The Student Room Group

100,000 people turn up to Women's March on London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by SHallowvale
How is this relevant?

How is the fact that people who claim to support equal rights not supporting them consistently relevant on a thread about this
Original post by Chief Wiggum
But using your logic, surely she knows she might get pregnant before she has sex?

"Maybe they should think of that before getting their penis out. That is where they should exercise control. Why punish the child an instead behave like an adult and take responsibility. Most people know how babies are created when engaging in sex."

So using your logic, women should think before having sex? After all, women should know how babies are created.

You are jumping in midway, but yes she also has a responsibility.. The law as is means that a woman has a right to decide what to do with her own body and she cant have an abortion enforced upon her except in very limited circumstances. They will be taking responsibiliyu in raising it for the rest of its life.
Original post by joecphillips
How is the fact that people who claim to support equal rights not supporting them consistently relevant on a thread about this

Do you believe a woman has a right to choose abortion or should she be forced to carry it to term? Thats one of the things they are marching about.

Because even if you were to assume that is true (which I don't believe it is, but whatever) it wouldn't make any difference to what people are protesting about.

Even if fathers did want the same rights to abortions as women nothing could be done if abortions were difficult to have to begin with or were outright banned. I think the latter is what people are protesting about more so than the former.

What you're talking about is a separate issue.
Reply 44
Original post by 999tigger
Do you believe a woman has a right to choose abortion or should she be forced to carry it to term? Thats one of the things they are marching about.

Personally I don't think it should be allowed to end someone else's life without their consent (except in self defence and very rare circumstances) from stage 1 of life, I'm not daft enough to think that banning it would stop the practice so I don't call for it to be banned I just want people who claim to support equal rights and call abortion a right to give something similar to a man.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 45
Because even if you were to assume that is true (which I don't believe it is, but whatever) it wouldn't make any difference to what people are protesting about.

Even if fathers did want the same rights to abortions as women nothing could be done if abortions were difficult to have to begin with or were outright banned. I think the latter is what people are protesting about more so than the former.

What you're talking about is a separate issue.

If abortions were banned then men and women would have the same rights on the issue so what I am talking about would be a reality
If abortions were banned then men and women would have the same rights on the issue so what I am talking about would be a reality

Yes but you wouldn't want abortions banned would you?

Or would you?
Personally I don't think it should be allowed to end someone else's life without their consent (except in self defence and very rare circumstances) from stage 1 of life, I'm not daft enough to think that banning it would stop the practice so I don't call for it to be banned I just want people who claim to support equal rights and call abortion a right to give something similar to a man.

I assume what you mean is an abortion of responsibility and any parental rights or obligations.
Personally I don't think it should be allowed to end someone else's life without their consent (except in self defence and very rare circumstances) from stage 1 of life, I'm not daft enough to think that banning it would stop the practice so I don't call for it to be bann I just want people who claim to support equal rights and call abortion a right to give something similar to a man.

So you are pro life.
A man can have the same rights if he gets pregnant (or not in your case).

The whole point is when does a foetus have legal personality, from the moment of conception or later. I think a woman should have a right to choose what to do with her own body and thata foetus is just that until significantly developed, hence the cut off rule.

The march I understand is partly to protect womens right to have an abortion.
You are jumping in midway, but yes she also has a responsibility.. The law as is means that a woman has a right to decide what to do with her own body and she cant have an abortion enforced upon her except in very limited circumstances. They will be taking responsibiliyu in raising it for the rest of its life.

Well they won't be taking responsibility in raising it if they get an abortion...
Reply 50
Yes but you wouldn't want abortions banned would you?

Or would you?

Personally I would say I am prolife but I would not want abortions banned because that would just end with more trouble, I just think people who claim to want eqrights should be consistent and not campaign for a right that they already have and instead campaign for the 50% of the population who doesn't have that right.
The right for a man to abort responsibility sounds entirely fair. A woman is just as responsible for the pregnancy, but she can remove herself from the child during or after. Whereas a man has no options. He's paying child support for the next 18 years or will face a prison sentence. Where's his choice in the matter? Yeah, it's not 'his body' for those 9 months, but it's his wallet and his life too.

Regardless, despite being more-or-less pro-choice, I've never been entirely sold on the whole "my body, my choice" argument, because it's not just the mother's body involved.
Original post by Dandaman1
The right for a man to abort responsibility sounds entirely fair. A woman is just as responsible for the pregnancy, but she can remove herself from the child during or after. Whereas a man has no options. He's paying child support for the next 18 years or will face a prison sentence. Where's his choice in the matter? Yeah, it's not 'his body' for those 9 months, but it's his wallet and his life too.

Regardless, despite being more-or-less pro-choice, I've never been entirely sold on the whole "my body, my choice" argument, because it's not just the mother's body involved.

Indeed, "his money, his choice", surely...
What exactly are they trying to achieve by marching through the city protesting trump? Absolute waste of time.
As nice as the gesture may be, it won't change what Trump wants to do. If anything he'll thrive on it.

So the march was a waste of time.

Spoiler

Original post by Chief Wiggum
Well they won't be taking responsibility in raising it if they get an abortion...

Do you believe a woman has a right to abortion or do you think she should be made to carry the child to term? Are you pro life?
Reply 56
So you are pro life.
A man can have the same rights if he gets pregnant (or not in your case).

The whole point is when does a foetus have legal personality, from the moment of conception or later. I think a woman should have a right to choose what to do with her own body and thata foetus is just that until significantly developed, hence the cut off rule.

The march I understand is partly to protect womens right to have an abortion.

So it should not be said to be a equal rights march seeing as they are campaigning for a right 50% don't have.

So you are ok with killing human life, life begins at conception the question you are asking is when does it become a human.

You can just admit you don't believe in equal rights it's ok, a woman can decide to end her parental responsibility until 24 weeks but a father does not have that same right
Trump wants to put a temporary ban on Muslims entering the country, THE most sexist religion in the world, i'd say that's pretty pro women.
He's also anti abortion/pro life, so he wants to stop women from murdering babies, hmm... What a sexist.
Reply 58
Never said they didnt. he was talking about allowing a man to abrogate responsibility. the woman is naturally going to have this in most cases throughout the childs life when she raises it.
The man still has no legal say in whether the pregnancy continues and even if he doesn't he is legally obliged to pay child support. Not quite equal rights then.
[video="youtube;dtsklgeCw9A"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtsklgeCw9A[/video]

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending