The Student Room Group

Further Maths and maths students advice for future

Hey everyone,
I will be studying both Maths and Further Maths at A-level (provided I reach grade 8 at GCSE, hoping for a 9 though!)
Any tips for when I start to study both or what the courses are generally like?
Anything helpful is much appreciated!
Reply 1
A lot of people start learning the content in summer to get a head start.
Reply 2
Original post by Foxab77

Ok how would I find sources of this content to learn?
I'm decent at maths, but not by any means a maths 'genius'. I decided to take maths A-level because I couldn't think of anything else I wanted to do and I'm so glad I did. If you're like me and don't really like written subjects then further maths is a very good option. I've found it to be less challenging than other subjects because it feels more like 1.5 subjects rather than 2 as there is so much crossover between maths and further maths. I'm currently in A2 and am finding it relatively difficult but am coping fine, I got 2As last year without too much effort (as did 95% of my class) and some of them (including me) aren't really that bright. Also if you're doing a mathematical subject at uni its a great head start, and for fringe mathematical subjects (such as engineering and computer science) it is very attractive to universities.
Reply 4
Just don't leave anything till the end.
Original post by Foxab77

^Is this guy having a laugh?
That is a load of rubbish.
If anything they start 'learning' a few days before the exam.

Ignore my username. No joke this is the most laid back subject you can take.
Reformed Double Maths, have fun with that lol.

Your comment is probably referring to STEP...
Reply 6
Original post by harrycompsci
I'm decent at maths, but not by any means a maths 'genius'. I decided to take maths A-level because I couldn't think of anything else I wanted to do and I'm so glad I did. If you're like me and don't really like written subjects then further maths is a very good option. I've found it to be less challenging than other subjects because it feels more like 1.5 subjects rather than 2 as there is so much crossover between maths and further maths. I'm currently in A2 and am finding it relatively difficult but am coping fine, I got 2As last year without too much effort (as did 95% of my class) and some of them (including me) aren't really that bright. Also if you're doing a mathematical subject at uni its a great head start, and for fringe mathematical subjects (such as engineering and computer science) it is very attractive to universities.

Thanks for that info, I've applied for maths and Further maths and economics and computer science A-Levels at my sixth form, looking to do a Computer Science Degree later so just wanted some tips if you have any/ what's the course like?
Reply 7
Original post by Maths is Life
^Is this guy having a laugh?
That is a load of rubbish.
If anything they start 'learning' a few days before the exam.

Ignore my username. No joke this is the most laid back subject you can take.
Reformed Double Maths, have fun with that lol.

Your comment is probably referring to STEP...

Ok thank you, it's run as an after school 'club' at my sixth form so hopefully it will be fine!
Reply 8
Original post by Fadel
Just don't leave anything till the end.

Okie dokie
Original post by Rleggett12
Thanks for that info, I've applied for maths and Further maths and economics and computer science A-Levels at my sixth form, looking to do a Computer Science Degree later so just wanted some tips if you have any/ what's the course like?

I did the same as you apart from the economics and am going on to do compsci as well. Depending on what modules your doing it will be slightly different but I did: C1, C2, FP1, S1, M1, D1. C1 & C2 are relatively easy and sort of build off GCSE Further Maths if you did that, you just need t learn a few formulas. FP1 was also surprisingly ok just do a lot of past papers. S1, practice the probability stuff and get to grips withe the normal distribution (it'll save you if you do S2). M1, practice, practice, practice. D1, the only exam where everyone is rushed for time, learn the algorithms and learn to do them fast and accurately. All in all the hardest bits for AS are the optional modules (S, M and D) which is the opposite to A2 where I found the hardest modules to be C3, C4, FP2 and S2 and M2 were quite easy. In fact S2 was very easy. BY NO MEANS DO YOU NEED A "HEADSTART", that's total crap! Chill, and have a nice summer. AS is probably the easiest year of secondary school since year 8.
Original post by harrycompsci
I did the same as you apart from the economics and am going on to do compsci as well. Depending on what modules your doing it will be slightly different but I did: C1, C2, FP1, S1, M1, D1. C1 & C2 are relatively easy and sort of build off GCSE Further Maths if you did that, you just need t learn a few formulas. FP1 was also surprisingly ok just do a lot of past papers. S1, practice the probability stuff and get to grips withe the normal distribution (it'll save you if you do S2). M1, practice, practice, practice. D1, the only exam where everyone is rushed for time, learn the algorithms and learn to do them fast and accurately. All in all the hardest bits for AS are the optional modules (S, M and D) which is the opposite to A2 where I found the hardest modules to be C3, C4, FP2 and S2 and M2 were quite easy. In fact S2 was very easy. BY NO MEANS DO YOU NEED A "HEADSTART", that's total crap! Chill, and have a nice summer. AS is probably the easiest year of secondary school since year 8.

Cool! Thanks for so much helpful Info! My school doesn't do Further at GCSE but D looks quite easy especially linking with computer science (algorithms)
Cool! Thanks for so much helpful Info! My school doesn't do Further at GCSE but D looks quite easy especially linking with computer science (algorithms)

I thought i'd enjoy D1, but doing the exams has made me hate it. Mechancs and Statistics exams are way more relaxing.
Hey everyone,
I will be studying both Maths and Further Maths at A-level (provided I reach grade 8 at GCSE, hoping for a 9 though!)

My advice to you you if you want to start early is look at the Aqa Level 2 Further maths stuff, if you can get good with that then most of c1 will be a breeze and you will feel a little at ease with being just familiar with some of the content.
I did some c1 prep in the summer. It was definitely useful because then I was able to spend more time on S1 and M1 which were both quite new to me.
Hey everyone,

Next year the Maths and Further Maths syllabus will change :tongue:
There will no longer be any C1, C2, C3, C4, S1, S2, S3, S4, M1, M2, M3, M4, M5, FP1, FP2 or FP3.

The content is the same, but for example they combined Mechanics and Statistics together.
For Maths there will be 3 papers in total. Check the new syllabus.

Biggest tip for Maths and Further Maths is to practice using past papers.
By the way, as others said, you do not need a head start. Learning the material is no big deal, it is mainly the practicing part which is key. It would be nice to get a head start in summer, but not sure to what extent it helps you. I would say that if you are weak at Maths then it is advisable to do that, so that you can get a good start in the beginning of the academic year. However, if you are good in Maths, it won't be too difficult. :wink:
Thanks for all your help everyone!
Hey everyone,

It's a brand new specification so no-one knows what it's like yet.

The draft specifcations are on the exam board websites.
Original post by Muttley79
It's a brand new specification so no-one knows what it's like yet.

The draft specifcations are on the exam board websites.

Ok so if I look at those specifications, most of it willl be relevant but there might be changes? Am I right?
Ok so if I look at those specifications, most of it willl be relevant but there might be changes? Am I right?

If the documents say 'Draft' then there may be changes - probably minor.

The main difference is that everyone has do study mechanics and stats; decision is no longer part of A level maths.

Quick Reply

Latest