The Student Room Group

Was feminism made for the benefit of white women

Scroll to see replies

everyone rep op
Waa waa These razors are 10 p more expensive and are pink this is a big problem.
But who cares about women that are not allowed schooling or basic rights when there are more expensive pink razors.
Reply 42
Original post by Angry Bird
everyone rep op

I totally agree
Original post by Jee1
I don't see feminist caring about the wellbeing of women and girls in third world countries where they live in danger and poverty on a daily basis. Instead, we see white women the most prevlidged group of people in the west looking out for their own self interest I.e constantly demanding pay increases when actually if they were really good at what they do then no one will say no to a pay increase.

Then they moan about not being represented in lucrative STEM fields when no one is stopping girls from pursuing STEM subjects like Electrical engineering and chemical engineering. There are not that many girls working as bin women, miners, sewage worker why can't feminists demand that there are equal reprentation on those fields??? PS I'm a girl BTW!

First wave feminism sought to define women as independent human beings. Women were the properties of their fathers and married women to their husbands. Married women didn't exist as a person in the legal sense. It also sought women's suffrage - women couldn't vote.

Second wave feminism went beyond defining women as independent human beings. Things such as equality of rights, equality of opportunity, end to sexist views against women and an end to discrimination. Rape in the marital sense domestic violence were also a theme among this wave.

Feminism was 'made' to strive towards a more equal society. In many ways, this has happened in the west.

I agree with the fact that many women have it extremely bad in developing countries. Female infanticide, honour killings, acid-throwing, low literacy rates, not having individual freedoms etc. You'll find that many feminists also recognize this. Not all of us are complaining about mansplaining and a mythical rape culture.

What you're against is third wave feminism. A wave which can only really boast about being more sex positive perhaps. Other than that it's an unguided cause with seemingly no end goal. It's seems to be forsaking what feminism is really about.

Yours Sincerely,
A Feminist
Reply 44
I totally agree.

If "Feminism" was truly about equality, it would be called "Gender Egalitarianism" and would focus on issues for both males and females.

Why is there no discussion on male suicide rates being far higher than women? Why are there no schemes for making Primary School Teachers 50:50 male and female? Why are there no schemes making university 50:50 male and female?
Reply 45
Original post by LisaNikita
I'd rather my child had cancer than modern day feminism

what a shameful comment
Reply 46
OP, well since feminism originated in a predominantly white country in order to gain rights for the women of that country, it is not surprising that mainly white women have been affected. Of course, the non-white women who live there will also equally benefit and many of them helped make the change... as it was about the country, not skin colour.

I actually think the main reason feminism is still so relevant today is because of women in other countries that are so abused and discriminated against purely for the fact they are women. If you really think that there isn't work being done to try and help these women then you clearly haven't even bothered looking. It is worth realising that it is much harder to change a country from the outside than it is from the inside though.

You can already see a change in other countries that are not white countries, such as India. A lot still needs to be done but I think it is very ignorant to say only white women have benefited.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Drunk Punx
So you're telling me that a social movement that was created during the Imperialist Victorian era in a predominantly white country in order to benefit the people of that country isn't concerned with people in other countries despite being uhh... still predominantly white? Shocking.

I'm being facetious, of course. Think before you type eh? Historical context is rather important.

Nonetheless, no-one can really deny that there is a huge disparity between what is being done to benefit the women of the First World countries and what is being done to benefit those of Third World countries. It's all very well to suggest that "charity begins at home", which is fair enough because you'd assume that the effect would ripple outwards, but in this modern day and age there's no real reason for there to be such a disparity what with the technology we've got for raising awareness, especially seeing as it doesn't really fall in line with the egalitarian concept that the movement was based on.

It's one thing to bring up the wage gap and whathaveyou, but more often than not, ethnic minorities are still earning less than their white counterparts (on average, and I realise that that's a *****y statistic to reference because, as rebuttals have often stated, you can't compare apples to oranges [for example, comparing the salary of a cashier to the salary of a CEO and saying "ehrmehrgehrd uneekwaliteeeee"]) yet that seems to be addressed far less when talking about the wage-gap (and before anyone jumps down my throat for mentioning it; no, the wage-gap is not a myth... it's a misrepresentation of statistics combined with a lack of common sense).

As I said to someone a while back (and this was a while back, so it's probably not as relevant now), if I had a penny for every time someone mentioned Page 3, and a pound for every time someone mentioned the abhorrent way women are treated in the Middle East, I'd get far richer off of the former than I would the latter.

So there is some credence to your argument. However, to insinuate that feminism has failed as a result of this is (that point isn't being solely attributed to you, merely referencing that I've seen it spread about fairly consistently), to quote a fat cartoon man, childish and pedantic. It'd be far more beneficial to society, and humanity as a whole, to shine the light on the women (and men. Because feminism is, at its' theoretical core, about reducing the inequality between the sexes regardless of which sex you are. But obviously that part hasn't translated very well across t'Internet) who are suffering due to a lack of feminism in a bid to try and create some kind of awareness for the need for social change instead of shining it at those who you perceive to be failing.

A simple yes would have sufficed.
Original post by AshEntropy
I totally agree.

If "Feminism" was truly about equality, it would be called "Gender Egalitarianism" and would focus on issues for both males and females.

Why is there no discussion on male suicide rates being far higher than women? Why are there no schemes for making Primary School Teachers 50:50 male and female? Why are there no schemes making university 50:50 male and female?

Trying to enforce diversity is a leap in the wrong direction. It's, in essence, promoting stupidly unfair discriminatory practices, and is thus no better than any other discrimination movement that has its roots in race or biological sex.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Jee1
I was a femenist before and then I realised that I was supporting something which was for the benefit of white women only. Regardless of gender if you are good then you can demand to get paid higher.
Men do the most dangerous and dirties types of jobs. I don't see them complaining or. demanding like 99% of feminists.

Woah and you are a women right?
Oh my days if you are I love you! (not like that you know what i mean)
Thats is the same things i have noticed i know lots of these women and girls at my school who are of different races and religions and they dont seem to understand this isnt for you its for other whites.

Looking at this in another modern day examples
look at the recent feminism protest at Trafalgar Square, all those women againt Donald Trump, LOL he hasnt even started to oppress women yet and they already care about it. Lets zoom in to the other side of the world, where women in Saudi Arabia are abused and mocked by men for driving. Even though by law they are allowed to drive.
Original post by CookieButter
12046459_f520.jpg

Exactly, same i know these women who are all like no not enough women in STEM careers and they are geniuses seriously they are geniuses
ME - "What are you studying at A -Levels?"
THEM - "English Lit & Lang', History, Gov & Politics, Citizenship

ME - "What do you think about the no of women in STEM careers"
THEM - "Stupid men oppressing us and not letting us go into STEM careers"
ME - "Oh ok. I totally see what you mean"
Original post by joe cooley
There is a key phrase missing from the OP

White mans burden (or in this case,womens)

You really should explain why you believe feminists in Gloucester are somehow responsible for women in the Gambia.

'White mans burden' - what bull crap
of course some women in gloucestor are responsible for women in ghana because if women in the western cared about equal rights for 'Women' , then it should be for all women not just some women in their own country because they are of the same skin colour.
This shows - its not about equal rights for women - its just equal (in some cases more rights) for white women
I agree. All these stupid western feminists are trash. They don't give a **** about anything other than blue/green hair, and body image. Maybe about sexual freedom but that is about it.

Ask them any question about the oppression of women in non western societies and they are silent. This is why I don't even class myself as a feminist anymore, they are so embarrassing it's sad.
Original post by Bibliophile101
Why do people always refer to Africa as one place? You wouldn't say Europe, you would say England or France, so why is Africa constantly seen as one big, poverty ridden country where people have no rights? It's a big continent with over 50 countries!

Oh guess what the reason those 50 countries are mentioned as a whole is because the ENTIRETY of Africa is poor and seriously need help. Obviously we dont mention it as Europe, the biggest problem in Europe is homelessness and this Myth about something called a WAGE GAP going around. In every country in Africa women are oppressed, maybe not so much South Africa but everywhere else for sure. I am a man by the way, I do not hate women i just dont agree with Modern Day Western World Feminism
Only thing that baffles me is why there is so much effort for women in STEM, but nothing for men in nursing? Do any feminists have an answer for this?
Original post by anarchism101
No-one ever makes this complaint about other campaign groups. No-one thinks it hypocritical that UK-based anti-homlessness groups focus most of their attention on homelessness in the UK rather than homelessness in say, Bangladesh, despite the fact that it's a more severe problem in Bangladesh. No-one asks why the NSPCC aren't putting their resources into protecting children in Iran. It's only feminist activists that are constantly criticised for placing a greater focus on their own country's domestic issues as if that's somehow an odd thing for activists to do.

There is your mistake right their pal. 'UK Based'
NSPCC is UK based and so only can focus on the UK, and I am sure they would reach out to other countries, if they had the funding to do so. Feminism isnt a specific country based, it is the equal rights for men and women. 'Women', not just 'White Women', in the western world, as is happening right now. Nowadays we just have a bunch of selfish women in the west who want more and more even though they have all equal rights and arent mistreated in any way. But still on the other side of the world women are struggling to even receive free education due to being oppressed.
Original post by Mr Dee Mented
'White mans burden' - what bull crap
of course some women in gloucestor are responsible for women in ghana because if women in the western cared about equal rights for 'Women' , then it should be for all women not just some women in their own country

Do you hold this for all political issues? For instance, do you think British NHS campaigners should be more concerned with the state of healthcare in Ghana? Do you think the NSPCC should be primarily campaigning against child abuse in Ghana? And that because they don't, they therefore must not believe in equal rights?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you hold this for all political issues? For instance, do you think British NHS campaigners should be more concerned with the state of healthcare in Ghana? Do you think the NSPCC should be primarily campaigning against child abuse in Ghana? And that because they don't, they therefore must not believe in equal rights?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have seen another post like this and hopefully you realise that those are UK based companies and groups. Obviously they wouldnt care about the healthcare in Ghana and the child abuse in Ghana, I am sure that if they had the funding and the money they would but they dont. However with feminism it is different because it isnt a company it is equal rights for all women which it should be about not just equal rights for white women.
Original post by Mr Dee Mented
In every country in Africa women are oppressed, maybe not so much South Africa but everywhere else for sure.

Let me guess - you don't actually know that much about Africa, but just assumed that because it's relatively poor, women must therefore be more oppressed there, but you know South Africa is richer, and so assumed gender equality must be better there? Right?

Worth actually checking some stats. Gender equality rankings actually usually put Rwanda as one of the best in the world, comfortably above South Africa. Namibia usually ranks above SA as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Let me guess - you don't actually know that much about Africa, but just assumed that because it's relatively poor, women must therefore be more oppressed there, but you know South Africa is richer, and so assumed gender equality must be better there? Right?

Worth actually checking some stats. Gender equality rankings actually usually put Rwanda as one of the best in the world, comfortably above South Africa. Namibia usually ranks above SA as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Also in the middle east the rich oils countries like Saudi Arabia have by far worse treatment of women where as in the poor region where Rojava is a thing women have the most rights.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending