. If you did then we shouldn't even bother having democracy at all.

he hasnt even done anything yet lol what you gotta protest about ahaha youre trying to overturn a election through protest
People normally protest democratic elections when it doesn't favour them. It's not exactly a new thing.
The republicans also protested Obama's election back in 2008.
Original post by StrawbAri
People normally protest democratic elections when it doesn't favour them. It's not exactly a new thing.

They didn't break windows and spraypaint private property.
Original post by JackG9
That's such a stupid argument. Trump played to win the electoral votes not the popular vote.

Which is a systemic problem. I'm not blaming Trump for not seeking the popular vote, I'm blaming the electoral college for not requiring and incentivising him to do so.
Reply 16
Original post by StrawbAri

Not to the same extent as Trump
Original post by Pikachū

Property is theft!

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by JackG9

Fact is he's president but that doesn't mean we can't hold him to account. Protests are a key part of the democratic process.
I am wholeheartedly against him getting rid of climate change action, to me climate change is an issue that shouldn't be left until it's too late,
But not only that, he didn't get the most votes! He got over a million less than Clinton. That's odd.
But Abraham Lincoln won the election with less votes than his opponent and he did a great job as president in my opinion. So we'll just have to see but Trumps outlook I don't agree with.
Original post by Pikachū

Maybe not exactly but
They behaved pretty badly imo

They even torched a black church smh
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest