The Student Room Group

Aspiring Vet applicant in UK wanting to work in US

Hi all,
Im currently in year 12 completing my As levels. I do Chemistry, Biology and Physics. I have always wanted to be a vet for as long as I can remember and will be applying to vet schools in year 13. I want to be able to work in the US as my significant other lives there and I would prefer living there to be closer to him as we have been together for a long time.
As far as I know Glasgow,Edinburgh and RVC are the only AVMA accredited schools in the UK which makes my options very limited. Have any UK students successfully applied to Vet school in the US? What other options do I have? Should I apply to school in the Caribbean that are also AVMA accredited? Help!
UCD in Dublin is also AVMA accredited but if I remember correctly UK applicants have to be accepted to a UK school before they can be considered for UCD. All vet students in the US do an undergrad degree first as it is considered a doctorate degree so I'm not sure if you could apply straight out of A levels, that being said I'm only speculating and since A levels are at a higher level than US high school diplomas then perhaps it is possible.
Reply 2
Original post by spacelumps
UCD in Dublin is also AVMA accredited but if I remember correctly UK applicants have to be accepted to a UK school before they can be considered for UCD. All vet students in the US do an undergrad degree first as it is considered a doctorate degree so I'm not sure if you could apply straight out of A levels, that being said I'm only speculating and since A levels are at a higher level than US high school diplomas then perhaps it is possible.

Thank you for your response :smile:
I'll definitely have to research more into Dublin
Just to make you aware, if a course is not AVMA accreddited then you can still work in the US, you need to pass more exams and pay for these also before doing so. Not sure how difficult the exams are but this is just to make you aware of another option if you don't get into those 3 vet schools that you mentioned.
Reply 4
Original post by SilverstarDJ
Just to make you aware, if a course is not AVMA accreddited then you can still work in the US, you need to pass more exams and pay for these also before doing so. Not sure how difficult the exams are but this is just to make you aware of another option if you don't get into those 3 vet schools that you mentioned.

That would definitely be a last resort option. Definitely don't want to take extra exams + added expenses if i don't have to! Thank you smooch for your reply :h:
Reply 5
Studying in the UK and taking the NAVLE to work in the US would be less expensive than studying in the Caribbean at $22,000 a year :wink:

Bristol have submitted an application for AVMA accreditation.
Reply 6
Original post by lwescott
Studying in the UK and taking the NAVLE to work in the US would be less expensive than studying in the Caribbean at $22,000 a year :wink:

Bristol have submitted an application for AVMA accreditation.

Wow really? Thank you so much for that information!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending