The Student Room Group

How much revision / work do you do per night?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KB_97
Imagine doing 10 hours after school!! Oh my god. I wouldn't be alive if I did that. I didn't get into medicine last year so I'm trying again this year. Currently have a mpharm offer from kcl but waiting on responses post interview for medicine. Fingers crossed I'll get in this time:smile:

Hopefully, you do, i`m also in the nerve wracking process of applying to medicine and waiting after interviews. where did you apply?
I do on average around 2h15 minutes every day (excluding EPQ, prep, homework, recap and free periods, which by my guess probably amounts to 19h45 minutes a week). It used to be around 5-6h but that was inefficient.
Reply 42
Original post by soccermom39
I do on average around 2h15 minutes every day (excluding EPQ, prep, homework, recap and free periods, which by my guess probably amounts to 19h45 minutes a week). It used to be around 5-6h but that was inefficient.

2 hrs sounds ideal. 5 hrs and up and you start melting into a zombie.
About 2-3 after school

3-4 on sat and sun
Reply 44
Original post by glad-he-ate-her
Hopefully, you do, i`m also in the nerve wracking process of applying to medicine and waiting after interviews. where did you apply?

Birmingham, Exeter, cardiff and Leicester. What about you?
About 4hours a day.

Unless I really like the topic in which case I can do like 10hours in a day. But this is uni level where the scope for what you can research and arguments and **** you can read to bolster your arguments is just endless.
Reply 46
Practically none

Posted from TSR Mobile
How do you guys revise?Like whats your method and stuff?!
Reply 48
way too little :s-smilie: i spend all my frees in the library at school but i have the worst discipline when it comes to revising at home
Original post by KB_97
I got A*A*A in chem, maths answers bio respectively. Initially, yes I did count school time but i didn't count it as 6 hours. I counted it as about 3 hours of genuine studying. But we finished the course and had more free periods at school and then eventually went on study leave so yeh towards the end I was doing about 10 hours a day at home.

I did push myself too hard though. I'm not saying you have to do the same as me to get the grades you want. Many revise much less and get the same or better grades. But I felt like I wanted to know everything like the back of my hand specially after my as exams didn't go like I wanted them to.

Although I won't reccomend doing 10hrs a day (even though it worked for me), I do reccomend two things, specially for the science subjects:
1) know the spec really really well
2) do all of the exam papers for your subject from your exam board. And spend a decent amount of time thoroughly marking it as if it's not your own work. Be harsh in marking and learn from mistakes. You begin to see recurring patterns in the answers they're looking for. It makes the exam so much easier no matter what question they throw at you.

Well done your grades are incredible...you're my rolemodel!! I'm gap year resitting to meet my offer conditions for a vet degree so I need all As (got Bs) in Chem, bio and maths. I've been really stressing about how much work to do and I did a little bit in each before christmas except in maths, I'm scared I might have left it too late to do maths as I'm resitting all 3 maths modules from A2??

How much would you recommend if 10 hours is too much?? I work 4 days a week for 10 hours each day so would you say doing 2-3 on those days and then lots more on my days off is more sensible? I've almost finished bio/chem revision so then I'll get onto the past papers ASAP as I love doing them!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by KB_97
Birmingham, Exeter, cardiff and Leicester. What about you?

cambridge, UCL, imperial, st georges
had 3 intervieiws, 2 rejections from cambridge and st georges
holding out for imperial
Varies up to 3 hours a night, and then one day a week I do nothing. I have on average 2 study periods each day so I also use these for working :smile: I'm doing biology, chemistry and maths (AS)
Reply 52
I find it fascinating how people are more honest about how much revision they do online -

Ask this question to someone's face and they will lie.

But why?

Competition and embarrassment are the 2 main factors in my opinion - People feel like nerds if they tell the truth, and also people want to be the best, right? So they trick/deceive their classmates into thinking they do not do that much revision but get good grades.

I'm not sure what this phenomenon is called, does anyone know? If not, I need to give it a name.

Don't believe a word your peers tell you - they are playing a game with you. Especially at university, that's even worse than school.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 53
Original post by Danielleegolds
Well done your grades are incredible...you're my rolemodel!! I'm gap year resitting to meet my offer conditions for a vet degree so I need all As (got Bs) in Chem, bio and maths. I've been really stressing about how much work to do and I did a little bit in each before christmas except in maths, I'm scared I might have left it too late to do maths as I'm resitting all 3 maths modules from A2??

How much would you recommend if 10 hours is too much?? I work 4 days a week for 10 hours each day so would you say doing 2-3 on those days and then lots more on my days off is more sensible? I've almost finished bio/chem revision so then I'll get onto the past papers ASAP as I love doing them!

I'll private message you so our convo doesn't block up the rest of the thread. :smile:
Reply 54
cambridge, UCL, imperial, st georges
had 3 intervieiws, 2 rejections from cambridge and st georges
holding out for imperial

Ooh you picked really good unis. I felt they were too risky for me and I stayed away from bmat this year. Haha. What's your fifth/backup choice?
Original post by KB_97
Ooh you picked really good unis. I felt they were too risky for me and I stayed away from bmat this year. Haha. What's your fifth/backup choice?

Yes, Bmat is quite unpredictable but i did fairly well ( 5.6,5.3,3b) and no backup choice, either medicine or gap year (dont want to waste time at uni doing a course i dont want to do). Had interviews at cambridge and st georges but cambridge was insanely academic and i was Very ill on my SGUL day.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 56
Yes, Bmat is quite unpredictable but i did fairly well ( 5.6,5.3,3b) and no backup choice, either medicine or gap year (dont want to waste time at uni doing a course i dont want to do). Had interviews at cambridge and st georges but cambridge was insanely academic and i was Very ill on my SGUL day.

Well done! Ur ukcat scores are very good. I had the same mentality as you last year. I applied for a back up and got an offer but I didn't accept and took a gap year instead. But this year I put pharmacy as my back up (risky) but I got an unconditional so if medicine doesn't work out again this year I'll give up:/. I want to go to uniiiii urgh

Good luck to you anyway. Hope you get in so you don't have to bother with a gap year:smile:
Original post by KB_97
Well done! Ur ukcat scores are very good. I had the same mentality as you last year. I applied for a back up and got an offer but I didn't accept and took a gap year instead. But this year I put pharmacy as my back up (risky) but I got an unconditional so if medicine doesn't work out again this year I'll give up:/. I want to go to uniiiii urgh

Good luck to you anyway. Hope you get in so you don't have to bother with a gap year:smile:

Thank you very much, good luck to you too and hope we both get in!
I work during the day which is between 4hrs, get home and probably do another 5-6 hours. I don't normally work at the weekend because it's early in the year and i don't want to burn out.
Lol, 1h a day probably, and about 3 hours a day on weekends.
How do people keep up with these crazy schedules? It doesn't seem productive, at all.

Quick Reply

Latest