The Student Room Group

Cells opposing one another

Hi all,

I'm trying to understand e.m.f. with cells and wondered if the following diagrams are correct or not:

scan0001.jpg

Do the voltages just add or subtract together to give a resultant voltage as I've drawn?

Thanks for any help.
Original post by Sir_Malc
Hi all,

I'm trying to understand e.m.f. with cells and wondered if the following diagrams are correct or not:

scan0001.jpg

Do the voltages just add or subtract together to give a resultant voltage as I've drawn?

Thanks for any help.

yeah - though I'd draw it a bit differently

kvl1901.jpg
FWIW this shows Kirchoffs Voltage law - that the sum of all pd's around a loop is zero.

you can decide to say clockwise is negative and go around the loop adding up
+9
equals 0 (you could equally validly pick any any start/end point or order)

and obviously you'd get the same result if you decided clockwise was positive.

it's useful if you know some of the pd's in a loop - because the unknown pds have to add up with the known pds to give a total of zero around the loop.
Reply 2
Thanks for your reply.

Is the second circuit diagram basically how a battery charger works? You have a bigger voltage reversing the current flow to charge the smaller battery?
Thanks for your reply.

Is the second circuit diagram basically how a battery charger works? You have a bigger voltage reversing the current flow to charge the smaller battery?

Well the basic idea there is to force charge back into the battery you're recharging with a reverse current... seeing opposing batteries doesn't imply one of the batteries is getting charged though, it might not be a rechargable type in which case it's just passing current and getting hot.
Reply 4
So in this exam question: Battery charger.png

The X point would attach to the positive terminal of the battery and the Y to the negative terminal. Thus producing a 'backwards' flow through the battery.
So in this exam question: Battery charger.png

The X point would attach to the positive terminal of the battery and the Y to the negative terminal. Thus producing a 'backwards' flow through the battery.

yeah
so if you're jump starting a car you put the leads +ve to +ve and -ve to -ve

Quick Reply

Latest