Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheDestinedOne
With that say, I will finally conclude by saying I HAVE AN OFFER

Nominative determinism strikes again :smile:

Congratulations (and thanks)!
Original post by jneill
Nominative determinism strikes again :smile:

Congratulations (and thanks)!

Out of sheer curiosity, I must ask - what is nominative determinism?
Original post by fablereader
Out of sheer curiosity, I must ask - what is nominative determinism?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nominative_determinism

:tongue:

OP was clearly destined to get the offer...
Original post by jneill
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nominative_determinism

:tongue:

OP was clearly destined to get the offer...

And here I was thinking it was something to do with the nominative case, should have guessed it would have to do with the name. :biggrin: (Hmm, I've never considered, could 'nominative' be descended from 'nomen', the Latin for 'name', among other translations.)

(Yes, I spend way too much time among Latin.)
(edited 7 years ago)
And here I was thinking it was something to do with the nominative case, should have guessed it would have to do with the name. :biggrin: (Hmm, I've never considered, could 'nominative' be descended from 'nomen', the Latin for 'name', among other translations.)

(Yes, I spend way too much time among Latin.)

Yup, just like genitive comes from gignere and dative from dare (and I was confused by that determinism in the exact same way :tongue:)
Original post by daniilS
Yup, just like genitive comes from gignere and dative from dare (and I was confused by that determinism in the exact same way :tongue:)

Ablative comes from 'aufero' (just wanted to add my own two cents)
Original post by wolfmoon88
Hahaha that's true :yep: less time and it is definitely cheaper if US doesn't offer financial aid. You applied for ESPS in UCL? Hahaha I think the one in HK as well, you need to be a resident of HK to have an interview there :/ More Oxford applicants in the US compared to Cambridge :yep:

IB mocks are coming up soon :eek2: AP mocks are not that bad, cuz we have to take 2-3 exams per subject.... Biology is such a broad field, both on the macro and micro levels. Hahaha well modern society is capitalist in nature, so you can make that argument that everything has something to do with maths :tongue: and yeah development of science is very much influenced by mathematical models and theories. Meh... still have more days of school after that so probs not :/ homework never stops :tongue:

It is so much cheaper than a US uni with little aid! I looked into ESPS but I didn't like its focus on Europe...I applied to PPE which has like a 3% acceptance rate but I just thought I'd try for the heck of it :tongue:

2-3 exams per subject sounds absolutely brutal...you poor soul...I just pretty much have to make sure I don't fail any class, and colleges won't revoke my admission :rofl: and yeah, a little maths is in everything :wink: 20/80 principle?
Original post by unknowntsr
Ablative comes from 'aufero' (just wanted to add my own two cents)

Have fellow Classicists finally landed?!?
Original post by jennym1957

Well, I'm a (failed) Oxfordite, so I could be considered an alien one around here ... :biggrin:
Original post by jennym1957

Latin is bae lmao could talk for ageeeesss about it, lit AND lang

Spoiler

Latin is bae lmao could talk for ageeeesss about it, lit AND lang

Spoiler

Ooooooooooooooooh.

Oxford is not ugly, it's marvellous!
Ooooooooooooooooh.

Oxford is not ugly, it's marvellous!

Oxford is admittedly more traditionally pretty but Cambridge’s botanical gardens > oxford’s botanical gardens

and currently attempting to translate from ovid right now lol
Oxford is admittedly more traditionally pretty but Cambridge’s botanical gardens > oxford’s botanical gardens

and currently attempting to translate from ovid right now lol

I have honestly visited neither botanical gardens, so I'll leave it at 'Oxford is ... more ... pretty'. :biggrin:

I have Tacitus. I've translated Ovid before, and I can tell you it seemed OK for me, but Tacitus - Tacitus is horrible.
(edited 7 years ago)
I have honestly visited neither botanical gardens, so I'll leave it at 'Oxford is ... more ... pretty'. :biggrin:

I have Tacitus. I've translated Ovid before, and I can tell you it seemed OK for me, but Tacitus - Tacitus is horrible.

are you doing the annals 4, by any chance? It feels weird to be translating what was essentially the roman version of The Sun or The Mirror :rofl:
are you doing the annals 4, by any chance? It feels weird to be translating what was essentially the roman version of The Sun or The Mirror :rofl:

Yep. Translating them, cursing them, screaming in frustration as I search for the bloody verbs in them ...
Yep. Translating them, cursing them, screaming in frustration as I search for the bloody verbs in them ...

have fun with tacitus and all his linguistic complexities! :grin:
have fun with tacitus and all his linguistic complexities! :grin:

I'll try, thanks! *try* *get lost in the maze of words* *stumble around in utter confusion*
Original post by rissanicole14
It is so much cheaper than a US uni with little aid! I looked into ESPS but I didn't like its focus on Europe...I applied to PPE which has like a 3% acceptance rate but I just thought I'd try for the heck of it :tongue:

2-3 exams per subject sounds absolutely brutal...you poor soul...I just pretty much have to make sure I don't fail any class, and colleges won't revoke my admission :rofl: and yeah, a little maths is in everything :wink: 20/80 principle?

Good luck hahaha PPE is cool :yep: def so much cheaper than the US :tongue:

Hahaha I have to make sure I don't fail any classes as well :rofl: mostly cuz if I drop the ball, I am screwed for the IB exam :rofl: Part of the equation of life on earth definitely ;yep:
Hello! And I don't put the cat out, I clean out its litter and feed it, not leave it outside in the cold.

(And I'm only harmless so far, I still have yet to get vengeance against @carpenoctem ... )

I'm still waiting :smile:
Original post by carpenoctem
I'm still waiting :smile:

Shouldn't the suspense have reduced you to a mental wreck by now? :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending