The Student Room Group

Is there more pressure on guys to be successful?

There has long been a societal expectation that guys, who will usually end up becoming the man of the family, have pressure to deliver financially.
Modern liberal movements have largely failed to change social perceptions and the role of men in society.

In some cultures, particularly south and east asian culture, there is great pressure on boys to go to top unis. Whilst girls too experience similar pressure, they have marriage and finding a successful partner as a possible contingency plan. This sort of social behaviour has extended itself into the whole of society too. When you look at statistics you will see that girls do usually perform better at school with better GCSEs and A levels but this trend stops at uni and employment, where many women end up doing jobs in retail and end up underemployed.

Imo, I think that this is true. There is pressure on men to go to a top uni, get a good job and become financially stable in order to be seen as desirable and socially respected. Women don't necessarily need to fulfil this role hence having greater freedom than men when choosing their career.

(Note - Im really talking about the educated people, the type who aim for russell group from a young age as opposed to the entirety of society)
Reply 1
bumppp
Original post by punnyguy

Imo, I think that this is true. There is pressure on men to go to a top uni, get a good job and become financially stable in order to provide and make life easier for the women in their lives

Men are born into a culture of male servitude and female privilege. Go to third world countries and you will see the impact of this culture on underage boys who work the streets risking life and limb in torturous conditions in order to earn a living for the women in their lives who in almost all circumstances sit at home waiting for the money and food to roll in and should a boy/man fail to provide for women he is considered a failure and shamed by society.

Society needs us to be successful because society wants us to provide for it, to provide for women, to provide for children....we are nothing. We are just a disposable source for income who's entire purpose for existence is serving and empowering others at our expense. Just look at how society treats fathers when couples separate. It totally cuts fathers off from their children but forces them to provide financially for the wife and the kids almost as if that is our sole purpose for existence.....this is a reflection of how society views men. We are seen as sources for income. That is all we are to this sexist society that we live in.

Men need to talk more about these issues.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by CookieButter
Men are born into a culture of male servitude and female privilege. Go to third world countries and you will see the impact of this culture on underage boys who work the streets risking life and limb in torturous conditions in order to earn a living for the women in their lives who in almost all cases sit at home waiting for the money and food to roll in and should a boy/man fail to provide for women he is considered a failure and shamed by society.

Men need to talk more about these issues.

Never before have I seen a post on TSR claim that women have it easy in third world countries.

In fact, every anti-feminist guy I've seen on here uses the "woman have it far worse in the third world" as an excuse to diminish the purpose of feminism in the UK compared to the wider world.

This is a first.

You've also spectacularly missed the point of the thread. Reread.
There is a greater pressure on men to be successful, though I think the point is that women want that pressure too; they would rather not be expected to take up the easier life of keeping house or working mid-level rather than top-level jobs or only part-time or not being a leader or trailblazer, etc. These are all expectations they want to dissolve, which in turn will take the pressure off men. Having said that, I also agree that there has been no emphasis at all on the latter in liberal movements - particularly not by feminists. There has been little attention on the difficulties for men in dealing with this pressure while also having to repeatedly hear that they are 'privileged'. A good example is the recent rise of hikikomori (social isolation) in Japanese men as well as over here.
'Societal expectation' - how arbitrary.

Why would you not want to be financially stable and have a good job? Regardless of whether you are considered desirable or not, the alternatives aren't exactly appealing.

Any such 'pressure' should be self induced. You should aspire for financial security for yourself. Not for 'society'.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by punnyguy
There has long been a societal expectation that guys, who will usually end up becoming the man of the family, have pressure to deliver financially.
Modern liberal movements have largely failed to change social perceptions and the role of men in society.

In some cultures, particularly south and east asian culture, there is great pressure on boys to go to top unis. Whilst girls too experience similar pressure, they have marriage and finding a successful partner as a possible contingency plan. This sort of social behaviour has extended itself into the whole of society too. When you look at statistics you will see that girls do usually perform better at school with better GCSEs and A levels but this trend stops at uni and employment, where many women end up doing jobs in retail and end up underemployed.

Imo, I think that this is true. There is pressure on men to go to a top uni, get a good job and become financially stable in order to be seen as desirable and socially respected. Women don't necessarily need to fulfil this role hence having greater freedom than men when choosing their career.

(Note - Im really talking about the educated people, the type who aim for russell group from a young age as opposed to the entirety of society)

Yes so what?
Whats your point?
Is there more pressure on girls to get married and have kids?
Original post by Twinpeaks
Never before have I seen a post on TSR claim that women have it easy in third world countries.

In fact, every anti-feminist guy I've seen on here uses the "woman have it far worse in the third world" as an excuse to diminish the purpose of feminism in the UK compared to the wider world.

This is a first.

You've also spectacularly missed the point of the thread. Reread.

Keep on reading his threads and you will see the picture. He is consistent if nothing else.
Romantically there's definitely a bit more pressure there as I believe women care about the guy's career a lot more than guys tend to care about the career of their potential partner. Otherwise, not really, young people in general are under equal amounts of pressure in terms of a social perspective.
No, not in my view.
Never before have I seen a post on TSR claim that women have it easy in third world countries. In fact, every anti-feminist guy I've seen on here uses the "woman have it far worse in the third world" as an excuse to diminish the purpose of feminism in the UK compared to the wider world. This is a first. You've also spectacularly missed the point of the thread. Reread.

A lot of people on this forum and in this country have never been to third world countries…The majority of anti-feminists rely on the media for information on other parts of the world….as in, their sources for information about gender issues in third world countries are feminists.... They fail to realise this.

Feminists propagate falsehoods about gender issues in third world countries in the same way that they propagate falsehoods about gender issues in the developed world. I have been all over. I have lived in Asia, Africa and Europe. I speak about gender issues out of experience. I have seen female privilege and sexism against men in third world countries that make female privilege and misandry in this part of the world look as if they were nothing....sexism against men and female privilege are worldwide phenomena!!!
(edited 7 years ago)
A lot of people on this forum and in this country have never been to third world countries…The majority of anti-feminists rely on the media for information on other parts of the world….as in, their sources for information about gender issues in third world countries are feminists.... They fail to realise this.

Feminists propagate falsehoods about gender issues in third world countries in the same way that they propagate falsehoods about gender issues in the developed world. I have been all over. I have lived in Asia, Africa and Europe. I speak about gender issues out of experience. I have seen female privilege and sexism against men in third world countries that make female privilege and misandry in this part of the world look as if they were nothing....sexism against men and female privilege are worldwide phenomena!!!

Seen your thread and post history. You have psychological issues.

Original post by 999tigger
Keep on reading his threads and you will see the picture. He is consistent if nothing else.

Yeah soon after I glanced at his post history and saw enough!
Seen your thread and post history. You have psychological issues.

Yeah soon after I glanced at his post history and saw enough!

“When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.”
yes
because in relationships women care far more about the money of their partners than men do
so, as we are a society where relationships are "a thing", men are a higher incentive technically and generally speaking
“When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.”

:rofl:

Why are you quoting words of your own making? :rofl:

Like before, I didn't read your gibberish. The only thing I lost was my patience.
:rofl:

Why are you quoting words of your own making? :rofl:

Like before, I didn't read your gibberish. The only thing I lost was my patience.

I'm sorry words and sentences can be a little tedious. Here's a picture of a potato.

Haters_gonna_hate.jpg
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending