The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by high
Great advice! Is there a place you can recommend to get med interview questions?

Loads and loads of questions on various topic here :smile:
https://www.themedicportal.com/e-learning/interview/
Reply 2781
Original post by neuromeg
Loads and loads of questions on various topic here :smile:
https://www.themedicportal.com/e-learning/interview/

Thank you! So much these are excellent. It's helping a lot with articulating my feelings towards studying medicine.
Original post by high
Great advice! Is there a place you can recommend to get med interview questions?

On here, lots of googling. Thinking of the obvious stuff they will ask you, i wouldn't read too may books etc as you'll end up using their answers if you're not careful!
Hi! Has anyone who has applied to both grad and undergrad courses at the same uni (for example Barts) receive 2 separate interviews? Or do they interview you once for the grad program and then decide where to put you?

Any advice appreciated, thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jessicac316
Hi! Has anyone who has applied to both grad and undergrad courses at the same uni (for example Barts) receive 2 separate interviews? Or do they interview you once for the grad program and then decide where to put you?

Any advice appreciated, thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was wondering wether it would be worth applying for both, I heard people who apply for the graduate get offers for the undergrad if they meet the requirements

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Osiris Wintereisse
I am a GEM applicant, and Exeter/Plymouth do only look at your GAMSAT results to decide whether to offer you an interview or not. I've spoken to the admission offices as well. This is a copy and paste from their FAQ (Exeter)

On the other hand, if you have completed a degree programme or it has been more than two years since you completed your full A levels, you will be considered as a non-direct school leaver. In this instance you will be required to take the Graduate Medical School Admissions Test (GAMSAT) in order to be considered. Your performance in GAMSAT will be the only necessary information on your application. Your performance in a prior degree or past secondary school will not be taken into consideration. Applicants who achieve less than 59 overall are unlikely to be invited to attend an interview. Threshold scores in each section will need to be met.

Thanks alot for your reply. My apologies for the late reply.
That is very assuring! That means the GAMSAT plays a big role here.
This is not a surprise to be frank as the GAMSAT is certainly not an easy exam to do well in.
I am not much happier after hearing this :smile: Thank you.
Does anyone who's interviewed previously at SGUL know if it's usually a single question per station? Been practising and my interview books recommend a maximum of 2.5-3 mins per answer but I don't want overrun trying to use the 5 minutes appropriately, especially if unbeknownst to me they are planning asking a second question that I don't leave time for.

Anyone any experience with this? I know each station is essentially 'themed' but unsure if it's a single question/task or multiple.

Posted from TSR Mobile
are you allowed a pen and paper during the MMI?
Original post by emmawyeth
are you allowed a pen and paper during the MMI?

Depends, Newcastle let us take notes but Warwick didn`t.
At least for in between stations.
Reply 2789
Original post by Muazzama6
Actully i already have a 4 years degree in Clinical psychology, now i m doing undergraduate degree in biomedical. Because i didnt know that i can apply to medical schools with my degree in clinical psychology. Now i cant do anything because i have to complete my degree in biomed as i spoke to cardiff uni they said u have to complete ur degree before going anyway else. Ya i studies english and maths in my school days.

They're wrong. Leicester, Newcastle, Exeter, and Plymouth were all happy to accept my application when I was in my first year of biomed.
Did you sit the same MMI we did? Graduates didn't need a pen and paper, was all spoken or acted out
Hi,
I know its early but i got an offer in sheffield uni for biomed and clinical science in bradford so i can transfer to leeds medicine, what would be thr best option. Also, i dont know if ill be one of the 20 people out of 180 thatll transfer, i really wanna do GEM
Sheffield uni then medicine - 7 years
Clinical science transfer -6 years
If i dont get the transfer in clinic sci - 8 years
Id appreaciate if someone would respond back😀
Also how competitive is GEM my grades are:
Biology - A
Maths - B
Applied science - D*D*
Original post by jahidur99
Hi,
I know its early but i got an offer in sheffield uni for biomed and clinical science in bradford so i can transfer to leeds medicine, what would be thr best option. Also, i dont know if ill be one of the 20 people out of 180 thatll transfer, i really wanna do GEM
Biology - A
Maths - B
Applied science - D*D*

Hi,
I've just graduated from Sheffield uni biomed and have been offered a place doing medicine at HYMS.
Sheffield offer a transfer to medicine at the end of 1st year biomed if you have AAA at A level. It's up to you how important the time frame is- an extra couple of years studying compared to 40 years in a career you love is pretty negligible. Sheffield is a fantastic uni and a degree from there will look good when you come to apply for medicine afterwards. Hope this helps. If you have any other questions just let me know 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by darioholic
Did you sit the same MMI we did? Graduates didn't need a pen and paper, was all spoken or acted out

Never said you needed pen and paper! Just that they were fine with you taking them in. One guy in my group had a little notebook were he seemed to brainstorm in the interval as he was scribbling down stuff.

Posted from TSR Mobile
[QUOTE="medicwannabe21;69675556"]Hi,
I've just graduated from Sheffield uni biomed and have been offered a place doing medicine at HYMS.
Sheffield offer a transfer to medicine at the end of 1st year biomed if you have AAA at A level. It's up to you how important the time frame is- an extra couple of years studying compared to 40 years in a career you love is pretty negligible. Sheffield is a fantastic uni and a degree from there will look good when you come to apply for medicine afterwards. Hope this helps. If you have any other questions just let me know 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile[/QUOTE
[QUOTE="jahidur99;69681682"]
Original post by medicwannabe21
Hi,

Posted from TSR Mobile[/QUOTE

Just like to point out that the institute that you get your degree has next to no influence on your application to graduate medicine, so don't let ranking be a big influence on the choice

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,
Biology - A
Maths - B
Applied science - D*D*

Hi to anyone reading this - last time I posted I got "censored" - aka Clinical Sciences admins managed to get it taken down but I cannot read what you are saying without sharing this with you.

I want to be of any assistance possible here. Last year I graduated from the Clinical Sciences degree after doing the full 4 years (which included the foundation year). The course is a shambles full of lies and false promises from day 1. I, like many others, was lured onto the degree having missed the grades to be able to get directly into Medical school and was assured I would be a very strong candidate for the transfer and that there would be 50 people on the course going for the 20 transfer places of foundation year and 20 transfer places of year 1. There were over 110 students on my first day of the course and there was the evident first lie of the experience. (They are now taking on well over 200 students for the same 20 places). Suddenly prospects of having a 1 in 2.5 chance of transfer for each year became almost a 1 in 6. From day 1 it was evident that the 'widening participation' aspect of the course just wasn't the case. I was competing against students with straight A's and higher at A level and it became quickly apparent that the course was nothing more than a money making machine that was playing on people's desperation to get into Medical school.

Many people met the grades (70% average in foundation year and 60% in first year) which ultimately meant people who had done nothing but work in order to transfer into Leeds didn't. You are treated with less respect, less fairness and less professionalism than you are in primary school throughout the degree, particularly in years 2 and 3 when you haven't transferred and are effectively trapped in their system. The teaching quality is often appalling, exam standards are shocking and the culture of bullying stems from the top down.

I cannot strongly enough express how awful this degree was. Where those who work for the faculty would say that those who didn't transfer are just bitter (this was indeed used against us by the course director when we politely asked for a meeting to discuss our concerns), that is simply not the case.

Please do not do this degree. I, having graduated with a 2.1 and moved on with my life, feel that it is my duty to warn others and inform others who are considering this path what an awful lie the whole things is. There is a thread from as long as 10 years ago stating the exact same feelings as I write here today so please believe me when I say that the way I feel is a general consensus and not just the thoughts of one individual. I will include the links to other threads at the end of mine. If you want to private message me at all or have more questions please do not hesitate to ask. If you feel that this course is the best way to get into Medicine please just explore all other options. I would tell my 18 year old self to do a degree I would enjoy, perhaps nursing/physiotherapy/midwifery/biomedical sciences then apply to graduate Medicine afterwards. I do not want anyone to go through what I and so many of my peers have.

Feel free to ask me more and stay clear of Clinical Sciences!

A quick look on the course page (scroll to the bottom) will show the student satisfaction score was just 36% - this is NOT normal!!
http://www.bradford.ac.uk/study/courses/info/clinical-sciences-bsc-3-years

Here is the link to the thread stating the same problems from 10 years ago: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=266482&page=2
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2797
**** man, that is rough. Hope you are okay. It's awful how these higher education institutions exploit the dreams of young people.
Original post by GalaxyBlue22
Hi to anyone reading this - last time I posted I got "censored" - aka Clinical Sciences admins managed to get it taken down but I cannot read what you are saying without sharing this with you.

I want to be of any assistance possible here. Last year I graduated from the Clinical Sciences degree after doing the full 4 years (which included the foundation year). The course is a shambles full of lies and false promises from day 1. I, like many others, was lured onto the degree having missed the grades to be able to get directly into Medical school and was assured I would be a very strong candidate for the transfer and that there would be 50 people on the course going for the 20 transfer places of foundation year and 20 transfer places of year 1. There were over 110 students on my first day of the course and there was the evident first lie of the experience. (They are now taking on well over 200 students for the same 20 places). Suddenly prospects of having a 1 in 2.5 chance of transfer for each year became almost a 1 in 6. From day 1 it was evident that the 'widening participation' aspect of the course just wasn't the case. I was competing against students with straight A's and higher at A level and it became quickly apparent that the course was nothing more than a money making machine that was playing on people's desperation to get into Medical school.

Many people met the grades (70% average in foundation year and 60% in first year) which ultimately meant people who had done nothing but work in order to transfer into Leeds didn't. You are treated with less respect, less fairness and less professionalism than you are in primary school throughout the degree, particularly in years 2 and 3 when you haven't transferred and are effectively trapped in their system. The teaching quality is often appalling, exam standards are shocking and the culture of bullying stems from the top down.

I cannot strongly enough express how awful this degree was. Where those who work for the faculty would say that those who didn't transfer are just bitter (this was indeed used against us by the course director when we politely asked for a meeting to discuss our concerns), that is simply not the case.

Please do not do this degree. I, having graduated with a 2.1 and moved on with my life, feel that it is my duty to warn others and inform others who are considering this path what an awful lie the whole things is. There is a thread from as long as 10 years ago stating the exact same feelings as I write here today so please believe me when I say that the way I feel is a general consensus and not just the thoughts of one individual. I will include the links to other threads at the end of mine. If you want to private message me at all or have more questions please do not hesitate to ask. If you feel that this course is the best way to get into Medicine please just explore all other options. I would tell my 18 year old self to do a degree I would enjoy, perhaps nursing/physiotherapy/midwifery/biomedical sciences then apply to graduate Medicine afterwards. I do not want anyone to go through what I and so many of my peers have.

Feel free to ask me more and stay clear of Clinical Sciences!

A quick look on the course page (scroll to the bottom) will show the student satisfaction score was just 36% - this is NOT normal!!
http://www.bradford.ac.uk/study/courses/info/clinical-sciences-bsc-3-years

Here is the link to the thread stating the same problems from 10 years ago: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=266482&page=2

That's so awful. I've always had my heart set on medicine and I considered doing a foundation year at Bradford but I'm so glad I just did Biomed elsewhere. Hope you've managed to move on from it but if you feel passionate about speaking out against it, consider taking it further officially or with newspapers. No university should be a cash cow.
Hi,
Biology - A
Maths - B
Applied science - D*D*

I also did Biomed at Sheffield and now have 1 grad-entry Medicine offer and waiting on 2 more interviews :smile:

I'd definitely recommend Sheffield! The course is certainly demanding but I feel I learned heaps (really do feel prepared for the challenges and content of GEM) plus in second year you do a year-long cadaveric dissection module :h:
The city is also stellar! I volunteer at the Children's Hospital there (right next to the Biomed buildings) which has been so useful for understanding the NHS and getting meaningful work experience I can talk about at interview :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending