The Student Room Group

WJEC Information & Communication Technology IT3 (LEGACY) 1243/01 - 16 Jun 2017

Date of Examination: Friday, 16th June 2017 (AM)

Hey guys; Its almost that time of the year again, where we all need to grind out those past paper questions and memorise marking schemes! - By the way, if you didn't know, mark schemes are everything for IT1 and IT3, so get learning them! (try to place the most emphasis on the newest ones, since they have changed a little over the years).

Discuss your revision habits / tips or just chat about the exam by making a post below! - We had a huge AS Level thread going last year, lets do it again!

Possible conversation topics?:

How far are you through the syllabus?

How confident are you feeling for the exam?

Are you resitting the AS Level IT1 paper after disappointment last year?

How is your coursework coming along?

How is the exam content taught in your school?

What is your AS Level grade for ICT?

How often do you revise?

Do you agree with the method described in this post, does it work for you?

=====

Topic List (As per textbook)
NB: If you are going to use the textbook, ONLY use it to gain understanding / 'pad out' your answers ie: add additional detail to your mark scheme answers. It is utterly essential that you get the mark scheme points down on the paper. Have I emphasised that enough yet? :P

1. Networks (comes up on every paper)
2. The Internet (comes up on every paper)
3. HCIs (comes up on every paper)
4. Working with ICT (comes up most of the time)
5. Security Policies (comes up on every paper)
6. Database Systems (comes up on every paper as Option 2 of Section B)
7. Management of Change (doesn't come up very often, rarest of them all)
8. Management Information Systems (comes up on every paper, basically the same question too)
9. System Development Life Cycle (comes up on every paper)

PAST PAPERS | MARKING SCHEMES | SPECIFICATION | REPORTS

https://jacktilson.net/edu/ict

Click that link (or copy and paste it to your URL bar if it isn't working) - every exam paper ever held for this specification is on there, along with their corresponding marking schemes.

TOPIC BY TOPIC REVISION? - HERE'S A PACK OF QUESTIONS FOR YOU!

https://jacktilson.net/edu/ict/misc/IT3-Question-Pack.pdf

It's a PDF so you are able to view it on all of your devices, and don't need Microsoft Office. On the main ICT site (the first link), I've also put a button above the table containing the papers and mark schemes which will allow you to access this revision pack easily.

=====

I recommend the following technique:

1) Segregate the questions by topic, and answer all of them by reading the marking scheme and writing down everything you can remember - then confirm that you have accurately copied.

2) Try to answer all of the distinct question types from that topic again, only using the mark scheme when you feel you REALLY need it to jog your memory (only a glance!!!) - then confirm you have accurately copied.

3) Answer all of the distinct question types from the topic again but this time, NO mark schemes. Only use them after you have completed the question. NO CHEATING!. Kick yourself in the ass when you get something wrong, remember your error and correct it!!

4) After you feel you have adequate knowledge of each topic's mark schemes, proceed to complete a past paper. I recommend doing the more recent ones first. Pay close attention to any discrepancies between your work and the mark scheme and apply effort to ensure that you are writing as snugly to the scheme as you can!

5) Keep your knowledge strong and pound it into your long term memory by regularly completing past papers (one a week?) right through to the exam. When you run out, just start from the start and work through them all again.

Yes its laborious, yes its monotonous, yes its boring, BUT IT WORKS!
I did this last year with IT1 (a little less perfectly) and came out with 101/120 UMS. (A) in IT1.

=====

Exam aside, you should be making it your priority to get as many marks in the coursework project as possible!
Make no mistake, these ICT examiners have no mercy, and more often than not, the mean grade is an E... (I'm not joking, see the below image for an example from summer 2012, it happens all the time) - but don't panic, take this advice on board, and you'll be fine.

Remember, work hard, work consistently and I wish you the very best of luck to you all for each of your upcoming exams! You'll get the grades you deserve - I hope there are no nasty surprises, for our sake :biggrin:

ICT, WJEC ICT, ict, it, unit 3, ict unit 3, summer 2017, june 2017 <== (Extra Tags, to help people find this thread)
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PedanticStudent

Date of Examination: Friday, 16th June 2017 (AM)

Hey guys; Its almost that time of the year again, where we all need to grind out those past paper questions and memorise marking schemes! - By the way, if you didn't know, mark schemes are everything for IT1 and IT3, so get learning them! (try to place the most emphasis on the newest ones, since they have changed a little over the years).

Discuss your revision habits / tips or just chat about the exam by making a post below! - We had a huge AS Level thread going last year, lets do it again!

Possible conversation topics?:

How far are you through the syllabus?

How confident are you feeling for the exam?

Are you resitting the AS Level IT1 paper after disappointment last year?

How is your coursework coming along?

How is the exam content taught in your school?

What is your AS Level grade for ICT?

How often do you revise?

Do you agree with the method described in this post, does it work for you?

=====

Topic List (As per textbook)
NB: If you are going to use the textbook, ONLY use it to gain understanding / 'pad out' your answers ie: add additional detail to your mark scheme answers. It is utterly essential that you get the mark scheme points down on the paper. Have I emphasised that enough yet? :P

1. Networks (comes up on every paper)
2. The Internet (comes up on every paper)
3. HCIs (comes up on every paper)
4. Working with ICT (comes up most of the time)
5. Security Policies (comes up on every paper)
6. Database Systems (comes up on every paper as Option 2 of Section B (ALWAYS PICK THIS!!))
7. Management of Change (doesn't come up very often, rarest of them all)
8. Management Information Systems (comes up on every paper, basically the same question too)
9. System Development Life Cycle (comes up on every paper)

PAST PAPERS | MARKING SCHEMES | SPECIFICATION | REPORTS

https://jacktilson.net/edu/ict

Click that link (or copy and paste it to your URL bar if it isn't working) - every exam paper ever held for this specification is on there, along with their corresponding marking schemes. Also coming soon is a big PDF of all of the questions split up into topics. I'll update this post when that's available.

=====

I recommend the following technique:

1) Segregate the questions by topic, and answer all of them by reading the marking scheme and writing down everything you can remember - then confirm that you have accurately copied.

2) Try to answer all of the distinct question types from that topic again, only using the mark scheme when you feel you REALLY need it to jog your memory (only a glance!!!) - then confirm you have accurately copied.

3) Answer all of the distinct question types from the topic again but this time, NO mark schemes. Only use them after you have completed the question. NO CHEATING!. Kick yourself in the ass when you get something wrong, remember your error and correct it!!

4) After you feel you have adequate knowledge of each topic's mark schemes, proceed to complete a past paper. I recommend doing the more recent ones first. Pay close attention to any discrepancies between your work and the mark scheme and apply effort to ensure that you are writing as snugly to the scheme as you can!

5) Keep your knowledge strong and pound it into your long term memory by regularly completing past papers (one a week?) right through to the exam. When you run out, just from the start and work through them all again.

Yes its laborious, yes its monotonous, yes its boring, BUT IT WORKS!
I did this last year with IT1 (a little less perfectly) and came out with 101/120 UMS. (A) in IT1.

=====

Exam aside, you should be making it your priority to get as many marks in the coursework project as possible!
Make no mistake, these ICT examiners have no mercy, and more often than not, the mean grade is an E... (I'm not joking, see the below image for an example from summer 2012, it happens all the time) - but don't panic, take this advice on board, and you'll be fine.

Remember, work hard, work consistently and I wish you the very best of luck to you all for each of your upcoming exams! You'll get the grades you deserve - I hope there are no nasty surprises, for our sake :biggrin:

ICT, WJEC ICT, ict, it, unit 3, ict unit 3, summer 2017, june 2017 <== (Extra Tags, to help people find this thread)

Thank you so much, I did this method too and it does work
Guys I'm stuck I've got my ICT exam and my history exam on the same day 😭😭
Original post by AminaNessa

It will be fine dw, if you start revising ICT now it will be less pressure and if you do well in your coursework :smile: I would not stress about it:smile:
Original post by AminaNessa

Join the club haha. I have the hardest maths exam a huge 90 minutes after walking out of the IT exam :awesome:
Reply 5
That's what happened to me last year i had two exams on one day one of them which was IT1 ... didnt go bad though got B in both
but for IT i got 157 ums and i got my paper back i got 8/16 in spreadsheet which killed off my chances to get an A that's why im retaking the exam.

Any idea how I should balance AS ict And A2 ict ? in last few months i have left
Original post by AA923
That's what happened to me last year i had two exams on one day one of them which was IT1 ... didnt go bad though got B in both
but for IT i got 157 ums and i got my paper back i got 8/16 in spreadsheet which killed off my chances to get an A that's why im retaking the exam.

Any idea how I should balance AS ict And A2 ict ? in last few months i have left

I would give it a 60/40 split in favour of IT3 since your highest IT1 mark will stand (if you do worse it doesn't matter)

I think that there is a higher quantity of information to memorise for IT1, but not by much, so really I guess it might be better to treat them equally. Just learn everything, that's the general thesis to follow.
Reply 7
For A2 ive learnt unit1-7.. its just a matter of memory recapping
Original post by AA923
For A2 ive learnt unit1-7.. its just a matter of memory recapping

I've done 1 and 6 but I'm not resitting anything so pacing myself.

Got a mock exam on 1, 2, 3, 4 and 6 in two weeks so I'll be dedicating a day to each topic, then just keep repeating questions until the mock. I convinced my teacher to let me stay out of the theory lessons since I had the best mark by a longshot last year.

For coursework, I'm just wrapping up the evaluation. Should be totally done with IT4 by the end of next week at 100/100 (my teacher is fantastic with the coursework for IT), leaving me ample time to properly get to grips with IT3 alone at home, the way it should be done! :biggrin:

How are you guys getting on with the coursework?
this post has mad organisation. If i got 168 UMS (A) last year and if i get full marks this year on CW what will i need in the exam for an A? Really cant work it out. THANKS
Reply 10
Original post by Oscar_Ross
this post has mad organisation. If i got 168 UMS (A) last year and if i get full marks this year on CW what will i need in the exam for an A? Really cant work it out. THANKS

168+90=258

320(A)-258= 62 ums
:smile:

AA923 was close, but there is a small error.

Full marks in the coursework would equal 80UMS, not 90.

Both years, there is a 60/40 spit for the coursework and exam such that for this year:

IT3 = 120UMS

IT4 = 80UMS

So given that you got 168UMS in the AS and that an A grade at A level is 80% of the total UMS available across both AS and A2 (0.8 x 400 = 320) then:

A grade UMS requirment - Your AS Level mark - Your IT4 mark (the full 80)
320 - 168 - 80 = 72 UMS.

This is bang on the amount of UMS which constitutes a C grade in IT3. The exam has 90 RAW marks on it (ie: the number of marks you see beside a question, added up) and while this does change a little bit year on year due to candidate performance, its reasonably safe to conclude the following:

You need between 58/90 - 63/90 in IT3 to get the A grade in A Level ICT.

So basically, you might as well try to hit 70/90 in your past papers at a minimum (always assume that Mr. Examiner is going to deduct marks for some very pernickety reason, as is always the case with IT exams.)

Hope this helps. I'd like to give you a tighter range, but with the grade boundary history we have available, this is the best I can really do. :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 12
oops sorry for the mistake !
Reply 13

Both years, there is a 60/40 spit for the coursework and exam such that for this year:

IT3 = 120UMS

IT4 = 80UMS

So given that you got 168UMS in the AS and that an A grade at A level is 80% of the total UMS available across both AS and A2 (0.8 x 400 = 320) then:

320 - 168 - 80 = 72 UMS.

This is bang on the amount of UMS which constitutes a C grade in IT3. The exam has 90 RAW marks on it (ie: the number of marks you see beside a question, added up) and while this does change a little bit year on year due to candidate performance, its reasonably safe to conclude the following:

So basically, you might as well try to hit 70/90 in your past papers at a minimum (always assume that Mr. Examiner is going to deduct marks for some very pernickety reason, as is always the case with IT exams.)

Hope this helps. I'd like to give you a tighter range, but with the grade boundary history we have available, this is the best I can really do. :biggrin:

Pedanticstudent - Can you create a docx with all exam questions from each topic as you seem to know quite a bit about this exam stuff pleaseee
One is in the works and is about 95% done

IT3 = 120UMS

IT4 = 80UMS

320 - 168 - 80 = 72 UMS.

wow thanks so much for detailed reply, will aim for about 70 then, can loose 20 marks thats not too bad!
Original post by AA923

All goood thanks either way!!
wow thanks so much for detailed reply, will aim for about 70 then, can loose 20 marks thats not too bad!

Original post by AA923

Original post by alevellife123
It will be fine dw, if you start revising ICT now it will be less pressure and if you do well in your coursework :smile: I would not stress about it:smile:

Hey guys.

I don't know whether you're interested, but back in October I put together a fake IT3 paper containing only questions for Databases (topic 6) and The Internet (topic 2) for my half term revision [these were the first two my school taught]

I'm aware of a couple of little typos but here is the link: https://jacktilson.net/dl/mocks/IT3OctoberMock.pdf

There's also a marking scheme for it: https://jacktilson.net/dl/mocks/IT3OctoberMockMS.pdf

I usually find it good to do one of these every two or three topics, it really helps (for me anyway) to remember the stuff.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 18
That's sick man !!! Also when you get done for questions for all the topics plz let us know !!
Original post by AA923
That's sick man !!! Also when you get done for questions for all the topics plz let us know !!

I will do mate, it shouldn't be too long, probably a day or so. No later than Sunday though

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending