The Student Room Group

Donald Trump becomes president today

Scroll to see replies

did anyone else read this on the 'today on tsr' thing and think smash mouth??
I very rarely comment/care much about politics, but his inauguration speech (which I did not see but read a transcript of) was something else. He certainly is one of a kind. I always find economics much more interesting than politics (although they are intertwined), and it will be quite interesting to see what happens from this point economically...
Original post by anarchism101
Unlikely as they're only 12% of the population.

But California would have a plurality of the vote (so we can say they did/would choose the President), right? :tongue:
Original post by Palmyra
But California would have a plurality of the vote (so we can say they did/would choose the President), right? :tongue:

Well, if every state voted 100% for a different candidate each, then yes, I suppose so, but that seems a bit fantastical.

But you could say the same about any plurality demographic.
Well, if every state voted 100% for a different candidate each, then yes, I suppose so, but that seems a bit fantastical.

But you could say the same about any plurality demographic.

That post wasn't serious, I agreed with your pretty simple rebuttal of the popular Trump-line on the electoral college (and why it's needed re: California).
Original post by Palmyra
That post wasn't serious, I agreed with your pretty simple rebuttal of the popular Trump-line on the electoral college (and why it's needed re: California).

I thought so, just thought I'd reply just in case. :wink:
once told me :wink:
His inauguration speech was fully hypocritical. Honestly, he says ridiculous statements such as 'transferring power to the people' and gets thunderous applaud. It's stupid considering the people have always had the power to transfer governments.
He then says stuff about the 'people losing' as a result of the establishment. In reality though, the people have lost as a result to greedy billionaires apart of the establishment abusing their power (ie him).

Ask any Trump supporter as to how Donald Trump is going to bring factories back and the majority will say cut taxes. Seriously though, the ease of doing business is far more than this. Businesses will go to places where it is cheaper to outsource, these places predominately being areas with LOW LABOUR COSTS. It's sad that the US has to import steel from China, but unfortunately cutting taxes isn't going to bring steel companies back when the commodities and the workforce are both cheaper in other countries. Furthermore, his desire to increase trade between nations does come back with some drawbacks (lower tarrifs perhaps increase quotas, making it harder for 'US companies' to perhaps start up against global cheap foreign imports'.

Good luck to the man though. He was voted in through the system fairly. I do not support those who say the voting system is ****ed because no reference had been made against it at all until he was elected in.

That's my blab over and done with.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by AperfectBalance
No matter what you think of trump lets all wish america a happy 4-8 years and hope everything will go well.

I for one hope for a stronger relationship between Britain and America certainly something better than what obama did.

Congratulations on the victory Trump. Godspeed

Thank **** I don't live in the USA.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 169
I bet he will get voted in a second term, and people who hate him will cry foul play claiming that the votes were rigged! :rolleyes: :lol:
Reply 170
Original post by retro_turtles
did anyone else read this on the 'today on tsr' thing and think smash mouth??

well,

the tweets start comin' and they don't comin'
Original post by ManiaMuse
Trump is hopefully a good thing for Brexit. Obama's 'back of the queue' comments and fact that his last formal conversation with a world leader as president was with Angela Merkel makes one think that Hillary's Brexit rhetoric would have been quite different to what Trump is currently saying.

The back of the queue thing was idiotic and not very helpful to say the least.

That said, Trump is not offering the moon and it's important to understand the realities. Trade with the US can in no way replace the massive trade the UK does with the EU. If the latter sharply declines due to leaving the single market and imposing tariffs on all sides, we will not make it up with the US, no matter how favourable the terms.

It is also pretty unlikely that the terms would be very favourable. In past trade talks with the US, they have always taken an extremely hard ball attitude and there have been numerous unfair terms imposed on us by the US in a bullying style. The US has always been happy to immediately boycott British made goods if they are doing unusually well in their markets - the classic examples are Scottish premium products like whisky.

Trump is being protectionist, so it's highly likely, despite the nice cosy photos with Farage, that he will be protectionist towards the UK as well as towards other nations.

The most likely outcome of his policies is going to be reduction in global trade and a fall in living standards across the planet.
Yes, and if that happened in the UK it would be just as inaccurate to describe the PM as "chosen by the people". But that doesn't happen as much anyway in the UK because people know that in parliamentary systems governments can chop and change.

Fine then; the people of the US Senate chose Trump and the Senate was chosen by the people per US state/congressional district who had chosen to vote. However, the people voted in a system, that they knew was not based on popular vote, and the voting system chose Trump.
As long as America keeps making movies and good TV series, I couldn't give a rat's ass. Let their kids grow up obese and their guns kill each other, who gives a ****.

The only thing that really is worrying is climate and the environment, but let's hope other countries step up in regards to that.
Lol at people hoping at better relations with someone who has "America first" as his main statement. You think you will get a better deal with Trump than now? A better deal for you means a worse deal for America and that doesn't sit with "America first".

Trump is a nationalist through and through and apparently that is in vogue again. Ironically in the two (western) countries fighting it last time.
The coverage of the inauguration by the mainstream British media has been laughable.

You can practically hear the weeping of the reporters as they voice over Obama's helicopter ride from power. Scant analysis of just how mediocre a President he was, nor how his failures led to Trump's ascent to power in the first place.

There isn't any objective description of the phenomenon that Trump harnassed and rode. Instead we get sneering vox pops edited to promote the biased agenda. They might as well be called the "basket of deploarables" as far as the (self appointed) high and mighty BBC and ITV are concerned. RT or Al Jazeera would be proud.

We are constantly told how the crowd is sparce (although a million turned up), the hotel rooms empty (hardly likely) and it wasn't a wonderful thing like the Obama inauguration. Small crowds of violent anarchists are constantly shown, to give the appearance of a country at violent war with itself, on the brink of revolution.

It is transparent propaganda. Viewers and readers see through such lies, bias and spin. That is why they voted for Brexit. Will do for Le Pen, and in the US (where the media is exactly the same) just did for Trump, of course
Original post by astutehirstute
The coverage of the inauguration by the mainstream British media has been laughable.

You can practically hear the weeping of the reporters as they voice over Obama's helicopter ride from power. Scant analysis of just how mediocre a President he was, nor how his failures led to Trump's ascent to power in the first place.

There isn't any objective description of the phenomenon that Trump harnassed and rode. Instead we get sneering vox pops edited to promote the biased agenda. They might as well be called the "basket of deploarables" as far as the (self appointed) high and mighty BBC and ITV are concerned. RT or Al Jazeera would be proud.

We are constantly told how the crowd is sparce (although a million turned up), the hotel rooms empty (hardly likely) and it wasn't a wonderful thing like the Obama inauguration. Small crowds of violent anarchists are constantly shown, to give the appearance of a country at violent war with itself, on the brink of revolution.

It is transparent propaganda. Viewers and readers see through such lies, bias and spin. That is why they voted for Brexit. Will do for Le Pen, and in the US (where the media is exactly the same) just did for Trump, of course

Someone's been taking too much Fox.
Trump, the president of the united states. For the next four years at least.

Have no expectations. But the one that he is not so stupid to make a fatal stumble in foreign policy.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Someone's been taking too much Fox.

No, too much BBC. :frown:

I don't watch much Fox although I do find the anchor babes hot. In a bottle blonde, breast enhanced, perfect teeth, American Homecoming Queen kind of way.

But at least Fox don't have the BBC obsession that every news anchor has to be a gay, disabled, Muslim. :rolleyes:
Original post by astutehirstute

There isn't any objective description of the phenomenon that Trump harnassed and rode.

What, in your mind, would such an objective description consist of?

This isn't a rhetorical question, I genuinely want to hear it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending