The Student Room Group

I have no freedom

I'm in year 12 doing A Levels and my parents never let me out the house on weekends and I feel like I have no friends and feel so lonely all the time, because I'm missing out on so much and when I'm older I'll have nothing to remember about my teen years. - Because they let me do nothing!!

I also feel so fat and upset because all I do is sit down ALL DAY on weekends. They say no to parties and even going to town with friends

I literally have no life. There should be a balance between work and play. And because I get no play I can't even focus on work because this is on my mind 24/7.
I just feel sad all the time

They probably won't let me go out next year either when I'm 18. I hate my life so much

what should I do?
Reply 1
Original post by IAspireToSucceed
I'm in year 12 doing A Levels and my parents never let me out the house on weekends and I feel like I have no friends and feel so lonely all the time, because I'm missing out on so much and when I'm older I'll have nothing to remember about my teen years. - Because they let me do nothing!!

I also feel so fat and upset because all I do is sit down ALL DAY on weekends. They say no to parties and even going to town with friends

I literally have no life. There should be a balance between work and play. And because I get no play I can't even focus on work because this is on my mind 24/7.

They probably won't let me go out next year either when I'm 18. I hate my life so much

what should I do?

Why do they refrain you from going out.
Original post by stoyfan
Why do they refrain you from going out.

I always say how I feel left out and have no friends etc. but they say wait for uni then you can have freedom. or they straight up say "you should know why!' -I literally haven't done anything!
Reply 3
Make up good supporting points about why you should go out and how it is affecting you. Then pester them by continually asking them whether you can go out. Also emphasise that you revise enough.

Like, wtf. When you are 18 you should be granted total freedom considering you are an adult. Not when you go to uni.
Original post by stoyfan
Make up good supporting points about why you should go out and how it is affecting you. Then pester them by continually asking them whether you can go out. Also emphasise that you revise enough.

Like, wtf. When you are 18 you should be granted total freedom considering you are an adult. Not when you go to uni.

I literally have! I say it everyday, then they start saying how my grades are rubbish etc- when I'm doing alright.

Exactly! I should have freedom now though too! I'm not in year 7! I'm in sixth form/college

what should I do?

Are your parents asian?

Sounds like they wont listen. have you seen the GP about stress and depression? I doubt your parents care they are misguided that it has to be study all the time with no relaxation.

Are you on for high grades?

If you go to a good uni, then make sure its far enough away so you really can be free. You could srt some volunteering work or a DOE to get you out and enhance your application. I dont think you will change their minds so hunker down and make the most of things. Your ducation becomes your escape.
Original post by 999tigger
Are your parents asian?

Sounds like they wont listen. have you seen the GP about stress and depression? I doubt your parents care they are misguided that it has to be study all the time with no relaxation.

Are you on for high grades?

If you go to a good uni, then make sure its far enough away so you really can be free. You could srt some volunteering work or a DOE to get you out and enhance your application. I dont think you will change their minds so hunker down and make the most of things. Your ducation becomes your escape.

Lol yes they're Indian. The thing is they are jokes and nice but always say no to social things idk why. But all my Asian friends have 100% freedom and get top grades.
I get zero freedom and average grades.
I don't understand the correlation between going out (when you done work and are doing well in school) and work?

Yes I really want As and A*s , but am finding it so hard to focus on work when my head is always about why I don't have any freedom
Lol yes they're Indian. The thing is they are jokes and nice but always say no to social things idk why. But all my Asian friends have 100% freedom and get top grades.
I don't understand the correlation between going out (when you done work and are doing well in school) and work?

Yes I really want As and A*s , but am finding it so hard to focus on work when my head is always about why I don't have any freedom

Talk to a school counsellor?

What year are you in 12 or 13?

Do you know what you want to do? Have you reserahced it and go a target to aim for?

If its Y13 then I would knuckle down. I get the impression your parents will not listen to you whether right or wrong because to allow change would be to admit errors. I cna argue with the best of them, but in this case I can see your boice will not be heard. You are a child and they know best etc. Reason doesnt work.

If you really must crack this, then how about seeing your GP for depression and anxiety and tell them its because your life is so restricted you are feeling naxious/ depressed etc. Ask if you can have counseling or a child psychologist becayse you are worried about your development. Maybe your parents will recognise its a serious issue and the psychologist/ gp or teachers can give you a note to tell your parents you need rest and relaxation as well. Perhaps if they think you arent developing well then they will let you go out. That would eb my best shot besides silly things.

They are being stubborn and short sighted... glad im not in that position.

If that isnt going to work, then theres the double strategy of:

1. Trying to have a social life through online, social media, inviting friends round. Poor I know, but at least ypu can talk to people. maybe online gaming? I used to raid in wow, that is pretty sociable.

2. Knuckle down and look at uni as your escape and freedom. Work hard and make sure you escape. Maybe you can persuade them to get a job (save money and gain experience) or vol work?

Hang in there. You have limited cards to play. Its better if you get to a uni of your choice and a course you want to do. Its possible to knucle down for 1 year. read books watch films and box sets.

Are you allowed and do they have any after school activities. You cna pretend its school work.
What about an EPQ? that could ive you a chance to do external research if you plan it right? DoE allows you to plan a trek and get away, do it with a friend and use it as a holiday. They cant argue with these and you could get the support of your teachers.

Cant think of much else
Original post by 999tigger
What year are you in 12 or 13?

Do you know what you want to do? Have you reserahced it and go a target to aim for?

If its Y13 then I would knuckle down. I get the impression your parents will not listen to you whether right or wrong because to allow change would be to admit errors. I cna argue with the best of them, but in this case I can see your boice will not be heard. You are a child and they know best etc. Reason doesnt work.

If you really must crack this, then how about seeing your GP for depression and anxiety and tell them its because your life is so restricted you are feeling naxious/ depressed etc. Ask if you can have counseling or a child psychologist becayse you are worried about your development. Maybe your parents will recognise its a serious issue and the psychologist/ gp or teachers can give you a note to tell your parents you need rest and relaxation as well. Perhaps if they think you arent developing well then they will let you go out. That would eb my best shot besides silly things.

They are being stubborn and short sighted... glad im not in that position.

If that isnt going to work, then theres the double strategy of:

1. Trying to have a social life through online, social media, inviting friends round. Poor I know, but at least ypu can talk to people. maybe online gaming? I used to raid in wow, that is pretty sociable.

2. Knuckle down and look at uni as your escape and freedom. Work hard and make sure you escape. Maybe you can persuade them to get a job (save money and gain experience) or vol work?

Hang in there. You have limited cards to play. Its better if you get to a uni of your choice and a course you want to do. Its possible to knucle down for 1 year. read books watch films and box sets.

Are you allowed and do they have any after school activities. You cna pretend its school work.
What about an EPQ? that could ive you a chance to do external research if you plan it right? DoE allows you to plan a trek and get away, do it with a friend and use it as a holiday. They cant argue with these and you could get the support of your teachers.

Cant think of much else

I'm year 12. The only social thing I do is DofE which is 2 hours long every other Monday.- When I go I feel so happy!
Thank you so much X
I'm year 12. The only social thing I do is DofE which is 2 hours long every other Monday.- When I go I feel so happy!
Thank you so much X

Make it so your activities are planned for outside and as far away as possible. Also see if there are any summer schools that you can do or school trups where you can get away.

The child psychologist might panic them into listening because obvioysly they will say to be happy and a good student you need some time off, even if its 2 evenings a week. If you are that unhappy then dont be embarrassed, just do it, perhaps a bit of family shame as they see it might shame them into letting you have a bit more freedom. Also tell teachers you trust or ask them what to do. I never had to deal with this, but the above are ways I might tackle it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending