The Student Room Group

Was feminism made for the benefit of white women

I don't see feminist caring about the wellbeing of women and girls in third world countries where they live in danger and poverty on a daily basis. Instead, we see white women the most prevlidged group of people in the west looking out for their own self interest I.e constantly demanding pay increases when actually if they were really good at what they do then no one will say no to a pay increase.

Then they moan about not being represented in lucrative STEM fields when no one is stopping girls from pursuing STEM subjects like Electrical engineering and chemical engineering. There are not that many girls working as bin women, miners, sewage worker why can't feminists demand that there are equal reprentation on those fields??? PS I'm a girl BTW!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jee1
I don't see feminist caring about the wellbeing of women and girls in third world countries where they live in danger and poverty on a daily basis. Instead, we see white women the most prevlidged group of people in the west looking out for their own self interest I.e constantly demanding pay increases when actually if they were really good at what they do then no one will say no to a pay increase.

Then they moan about not being represented in lucrative STEM fields when no one is stopping girls from pursuing STEM subjects like Electrical engineering and chemical engineering. There are not that many girls working as bin women, miners, sewage worker why can't feminists demand that there are equal reprentation on those fields??? PS I'm a girl BTW!

Finally a women who agrees!
Trust me feminism was definitely made to benefit white women.100%
Even after today where women do have total women's rights they are still banging on about it like its a big deal. Nowadays feminists just complain that other women are lazy and don't try for STEM degrees or try and make it into professional sports.
Selfish- there are women on the other side of the world such as Africa, South East Asia and the Middle East, where they have no rights, let alone equal rights. Maybe feminists need to change their ideas, and try to help those underprivileged women. Here women can drive at ease, but if we look at a country like Saudi Arabia, completely different story. Yes they are allowed to drive, but are looked down upon and are abused. All these feminists with too much free time on their hands should be focusing and helping out the people who cannot speak up for themselves over there. Not making things up like 'the reason women don't play sports or have STEM careers is because men oppress them'
Reply 2
Original post by Mr Dee Mented
Finally a women who agrees!
Trust me feminism was definitely made to benefit white women.100%
Even after today where women do have total women's rights they are still banging on about it like its a big deal. Nowadays feminists just complain that other women are lazy and don't try for STEM degrees or try and make it into professional sports.
Selfish- there are women on the other side of the world such as Africa, South East Asia and the Middle East, where they have no rights, let alone equal rights. Maybe feminists need to change their ideas, and try to help those underprivileged women. Here women can drive at ease, but if we look at a country like Saudi Arabia, completely different story. Yes they are allowed to drive, but are looked down upon and are abused. All these feminists with too much free time on their hands should be focusing and helping out the people who cannot speak up for themselves over there. Not making things up like 'the reason women don't play sports or have STEM careers is because men oppress them'

I was a femenist before and then I realised that I was supporting something which was for the benefit of white women only. Regardless of gender if you are good then you can demand to get paid higher.
Men do the most dangerous and dirties types of jobs. I don't see them complaining or. demanding like 99% of feminists.
(edited 7 years ago)
I'd rather my child had cancer than modern day feminism
Original post by Jee1

12046459_f520.jpg
I don't think it was intended just for western women, but they have been the main group of women who have seen a change in their lives and the way women are treated.
So you're telling me that a social movement that was created during the Imperialist Victorian era in a predominantly white country in order to benefit the people of that country isn't concerned with people in other countries despite being uhh... still predominantly white? Shocking.

I'm being facetious, of course. Think before you type eh? Historical context is rather important.

Nonetheless, no-one can really deny that there is a huge disparity between what is being done to benefit the women of the First World countries and what is being done to benefit those of Third World countries. It's all very well to suggest that "charity begins at home", which is fair enough because you'd assume that the effect would ripple outwards, but in this modern day and age there's no real reason for there to be such a disparity what with the technology we've got for raising awareness, especially seeing as it doesn't really fall in line with the egalitarian concept that the movement was based on.

It's one thing to bring up the wage gap and whathaveyou, but more often than not, ethnic minorities are still earning less than their white counterparts (on average, and I realise that that's a *****y statistic to reference because, as rebuttals have often stated, you can't compare apples to oranges [for example, comparing the salary of a cashier to the salary of a CEO and saying "ehrmehrgehrd uneekwaliteeeee"]) yet that seems to be addressed far less when talking about the wage-gap (and before anyone jumps down my throat for mentioning it; no, the wage-gap is not a myth... it's a misrepresentation of statistics combined with a lack of common sense).

As I said to someone a while back (and this was a while back, so it's probably not as relevant now), if I had a penny for every time someone mentioned Page 3, and a pound for every time someone mentioned the abhorrent way women are treated in the Middle East, I'd get far richer off of the former than I would the latter.

So there is some credence to your argument. However, to insinuate that feminism has failed as a result of this is (that point isn't being solely attributed to you, merely referencing that I've seen it spread about fairly consistently), to quote a fat cartoon man, childish and pedantic. It'd be far more beneficial to society, and humanity as a whole, to shine the light on the women (and men. Because feminism is, at its' theoretical core, about reducing the inequality between the sexes regardless of which sex you are. But obviously that part hasn't translated very well across t'Internet) who are suffering due to a lack of feminism in a bid to try and create some kind of awareness for the need for social change instead of shining it at those who you perceive to be failing.
I'm not sure about that but I think the concept of marriage was created for the benefit of the woman. If you look at it from a purely evolutionary point of view, what does the man have to gain from the marriage? He can happily go about his business with other women, transferring his genes. The woman gains through financial stability and a place for her to live, feel safe and raise kids. I know I will get feminists chastising me for making this post but I think they should agree with me, being the free independent women that they are, and say that the institution of marriage is not as necessary like I say. I am not sure people will see it this way although I don't mean to offend anyone In anyway, it's just a curious observation is all.
There is a key phrase missing from the OP

White mans burden (or in this case,womens)

You really should explain why you believe feminists in Gloucester are somehow responsible for women in the Gambia.
Original post by Nirvana1989-1994
Aww, you're a girl.

Your opinions must be more plausible then. :h:

There's no need to be condescending. OP never said she was more plausible because she was a woman.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by joe cooley
There is a key phrase missing from the OP

White mans burden (or in this case,womens)

You really should explain why you believe feminists in Gloucester are somehow responsible for women in the Gambia.

Feminism is supposed to be equal rights for all women. It shouldnt be the case that feminism only protects women in the west because that means that some women are more important than others. Which goes against what they're fighting for.

Either way it is a movement full of contradictions.
Original post by knightchildish
There's no need to be condescending. OP never said she was more plausible because she was a woman.

She was clearly insinuating that, or she wouldn't have put that.
She was clearly insinuating that, or she wouldn't have put that.

It can also mean that she's not another misogynistic man hating on feminism.

You're really not rebutting any of her points but instead resort to cheap condescension, which ironically also makes her point more plausible.
It can also mean that she's not another misogynistic man hating on feminism.

You're really not rebutting any of her points but instead resort to cheap condescension, which ironically also makes her point more plausible.

Because I can only take so much stupidity.

Too many of the same on here.

Plus, I'm not white.
(edited 7 years ago)
Because I can only take so much stupidity.

Too many of the same on here.

Well it can't be stupidity since you're not rebutting her points and resorting to cheap condescension and presumptions to try and undermine her :rolleyes:
No not Feminism, I think the fourth reach is more suitable. And instead of feminists, feminazis. Did you hear about the uproar after the X-Men ads showed J Law getting strangled (obviously when she was in character) and people were outraged that a woman(blue alien looking thing but oh well) was getting strangled, but don't argue when a man is getting strangled. They are so obsessed with this whole idea of the wage gap, that they follow it blindly, and so do the media. It's called the earnings gap, and is solely based on what fields each gender goes into. For example, more men go into Maths than women, but more women decide to waste their time on Gender Studies. Nobody is stopping you, if women were getting paid less, then we'd just be hiring women! This new wave of feminism is a cancer on the word feminism, and I'm sure the Suffragettes are turning in their graves. The only reason it exists right now in such a form, is because they are too lazy to get fit and accept they are just attention seekers, but instead blame society for making them feel bad about their weight, which is UNHEALTHY AND WILL CAUSE THEM SERIOUS PROBLEMS.
Original post by LisaNikita
This site is so sexist. Why is everything blue green and orange?

because purple, blue and red aren't allowed.
Well it can't be stupidity since you're not rebutting her points and resorting to cheap condescension and presumptions to try and undermine her :rolleyes:

Why would I waste my time when I've already argued on other threads about this?

Plus, as I already said, I'm not white. :h:
Why would I waste my time when I've already argued on other threads about this?

Plus, as I already said, I'm not white. :h:

Other internet arguments are irrelevant though.

Why would you mention that you're not white, do you think that makes your condescension more plausible :rolleyes:
Other internet arguments are irrelevant though.

Why would you mention that you're not white, do you think that makes your condescension more plausible :rolleyes:

Not really. But you really don't what I'm getting at though, do you?
You have more interest in arguing.

That was her point, wasn't it though. She basically said that white women endorse feminism for them, and you said her point was validated because of what I said. :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending