The Student Room Group

Which A-Level options should I pick?? Help please!!

(edited 6 years ago)
Sounds like the course you're suited for is Law by the looks of it.

My advice, take:

1. Maths
2. English Lit/Lang.
3. Psychology
I've done politics, it's a fantastic course. A lot of my friends take history with politics and they say it's a fantastic combination. The history gives a lot of context and makes it easier to give examples of political theories etc.
Reply 3
Original post by Stoke123
Sounds like the course you're suited for is Law by the looks of it.

My advice, take:

1. Maths
2. English Lit/Lang.
3. Psychology

Thank you! But I find English quite boring and psychology is too over-subscribed to get a secure place at my school, so theres no point me applying for that when I will probably end up doing my reserve choice :frown:
Reply 4
I think History and politics to go very well together as a lot of the history stuff at A level is based around politics (or so I've heard).

I take English Literature and I can say that I love it, the texts and themes we study are very interesting and the course isn't too intensive :smile:

Biology however I would not recommend, I took biology last year but dropped it due to me personally finding it very boring as well as extremely difficult. There started or with 14 of us doing biology but I think now there is only 3/2 left as the rest dropped it.

Then it also boils down to what kind of path you wanna go down in the future.

But also be prepared for what you want to do to change.

English literature is also good as no matter what career path you go down, English Literature and Maths always looks good on a CV :smile:

Hope this helped.

My picks were

(Music Technology, English Literature and Psychology)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by poppydoodle
Our subject applications are due next week and I still don't know what a levels to pick!

I know I am definitely doing maths as it's my best predicted grade (9) and I enjoy it. I originally wanted to do politics as I find it interesting, and then Biology but I wasnt that keen on doing Biology as I find it boring and useless.

My parents want me to history instead of biology, they think it will suit me better but I don't know if history and politics together is a bad combination? I am enjoying gcse history but the a level syllabus looks horrific (russia, tudors, witchcraft). I don't like writing essays, but I am okay at them (predicted an A in english/history) and I know that will be a good skill to keep for my later degree.

I know I won't do history or science at university but those are the only facilitating subjects I'm good at! I'm predicted an A at both by the way.
If someone who has done either Biology/History/Politics could give me some advice on which three a levels to pick that would be great!

Also we only do three Alevels now, so I can't drop any at the end of the first year!

Have you considered geography?
Politics and history isn't a weird combination at all - I know loads of people who do both. I'm not so sure about politics, but History is very intensive and there is a lot to remember. Out of all the subjects I do I would say History is the worst in terms of workload (I do Maths, French, English Lit as well). However if you are enjoying GCSE and are interested in the subject I would definitely recommend doing it. As for the syllabus, I'm doing Modern Britain and Russia as opposed to Tudors and the Cold War, so I can't be of much help there. I'm personally finding my syllabus very interesting. I can say though that my friends at my old school that are doing History are also doing Tudors and the Cold War, and I haven't heard any complaints about the syllabus being boring or anything.

Biology I would definitely say to steer clear of as at A-Level it's renowned for how heavy it is in terms of content. It'd definitely be a drag to go through if you don't like it.

However also keep in mind that with History and Politics there are a lot of essays, obviously. You've said you don't particularly like writing essays so maybe think about that as well when making your choices.

Good luck!
Reply 7
Our subject applications are due next week and I still don't know what a levels to pick!

I know I am definitely doing maths as it's my best predicted grade (9) and I enjoy it. I originally wanted to do politics as I find it interesting, and then Biology but I wasnt that keen on doing Biology as I find it boring and useless.

My parents want me to history instead of biology, they think it will suit me better but I don't know if history and politics together is a bad combination? I am enjoying gcse history but the a level syllabus looks horrific (russia, tudors, witchcraft). I don't like writing essays, but I am okay at them (predicted an A in english/history) and I know that will be a good skill to keep for my later degree.

I know I won't do history or science at university but those are the only facilitating subjects I'm good at! I'm predicted an A at both by the way.
If someone who has done either Biology/History/Politics could give me some advice on which three a levels to pick that would be great!

Also we only do three Alevels now, so I can't drop any at the end of the first year!

Have you considered economics? Sounds like it'd suit you.

I have a lot of friends doing biology and it's a LOT of work - so much to learn!

History/politics isn't a weird combination. Most people who take politics' biggest criticism of it is the bigots they end up with in their class.
(edited 7 years ago)
Thank you! But I find English quite boring and psychology is too over-subscribed to get a secure place at my school, so theres no point me applying for that when I will probably end up doing my reserve choice :frown:

Hmm I see, but remember what ever subjects you choose should be carefully thought through based off the level of satisfaction for yourself and the entry requirements of the course you'll be applying to.
Reply 9
I used to do biology (dropped it at AS)- I personally found it easy, but because of this I found it boring (turns out I was the only one finding it easy though). Most people I know who do biology find for them it is the amount of knowledge you need to know for it is just horrific, as you have to remember lots across the 2 years. I wouldn't recommend it unless you intend to go into a science background, I dropped it at AS because in my year they let us do the AS level if we wanted to. I know quite a few people in my year do government and politics- I believe one person got an offer from Cambridge for law who takes it. (they actually do Maths, History, Biology and government and politics, weird)
Original post by Emma:-)
Have you considered geography?

I didn't take it at gcse unfortunately

Quick Reply

Latest