The Student Room Group

Everything is possible!

Hello,

So, I'm in my last year of IB and I have loads of work. I hope writing in this thread will keep me motivated and more organised.

Subjects I'm taking:
SL: English B, Mathematics, Physics
HL: Slovene A, French B, Psychology

My grades till now (I will be updating them regularly):

Spoiler

I am not sure what would be the most realistic goal I could set myself, so I decided I am not going to be realistic :smile:.
My goal is to get all 45 points on the exams.

We have mock exams in February and I will try to do my best on them.

My biggest problem is motivation and discipline. I tend to be quite a procrastinator, but today I promise myself I will not procrastinate from now on!
If anyone has any tips on how to be more disciplined, I would really like to know.

So, with that being said, I should get to work.

Wish you all the best.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hello everyone!

So this weekend I really have a lot to do.

Here is my TO DO list:

Write a speech for French

Math homework

Read chapters 7 and 8 for Physics

Write a tweet for English

Study for oral commentary for Slovene

Correct the English Written Assignment

Write the French Written Assignment

Make a plan for Physics Internal Assessment

Get an idea for English Interactive Oral

Fill in the table for Slovene homework

Organize my notes and papers

The tasks written in red are the most important ones, which I really need to get done during the weekend. I hope I will be motivated enough to do everything.

I will let you know on my progress :h:
(edited 7 years ago)
#Update
Urnik kolaž.JPG

So today I wasn't very productive. :s-smilie: I haven't started working for school untill after noon and even then I was having troubles concentrating.
I wish I had done more.
In the photo you can see my timetable for today (Saturday). Unfortunately, I only managed to study for Slovene and organise half of my papers (it took me more time than I thought it would).

Tomorrow, I plan to stick to my timetable and I hope I will manage to do everything I have set myself for Sunday.

I got the idea of timetables by @Hannah-Brown on her thread and I am really grateful for that! It actually find the timetable really motivating. But I only found her thread in the late afernoon so I hope I will use it better tomorrow.
I plan to publish my timetable for every week and every weekend.
Creating a timetable has actually helped me to realize that I have more time than I have imagined I do, and I finally see that I am constantly wasting it for stupid reasons. Now that I know this, I will try to use my time more efficiently.

In the photo, there is also a little owl. It is a kitchen clock and I use it when I am studying. I set it usually from 30 to 45 minutes and after it runs out I have a 5-10 minute break. It helps me when I feel really demotivated.

So that's it for today. I hope you had a productive day. :smile:

P.S Totally random - I have just found Adele's song Remedy and I looovee it! :heart:
SUNDAY

Today I only did the French WA and Math homework. French took me like forever but I am satisfied with my final product.

I am kind of disappointed that I haven't sticked to my schedule but I guess I'll get better at this. It just seems to me that I am very slow at everything I do. I don't know why is that. Even if I am very concentrated. It is just so annoying.

But I am positive anyway. I think I just need to get to know how I work so I can then make timetables that I will be able to stick to. I have never observed my work in this way so this should be an interesting discovery. I am actually really thankful that I have found this method with timetables. It is not like I didn't know that timetables exist, it is just that I never thought about creating one for my studying. Maybe I'm wierd, I don't know :tongue:.

Here's what I did this weekend from my TO DO list:

Write a speech for French

Math homework

Read chapters 7 and 8 for Physics

Write a tweet for English

Study for oral commentary for Slovene

Correct the English Written Assignment

Write the French Written Assignment

Make a plan for Physics Internal Assessment

Get an idea for English Interactive Oral

Fill in the table for Slovene homework

Organize my notes and papers (only half of them)

Everything written in green is done. I am actually quite satisfied. I did everything that was urgent plus the Math homework.

Hope you had a nice weekend. :u:
So here's the plan for this week. I hope I will stick to it. I will probably change it during the week as I will get additional work in school.

Urnik teden 1.2.png

Do you guys also use timetables for your studying? Can you stick to them? Is this working for you? Let me know please. I would like to get some advice on how to improve.
Hey, I'm in my second year of IB as well, and trust me so far, it's been hell on earth! What have you finished from your IA's, EE and TOK essay? My IB coordinator keeps telling me that I'm late as hell, and that I need to speed it up with all the IB requirements. I don't know if I'm on the right track with the time and all that. I can't live with IB stress anymore! Officials are in like 3 months and I'm starting to stress out!
Original post by IBstudent21
Hey, I'm in my second year of IB as well, and trust me so far, it's been hell on earth! What have you finished from your IA's, EE and TOK essay? My IB coordinator keeps telling me that I'm late as hell, and that I need to speed it up with all the IB requirements. I don't know if I'm on the right track with the time and all that. I can't live with IB stress anymore! Officials are in like 3 months and I'm starting to stress out!

Hey, I believe it is hard, I am going through hell as well and I completely understand your frustration. Imust say that my school has pretty strict internal deadlines for all the IAs, EE, WAs, TOK...
I have already finished my EE, TOK essay, Math IA and all the Written Assigments.
I still have to do my Psychology and Physics IA.

I think you still have time to finish all of those but I guess you have to be disciplined. Try to do everything as soon as possible. Not because you wouldn't have enough time, but more because it is just an unnecessary burden weighing you down. Believe me when you finish something, it's like heaven on earth :biggrin:.

Always remeber that the teachers are there to help you, so if you are having problems, don't hesitate to ask for advice, because frustrating will just take you more time.

I have realized that I have spent more time worrying and crying hysterically about my EE, than I have spent writing it. Frustrating is just a waste of time and energy. Just say to yourself that you can do it and you will.

And also try to remember that school is not everything. Even if you don't pass the IB in flying colours, there will be so many opportunities in life for you, that your TOK essay mark will never really matter. I keep telling myself this when I am stressed out.:wink:

I wish you good luck
Hello!

The week is finally over!

I haven't really sticked to my timetable. I am still waiting for my brain to realize how timetables are used. :curious:

I have spent most of the week studying for Slovene oral exam. I had it today! I think it went quite well, though I was very nervous and sometimes my sentences were weird. Anyhow, I am satisfied.
I stayed at home for two days before the exam to study. I don't usually do this, but I really think it was necessary. Do you ever stay at home to study? I am not sure if it is the right thing to do... I felt really guilty about it.

I will publish my timetable for this weekend tomorrow. I don't actually have that much to do so I hope, I will get everything done.

We also got the reports for the first semester this week. Some of my reprorts were quite unexpected. Like my Slovene teacher wrote that I should arrange a meeting with her because my grades are not as good as last year. Why hadn't she said anything to me before? And than the teachers are complaining that we don't communicate ha!

I hope your week went well :h:
Original post by HarmonySweet
Hey, I believe it is hard, I am going through hell as well and I completely understand your frustration. Imust say that my school has pretty strict internal deadlines for all the IAs, EE, WAs, TOK...
I have already finished my EE, TOK essay, Math IA and all the Written Assigments.
I still have to do my Psychology and Physics IA.

I think you still have time to finish all of those but I guess you have to be disciplined. Try to do everything as soon as possible. Not because you wouldn't have enough time, but more because it is just an unnecessary burden weighing you down. Believe me when you finish something, it's like heaven on earth :biggrin:.

Always remeber that the teachers are there to help you, so if you are having problems, don't hesitate to ask for advice, because frustrating will just take you more time.

I have realized that I have spent more time worrying and crying hysterically about my EE, than I have spent writing it. Frustrating is just a waste of time and energy. Just say to yourself that you can do it and you will.

And also try to remember that school is not everything. Even if you don't pass the IB in flying colours, there will be so many opportunities in life for you, that your TOK essay mark will never really matter. I keep telling myself this when I am stressed out.:wink:

I wish you good luck

My school does set some pretty serious deadlines too, especially now that it's January, but I keep missing them :redface: I'm not stressing out a lot, just because I'm not the only one lol. I still have Math and Business Management IA to do, but EE and TOK essay are still my first draft. Our IB coordinator is making us finish all the IA's by the end of this month. As if I needed that added to my preexisting stress. Hmm I wonder what'll happen if I miss that deadline as well. :s-smilie:
Ive been thinking about that too, that IB isn't actually everything in life. I think it's just important to me now, because it's the only stressful thing in life right now lmao. How sad is IB life? We're all probably gonna forget about it after 10 years, or even 5 years, from now.
Best of luck to you too!
SATURDAY

I am having problems with uploading the photo of my timetable, so I'll just write it down.

TO DO:

Plan for Psychology IA

Plan for Physics IA

Correct French WA

I really need to get an idea for English Interactive Oral!

Not a lot to do but the tasks are quite time consuming. Especially Physics, where I don't have the slightest idea how I am supposed to the IA.
Oh, well, we'll see. :tongue:
SATURDAY

I am having problems with uploading the photo of my timetable, so I'll just write it down.

TO DO:

Plan for Psychology IA

Plan for Physics IA

Correct French WA

Not a lot to do but the tasks are quite time consuming. Especially Physics, where I don't have the slightest idea how I am supposed to the IA.
Oh, well, we'll see. :tongue:

IOP? :tongue:

I am also a second year IB student.

I have 3 IAs due on Monday... :/ dying rn :tongue:
Original post by wolfmoon88
IOP? :tongue:

I am also a second year IB student.

I have 3 IAs due on Monday... :/ dying rn :tongue:

That's cruel! Good luck! I hope you manage to finish them.
That's cruel! Good luck! I hope you manage to finish them.

Thank you! Good luck to you too! :smile:

Have you finished your Maths IA yet?
Original post by wolfmoon88
Thank you! Good luck to you too! :smile:

Have you finished your Maths IA yet?

Yes, I have. We had to hand it in on January 13th.
Yes, I have. We had to hand it in on January 13th.

Cool :smile: Mine is due on Monday hahaha

Good luck with your quest for a 45!
#Update
Urnik kolaž.JPG

So today I wasn't very productive. :s-smilie: I haven't started working for school untill after noon and even then I was having troubles concentrating.
I wish I had done more.
In the photo you can see my timetable for today (Saturday). Unfortunately, I only managed to study for Slovene and organise half of my papers (it took me more time than I thought it would).

Tomorrow, I plan to stick to my timetable and I hope I will manage to do everything I have set myself for Sunday.

I got the idea of timetables by @Hannah-Brown on her thread and I am really grateful for that! It actually find the timetable really motivating. But I only found her thread in the late afernoon so I hope I will use it better tomorrow.
I plan to publish my timetable for every week and every weekend.
Creating a timetable has actually helped me to realize that I have more time than I have imagined I do, and I finally see that I am constantly wasting it for stupid reasons. Now that I know this, I will try to use my time more efficiently.

In the photo, there is also a little owl. It is a kitchen clock and I use it when I am studying. I set it usually from 30 to 45 minutes and after it runs out I have a 5-10 minute break. It helps me when I feel really demotivated.

So that's it for today. I hope you had a productive day. :smile:

P.S Totally random - I have just found Adele's song Remedy and I looovee it! :heart:

Oh my goodness, I love that timetable/ photo - it looks so pretty! That's a good idea with the timer, I am definitely going to try it, thanks :h: Haha, I love that song too!
Original post by Hannah-Brown
Oh my goodness, I love that timetable/ photo - it looks so pretty! That's a good idea with the timer, I am definitely going to try it, thanks :h: Haha, I love that song too!

Thanks! Thank you for the idea with the timetables :biggrin:
SUNDAY

Yesterday I was running a really high fever so I spent the whole day in bed. So I had to transfer my Saturday's timetable to today.
Let's see what I got done today:

Plan for Psychology IA

Plan for Physics IA

Correct French WA

Well, half is done. Not as good as I would want it to be, but it's ok.

I will try to get as much done during the week as possible. But I find it very hard to be productive during the week. After school, I just can't put myself to work. It's terrible. Does anyone have any tips on how to be productive on weekdays after school? Any advice would be very much appreciated.

I hope your weekend went well and I wish you a successful week :h:
SUNDAY

Yesterday I was running a really high fever so I spent the whole day in bed. So I had to transfer my Saturday's timetable to today.
Let's see what I got done today:

Plan for Psychology IA

Plan for Physics IA

Correct French WA

Well, half is done. Not as good as I would want it to be, but it's ok.

I will try to get as much done during the week as possible. But I find it very hard to be productive during the week. After school, I just can't put myself to work. It's terrible. Does anyone have any tips on how to be productive on weekdays after school? Any advice would be very much appreciated.

I hope your weekend went well and I wish you a successful week :h:

Oh no, I hope you are feeling better!
I'm terrible at working after school as well, cause I just keep telling myself that I've done enough work at school which really isn't the mindset I should have! But I do find that writing down a checklist helps as I fell bad if I haven't ticked them off.
Original post by Hannah-Brown
Oh no, I hope you are feeling better!
I'm terrible at working after school as well, cause I just keep telling myself that I've done enough work at school which really isn't the mindset I should have! But I do find that writing down a checklist helps as I fell bad if I haven't ticked them off.

I am better today, thank you.
A checklist is a good idea. I usually make checklists for the weekend but I will definitely try to do them for the weekdays as well. Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending