The Student Room Group

Student Loan Repayment; need help

I was studying in the UK for one term back in 2013. After that, I got sick, so I withdrew and came back to my country (EU). For two years, I didn't receive anything from SLC, because apparently, they got my contacts wrong. Luckily, I checked the situation myself and, surprise! I got "penalty" interest rate. However, my debt is only 2500 GBP.
Then they asked me to fill that Overseas Income Assessment form, which is okay, since I am unemployed and still studying but this time in my country. The thing is, I don't have an UK bank account, so I can't make a direct debit and fill this form. And there's no way I am going to get one... And I know it's my bad I didn't do anything, but now I have arrears and some weird number is phoning me everyday.
I don't want to sound like an *******, but what are the chances that something serious could happen to me? If I could, I would pay them back, but there's no way I can do it at the moment. Is there any way to fix this?

Thank you.
Original post by okultistas
I was studying in the UK for one term back in 2013. After that, I got sick, so I withdrew and came back to my country (EU). For two years, I didn't receive anything from SLC, because apparently, they got my contacts wrong. Luckily, I checked the situation myself and, surprise! I got "penalty" interest rate. However, my debt is only 2500 GBP.
Then they asked me to fill that Overseas Income Assessment form, which is okay, since I am unemployed and still studying but this time in my country. The thing is, I don't have an UK bank account, so I can't make a direct debit and fill this form. And there's no way I am going to get one... And I know it's my bad I didn't do anything, but now I have arrears and some weird number is phoning me everyday.
I don't want to sound like an *******, but what are the chances that something serious could happen to me? If I could, I would pay them back, but there's no way I can do it at the moment. Is there any way to fix this?

Thank you.

you shouldn't need a uk bank account, you should just be able to put down the details of the bank account you have and as you said they won't take repayments at the moment anyway.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending