The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Help please, is it really true about the cockroaches

Hi guys, I've applied for UCL and meet the grades but I'm worried about the accommodation I've heard stories and seen paper reports that halls are infested with cockroaches. I'm really frightened of them they freak me out, couldn't sleep in a room with them no way too scared. Is it really true they are infested?
I doubt those rumours tbh. Right now, they are refurbishing alot of new buildings, and I think this includes the accomodation.

Speaking of which when did you apply?
I've sent mine in October and still haven't received any reply like many others. :frown:
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
tbh cockroaches don't go in bedrooms so much; they tend to hang out in kitchens & bathrooms. hope this helps.
Original post by the bear
tbh cockroaches don't go in bedrooms so much; they tend to hang out in kitchens & bathrooms. hope this helps.

Unless you constantly eat food in your room and get it everywhere.
Original post by Stoke123
I doubt those rumours tbh. Right now, they are refurbishing alot of new buildings, and I think this includes the accomodation.

Speaking of which when did you apply?
I've sent mine in October and still haven't received any reply like many others. :frown:

I applied finalised my application in January, but the course I'm doing is undersubscribed so that's maybe why. Good luck btw
Any response from anyone who stayed in UCL their accommodation about roaches? The prices are different in the different buildings but you don't get to choose which one some are in my price range others I really can't afford
Original post by jane matthews
Any response from anyone who stayed in UCL their accommodation about roaches? The prices are different in the different buildings but you don't get to choose which one some are in my price range others I really can't afford

I was in astor, one of the cheapest halls. No roaches.
Reply 7
I lived at Ifor Evans for my first year and it was terrible. Besides that, I have spotted several mice lurking in the Cruciform library at the end of my final year :biggrin:
Original post by AnApple
I lived at Ifor Evans for my first year and it was terrible. Besides that, I have spotted several mice lurking in the Cruciform library at the end of my final year :biggrin:

When you say bad at Ifor evans do you mean roaches? thanks for responding

Cheers guys really useful info keep it coming.Any one else, any input?
Reply 9
living in max rayne right now - seen cockroaches and rats, but only in the kitchens. one cockroach in the bathroom apparently. it's just a city thing i think, considering these buildings are ancient too there's not a lot UCL can do about it. saw a FAT coackroach in the print room cafe (one on campus) the other week as well, but it's not bad. the cleaners look out for em too, and i haven't seen one for a while~!
Original post by amehlia
living in max rayne right now - seen cockroaches and rats, but only in the kitchens. one cockroach in the bathroom apparently. it's just a city thing i think, considering these buildings are ancient too there's not a lot UCL can do about it. saw a FAT coackroach in the print room cafe (one on campus) the other week as well, but it's not bad. the cleaners look out for em too, and i haven't seen one for a while~!

Oh cheers and how long does it take you to get from max rayne to the main campus by walk/ bus.
Reply 11
Original post by jane matthews
Oh cheers and how long does it take you to get from max rayne to the main campus by walk/ bus.

30-40 mins walk, depends how fast you are haha! bus can take anywhere from 15-40 minutes depending on traffic/weather etc so i usually dont bother with it unless it's raining or dark:smile:
Original post by amehlia

(hope this doesn't come across cheeky) . If a café or rental had rats in my area and it got reported to environmental health etc. the place would get shut down and investigated straight away and if the owner new about it they'd get prosecuted very quick.

If UCL has got £1 billion income a year is there really nothing they can do about this? I read about a few of the students refusing to pay rent, instead shouldn't the students report not to the Uni but to the Health authorities and UCL paying out a mega fine?

Losing a few thousand quid won't bother them but if they were set to lose like £100 million don't you guys thin they would solve it ASAP.

(Sorry guys I don't live in London so maybe I'm talking rubbish) Can restaurants in london get away with rats and cockroaches as well? if it happened in my area it just wouldn't be good enough and excuses wouldn't work.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 13
haha not cheeky at all, exactly what i thought before i moved! it's not like anywhere is overflowing with mice/bugs, only a few people have seen em, so i don't exactly mind but that might just be me being too chill 😅 cause the buildings are old and students live here the place is always gonna be a hotspot for roaches, at some point max rayne will get shut down to be redone which is what theyve done with astor. they cant really do much because theyd have to shift all the students living here to have the place fumigated. london has bugs and rats and stuff, it's just cause of all the rubbish everywhere sadly! it will get sorted at some point probably, just not anytime soon

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending