The Student Room Group

Was feminism made for the benefit of white women

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mr Dee Mented
Finally a women who agrees!
Trust me feminism was definitely made to benefit white women.100%
Even after today where women do have total women's rights they are still banging on about it like its a big deal. Nowadays feminists just complain that other women are lazy and don't try for STEM degrees or try and make it into professional sports.
Selfish- there are women on the other side of the world such as Africa, South East Asia and the Middle East, where they have no rights, let alone equal rights. Maybe feminists need to change their ideas, and try to help those underprivileged women. Here women can drive at ease, but if we look at a country like Saudi Arabia, completely different story. Yes they are allowed to drive, but are looked down upon and are abused. All these feminists with too much free time on their hands should be focusing and helping out the people who cannot speak up for themselves over there. Not making things up like 'the reason women don't play sports or have STEM careers is because men oppress them'

Why do people always refer to Africa as one place? You wouldn't say Europe, you would say England or France, so why is Africa constantly seen as one big, poverty ridden country where people have no rights? It's a big continent with over 50 countries!
Original post by Nirvana1989-1994
Not really. But you really don't what I'm getting at though, do you?
You have more interest in arguing.

That was her point, wasn't it though. She basically said that white women endorse feminism for them, and you said her point was validated because of what I said. :rolleyes:

I'm not interested in arguing. I am actually on your side somewhat. It's silly that she thinks feminists should somehow encourage women to be bin cleaners and I think shouty "anti-feminists" are worse. But surely even you would agree that feminism should focus a lot more on helping women who genuinely don't have any rights in some parts of this world.

No, I said her point was validated because you couldn't provide rebuttal to any of her points and resorted to condescension.
Original post by knightchildish
Feminism is supposed to be equal rights for all women. It shouldnt be the case that feminism only protects women in the west because that means that some women are more important than others. Which goes against what they're fighting for.

Either way it is a movement full of contradictions.

You believe Western feminists are racists then?

Lets pretend feminists in the West did care about the plight of women in non-Western countries, what could they do to help them?

Apart from dye their hair blue,obviously.
No it covers for example issues of female genital mutilation practiced in developing countries.
I'm not interested in arguing. I am actually on your side somewhat. It's silly that she thinks feminists should somehow encourage women to be bin cleaners and I think shouty "anti-feminists" are worse. But surely even you would agree that feminism should focus a lot more on helping women who genuinely don't have any rights in some parts of this world.

No, I said her point was validated because you couldn't provide rebuttal to any of her points and resorted to condescension.

Of course you're not. :rolleyes:

Obviously, but moaning about 'white women' who aren't the only people that identify as feminists btw, is a bit silly.

Nah, it's because you thought I was white because of the avatar, but if you say so.
Original post by joe cooley
You believe Western feminists are racists then?

Lets pretend feminists in the West did care about the plight of women in non-Western countries, what could they do to help them?

Apart from dye their hair blue,obviously.

They may be racist. But it is mostly them being self interested.

A lot can be done. They can boycott companies, lobby governments, organise protests etc etc. They're not powerless.
Of course you're not. :rolleyes:

Obviously, but moaning about 'white women' who aren't the only people that identify as feminists btw, is a bit silly.

Nah, it's because you thought I was white because of the avatar, but if you say so.

Yeah, I get the whole intersectional feminism thing. It's just there's this idea that some modern feminist movements are driven by a sense of white supremacy and self interest. Plus most western feminists are white.

Lol I recognise her, she's that girl from we're the millers isnt she haha
Original post by neal95
I'm not sure about that but I think the concept of marriage was created for the benefit of the woman. If you look at it from a purely evolutionary point of view, what does the man have to gain from the marriage? He can happily go about his business with other women, transferring his genes. The woman gains through financial stability and a place for her to live, feel safe and raise kids. I know I will get feminists chastising me for making this post but I think they should agree with me, being the free independent women that they are, and say that the institution of marriage is not as necessary like I say. I am not sure people will see it this way although I don't mean to offend anyone In anyway, it's just a curious observation is all.

Last I heard, the concept was created by some French guy who wanted to make sure that women remained monogamous whilst in the relationship. Worked at the time, no doubt due to the influence of the church, but these days Christianity isn't as relevant.

Whether that's actually true or not, I don't know, but before judging the coin based on one side of it it's worth remembering that it actually has two sides.

Edit: and in this case, to say that it was "created for the benefit of women" could easily be construed as sexist if the justification for it is (if indeed it was created with the intention of making sure women remained loyal) "women get safety whilst the man can go off cheating on her". Very much a "one rule for us, another for them" type of scenario, no?
(edited 7 years ago)
Yeah, I get the whole intersectional feminism thing. It's just there's this idea that some modern feminist movements are driven by a sense of white supremacy and self interest. Plus most western feminists are white.

Lol I recognise her, she's that girl from we're the millers isnt she haha

Yeah, I agree. Some are.

Yeah, but the photo's from Scream Queens. :smile:
It's the burden of being a double minority, sometimes the movement as a whole does not represent all of your interests. However, it does not make the movement completely obsolete as a whole. Feminism is the advocacy of equal rights between woman and men. Whether this idea is implemented in practice is a problem with the movement, however, you shouldn't pull your support from the movement just because there are biases towards double minorities. People should be trying to reform the movement.
Aww, you're a girl.

Your opinions must be more plausible then. :h:

dear god.
Original post by trustmeimlying1
dear god.

:rofl: :rofl:
Original post by Jee1
I don't see feminist caring about the wellbeing of women and girls in third world countries where they live in danger and poverty on a daily basis. Instead, we see white women the most prevlidged group of people in the west looking out for their own self interest I.e constantly demanding pay increases when actually if they were really good at what they do then no one will say no to a pay increase.

Then they moan about not being represented in lucrative STEM fields when no one is stopping girls from pursuing STEM subjects like Electrical engineering and chemical engineering. There are not that many girls working as bin women, miners, sewage worker why can't feminists demand that there are equal reprentation on those fields??? PS I'm a girl BTW!

never heard of intersectional feminism?
I just find it funny how a lot of white feminists act like it's them plus all the other minorities vs white men. As if white women themselves don't have their own privileges above the other minorities 🙄
Original post by Jee1
I don't see feminist caring about the wellbeing of women and girls in third world countries where they live in danger and poverty on a daily basis.

No-one ever makes this complaint about other campaign groups. No-one thinks it hypocritical that UK-based anti-homlessness groups focus most of their attention on homelessness in the UK rather than homelessness in say, Bangladesh, despite the fact that it's a more severe problem in Bangladesh. No-one asks why the NSPCC aren't putting their resources into protecting children in Iran. It's only feminist activists that are constantly criticised for placing a greater focus on their own country's domestic issues as if that's somehow an odd thing for activists to do.
Original post by neal95
I'm not sure about that but I think the concept of marriage was created for the benefit of the woman. If you look at it from a purely evolutionary point of view, what does the man have to gain from the marriage? He can happily go about his business with other women, transferring his genes.

i) So he's sleeping around with several women. Presumably those women are also sleeping with other men. So when they get pregnant, how will he know which ones are his kids? How will he know which ones to put effort into ensuring they survive (I'm sure you can work out why it's in a man's evolutionary interest to ensure his kids survive)?

ii) But that's a fairly neutral purpose of pairing, rather than marriage as a historical legal institution, in which the advantages of men are far more obvious, namely complete control and power over your wife - husbands historically held jure uxoris ownership rights over what would otherwise their wife's property, were not required to get consent for sex, etc. In some societies a husband was legally entitled to even kill his wife or sell her into slavery.
Original post by LisaNikita
I'd rather my child had cancer than modern day feminism

wow calm down
Original post by Jee1
I don't see feminist caring about the wellbeing of women and girls in third world countries where they live in danger and poverty on a daily basis. Instead, we see white women the most prevlidged group of people in the west looking out for their own self interest I.e constantly demanding pay increases when actually if they were really good at what they do then no one will say no to a pay increase.

Then they moan about not being represented in lucrative STEM fields when no one is stopping girls from pursuing STEM subjects like Electrical engineering and chemical engineering. There are not that many girls working as bin women, miners, sewage worker why can't feminists demand that there are equal reprentation on those fields??? PS I'm a girl BTW!

More recently, feminism has been linked to negative societal feelings but it really is just about equal rights. There are extreme feminists that take it too far just like there are extreme XXXXX in any group of people. There are obviously many big issues with women's rights in developing countries that are much more 'serious' than the issues that we face in the UK. However this doesnt mean we should stop trying to tackle issues such as equal pay and stop discrimination.

The isssue with women in STEM is that society does not engage women into STEM subjects enough resulting in many thinking they could never do that, its too manly, its too diffficult. The balance between male and female workforce in physical jobs is a totally different argument because a lot of the times those require actual physical strength which may come more naturally to men/with less training. Where as the jobs in STEM are being argued for as they require mental efforts which both men and women equally have.

If you're a girl then really you should want feminism at least on a basic level. When people start arguing about calling women females or other silly things and calling sexual harassment over saying 'hugh mungus' then it gets ridiculous.
Original post by anarchism101
No-one ever makes this complaint about other campaign groups. No-one thinks it hypocritical that UK-based anti-homlessness groups focus most of their attention on homelessness in the UK rather than homelessness in say, Bangladesh, despite the fact that it's a more severe problem in Bangladesh. No-one asks why the NSPCC aren't putting their resources into protecting children in Iran. It's only feminist activists that are constantly criticised for placing a greater focus on their own country's domestic issues as if that's somehow an odd thing for activists to do.

Its literally such a ridiculous argument that they're saying UK feminists are selfish cause they dont help women in other countries.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending