The Student Room Group

Chemistry Graphite Q

Does molten graphite conduct electricity? I thought it wouldn't because the structure of graphite would be disrupted..

Thanks
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
If you were able to melt it, what particles would be floating around?
Original post by Pigster
If you were able to melt it, what particles would be floating around?

Mmmmm delocalised electrons? Therefore they will still be free to move and carry charge????
Reply 3
Original post by revisionlad
Mmmmm delocalised electrons? Therefore they will still be free to move and carry charge????

If you had delocalised electrons in a liquid, would that require you to have carbon (+) ions also floating around.

Have you ever come across C+ ions?
Original post by Pigster
If you had delocalised electrons in a liquid, would that require you to have carbon (+) ions also floating around.

Have you ever come across C+ ions?

Mmm I haven't....But I thought it couldn't conduct in molten form as the hexagonal ring structure was disrupted
Reply 5
Original post by revisionlad
Mmm I haven't....But I thought it couldn't conduct in molten form as the hexagonal ring structure was disrupted

It indeed can't conduct when molten as it has free moving atoms of carbon. Atoms, as you know, are neutral and hence find it difficult to conduct electricity.
Original post by Pigster
It indeed can't conduct when molten as it has free moving atoms of carbon. Atoms, as you know, are neutral and hence find it difficult to conduct electricity.

mm..thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest