The Student Room Group

Old accident- insurance werent involved- do i inform insurer?

Back in March 2012 (nearly 5 years ago now) i had a minor accident where i rolled into the car in front at some traffic lights. It was minor, he only had a couple of scratches on his car.
With it being minor, we sorted it without involving the insurance (i paid him for the repairs- he signed a bit of paper to day id paid him) and that was that. The bloke i rolled into had informed his own insurance that he had had a minor accident, just out of courtesy, and just in case he did end up having to do it through the insurance for whatever reason (i didn't pay up for repairs or whatever). But after we had sorted it outside of the insurance that was the end of it.
I never bothered telling my insurance since, because although you are meant to tell them if you have had any claims etc in the last 5 years, the insurance weren't involved at all, where were no claims or anything. There were never any issues. So I never thought no more of it.
But it came to light again today when my dad came to insure his classic car today with a new insurer, and while on the phone, he gave them all his details etc, including mentioning my mums non fault accident (she is a named driver on his policy). The insurer must have found out from somewhere, because he asked my dad about an accident on whatever date in march 2012. My dad denied this accident, as the accident was nothing to do with him or my mum, and the insurer (after asking whether it was anyone else in our house involved) accepted that my dad had no knowledge of this accident and it was nothing to do with him.
Now my insurance is due in march (just before the 5 year anniversary of this accident)- should i let my future insurers know about this accident or not? There were no claims, no insurance involvement etc. What do i do? There's never been any issues before.
Reply 1
It wholly depends on the wording of the question. Some insurers will ask to disclose any accidents irrespective of whether a policy was claimed on, and some will only ask for any claims.

I know it's crap, but failing to disclose is a big no no, and to save you a lot of problems in the future, it might be a good idea to disclose it if the question states so.
Don't tell them. They will only load your premium.... and hold it against you for the next few years as well.

I remember having a similar incident a few years back. Sorted it out with cash so it didn't go through the insurance. It's OK to do this but make sure you get a written receipt for the cash saying it's in full settlement for accident on XXX date involving XXX vehicles.
You do this in case the cheeky sod goes to the insurance behind your back and tries to get paid at both ends.

Why on earth did the guy tell his insurance if you sorted it with him? He had no need to do that at all... not even for "courtesy". What a load of rubbish.
Reply 3
Original post by Darwinion
Why on earth did the guy tell his insurance if you sorted it with him? He had no need to do that at all... not even for "courtesy". What a load of rubbish.

If they requested to know, it would be fraud not to disclose it. It's not worth getting blacklisted for fraud -.-
Don't tell them. They will only load your premium.... and hold it against you for the next few years as well.

I remember having a similar incident a few years back. Sorted it out with cash so it didn't go through the insurance. It's OK to do this but make sure you get a written receipt for the cash saying it's in full settlement for accident on XXX date involving XXX vehicles.
You do this in case the cheeky sod goes to the insurance behind your back and tries to get paid at both ends.

He informed them just after it had happened at the scene, just for future reference. It was then agreed between us that we would sort it outside the insurance, so obviously he didn't go through and claim or anything.
Reply 5
Original post by Emma:-)
He informed them just after it had happened at the scene, just for future reference. It was then agreed between us that we would sort it outside the insurance, so obviously he didn't go through and claim or anything.

It's worth noting any reported incidents will show on the MID regardless of whether a claim was made, and an insurer can sometimes ask you about these incidents if you don't disclose them upfront, which we found out when my mum joined my policy last March:

The insurer simply asked whether anyone listed on the policy had been in an incident in a certain month on a certain year (cannae remember the month now). Unfortunately, if you pretend to not know of it when asked, that's grounds for cancellation, or a voided policy come claim time.

Check all the documents carefully for what they specifically ask for; some ask for all incidents irrespective of claims.

Because the terms and conditions of his policy most likely oblige him to. Collisions (whether or not you claim) are notifiable to the insurer. This will likely mean an increase in your premium however, this is because someone who has an accident who doesn't go on to make a claim, is more likely to go on in future and have an accident that does involve a claim and incurring payout to the insurer.

Wonderful advice. Will the OP be therefore coming to you in the event of a payout for the third party claim after his policy is voided for non-disclosure?
Well the OP can follow all your advice then and tell them. Then drop her dad in it for non disclosure when he insured his classic car. Or she could tell her dad and get him to disclose as well. All a mess and it would be so much easier to just keep schtum, would it not?
(edited 7 years ago)
Well the OP can follow all your advice then and tell them. Then drop her dad in it for non disclosure when he insured his classic car. Or she could tell her dad and get him to disclose as well. All a mess and it would be so much easier to just keep schtum, would it not?

What has this accident got to do with my dad?
It was me who had this accident. It would have been my insurance policy that he would have claimed on if we hadnt have done it outside of the insurance. The accident was nothing to do with my dad or mum, or any of their insurance policies. The bloke from the insurance company said our address had come up for that accident, thats why he asked if it was anything to do with my dad (which it wasnt).

They say to declare accidents for 5 years. My new insurance will start 4/5 days before the 5 year anniversary, thats why i asked if it was worth telling them.
Reply 10
What has this accident got to do with my dad?
It was me who had this accident. It would have been my insurance policy that he would have claimed on if we hadnt have done it outside of the insurance. The accident was nothing to do with my dad or mum, or any of their insurance policies. The bloke from the insurance company said our address had come up for that accident, thats why he asked if it was anything to do with my dad (which it wasnt).

They say to declare accidents for 5 years. My new insurance will start 4/5 days before the 5 year anniversary, thats why i asked if it was worth telling them.

What is has to do with your dad is if he was the policyholder or otherwise listed on the policy that had the accident. OR if you are a named driver on the classic car policy. That establishes you and he are connected and it's material to his new policy.

Follow @IWMTom's advice. And yes most policies have a five year cut off anyway.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
What is has to do with your dad is if he was the policyholder or otherwise listed on the policy that had the accident. OR if you are a named driver on the classic car policy. That establishes you and he are connected and it's material to his new policy.

Follow @IWMTom's advise. And yes most policies have a five year cut off anyway.

I am nothing to do with his classic insurance policy (not even a named driver or anything) and it was (and still is) my policy that was in place when i had this accident.

I know most policies have the 5 year cut off, thats why i was asking, with my next insurance being due 4/5 days before the 5 year cut off point, is it worth telling them? I dont know if accidents more than 5 years ago come up on their system or not.
Reply 12
I am nothing to do with his classic insurance policy (not even a named driver or anything) and it was (and still is) my policy that was in place when i had this accident.

I know most policies have the 5 year cut off, thats why i was asking, with my next insurance being due 4/5 days before the 5 year cut off point, is it worth telling them? I dont know if accidents more than 5 years ago come up on their system or not.

Was/is he a named driver on your policy?

And yes, if they are asking the question then you do have to tell them.
Right... I understand now. I thought you were on one of your dads policies when you had the minor incident.

In that case you can tell your insurance about your incident, but they will probably load your premium for this year. Any excuse to get more money out of you. (And they might wonder why you never mentioned it in the last 4 years). You'll only know how much they load it by telling them, and then it's too late.

Next year you don't have a duty to declare it because of the 5 year cut off (if they declare it as 5 years).

Can you go a week without use of the car? Personally I'd wait a week before renewing it. But you'd need a garage (or at least a driveway) to keep the car safely and (legally) off the road and of course you MUST NOT DRIVE in that period. Then you need not mention it because you are outside the 5 year period when the new insurance starts and your conscience is clear. If they question the small gap say you're off on holiday... why waste cover? New insurance must start after THAT date though. If they simply roll on from last policy then you'd need to tell them.
Reply 14
Right... I understand now. I thought you were on one of your dads policies when you had the minor incident.

In that case you can tell your insurance about your incident, but they will probably load your premium for this year. Any excuse to get more money out of you. (And they might wonder why you never mentioned it in the last 4 years). You'll only know how much they load it by telling them, and then it's too late.

Next year you don't have a duty to declare it because of the 5 year cut off (if they declare it as 5 years).

Can you go a week without use of the car? Personally I'd wait a week before renewing it. But you'd need a garage (or at least a driveway) to keep the car safely and (legally) off the road and of course you MUST NOT DRIVE in that period. Then you need not mention it because you are outside the 5 year period when the new insurance starts and your conscience is clear. If they question the small gap say you're off on holiday... why waste cover? New insurance must start after THAT date though. If they simply roll on from last policy then you'd need to tell them.

Agreed :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
One last thing to think about... if you do tell them they are bound to wonder why you never mentioned it in the last 4 years. They would have hiked your insurance in that time. In other words... the way they look at it is they have lost out and you have gained in that time.

I'm a cynical old ba5tard I know. Sorry.

Quick Reply

Latest