The Student Room Group

Biology, Chemistry, English Literature?

Hi
I was just wondering if anyone who has taken Biology, Chemistry and English Literature for a level would like to share their opinions on the workload, amount of reading etc. Was it easy to manage? I know English Literature is meant to be a big step up from GCSE and there's a lot of reading involved, in fact, all three have a lot of reading so...

Thanks! 🙂
Original post by aesthetix
Hi
I was just wondering if anyone who has taken Biology, Chemistry and English Literature for a level would like to share their opinions on the workload, amount of reading etc. Was it easy to manage? I know English Literature is meant to be a big step up from GCSE and there's a lot of reading involved, in fact, all three have a lot of reading so...

Thanks! 🙂

Hiya! Bio, Chem, Maths and Englit here.

I'm enjoying all my subjects at the moment, and I've found the step up not too bad - for me, it's mainly in the way I work, rather than the difficulty of it. A lot of it is how you spend your time and the methods you use - like becoming more of an efficirent learner. English is very different at A level to GCSE but soooo much more interesting. Your writing style and ability has to be of a much higher standard than previously, but teachers expect you to not be up to the mark for a good while, so it's okay. I still wouldnt call it easy, though - language is maybe easier, from what I've heard

:smile:
Reply 2
Original post by RachelSh-W
Hiya! Bio, Chem, Maths and Englit here.

I'm enjoying all my subjects at the moment, and I've found the step up not too bad - for me, it's mainly in the way I work, rather than the difficulty of it. A lot of it is how you spend your time and the methods you use - like becoming more of an efficirent learner. English is very different at A level to GCSE but soooo much more interesting. Your writing style and ability has to be of a much higher standard than previously, but teachers expect you to not be up to the mark for a good while, so it's okay. I still wouldnt call it easy, though - language is maybe easier, from what I've heard

:smile:

Thanks!
I really enjoy English so I think I'll be doing that tbh but I'm also considering Maths... Do you think that English gives you a sort of break from the sciences - like is it helpful to have something more language/arts based switch things up a little?
I've changed my options 6 times, but now I'm settled doing biology, English lit and psychology (I'm also doing core maths but it's worth a different qualification)
I'm really enjoying English lit, I love reading so that's a bonus, and I love being able to link the text to wider themes, and seeing how well they do link. I actually hated English at GCSE, and only changed to it just before Christmas. The only reason I picked it is because my other choice was business, and my English teacher was so enthusiastic about me joining (he's also my psychology teacher) whereas the business teacher wasn't. And I'm glad I did!
And biology, well, I often question why I picked it. I absolutely loved it at GCSE, and I got an A. But in all honesty, sometimes it can get on top of me. It's only when I come to revise that I remember why I picked it - it's really interesting and I do like it. I think my problem is that my teacher tends to go off topic, so I don't really know what I do and don't need to know.

I did drop chemistry about 3 weeks into 6th form, but at the time I was doing 4 subjects, so I just found it incredibly difficult. But my friend is really enjoying it, so it just depends on you as a person. As long as you're passionate about the subjects you're doing, you'll achieve the grades you want!
Original post by aesthetix
Thanks!
I really enjoy English so I think I'll be doing that tbh but I'm also considering Maths... Do you think that English gives you a sort of break from the sciences - like is it helpful to have something more language/arts based switch things up a little?

I find it really nice to have to think differently to my normal science stuff. The only annoying bit is that I'm the scientist of the class! Everyone else does essay based subjects, or more creative things, and so sometimes I can feel a little left out ahah. That and how when I do science essays or answers, I want to write to the same standard as I would in english when its just not possible or necessary to show the same flair!
Reply 5
Original post by chloecrazy
I've changed my options 6 times, but now I'm settled doing biology, English lit and psychology (I'm also doing core maths but it's worth a different qualification)
I'm really enjoying English lit, I love reading so that's a bonus, and I love being able to link the text to wider themes, and seeing how well they do link. I actually hated English at GCSE, and only changed to it just before Christmas. The only reason I picked it is because my other choice was business, and my English teacher was so enthusiastic about me joining (he's also my psychology teacher) whereas the business teacher wasn't. And I'm glad I did!
And biology, well, I often question why I picked it. I absolutely loved it at GCSE, and I got an A. But in all honesty, sometimes it can get on top of me. It's only when I come to revise that I remember why I picked it - it's really interesting and I do like it. I think my problem is that my teacher tends to go off topic, so I don't really know what I do and don't need to know.

I did drop chemistry about 3 weeks into 6th form, but at the time I was doing 4 subjects, so I just found it incredibly difficult. But my friend is really enjoying it, so it just depends on you as a person. As long as you're passionate about the subjects you're doing, you'll achieve the grades you want!

Thanks for your help 🙂
Yeah I agree with how English is so interesting like that, some people would say it's boring and useless, but I completely disagree!
Reply 6
Original post by RachelSh-W
I find it really nice to have to think differently to my normal science stuff. The only annoying bit is that I'm the scientist of the class! Everyone else does essay based subjects, or more creative things, and so sometimes I can feel a little left out ahah. That and how when I do science essays or answers, I want to write to the same standard as I would in english when its just not possible or necessary to show the same flair!

Yeah I think it would be nice to have different perspectives on things: a scientific one and a more literary one :smile:
Thanks again for your help - you've answered some questions I've had for a while!
I did Biology, Chemistry, English and History at AS, and I have to say that English has definitely been my most relaxing subject. It's good to get a break from the science; it's definitely a step up from GCSE but as long as you work hard and take the advice your teachers give you it'll get a lot easier
Reply 8
Original post by fishstar
I did Biology, Chemistry, English and History at AS, and I have to say that English has definitely been my most relaxing subject. It's good to get a break from the science; it's definitely a step up from GCSE but as long as you work hard and take the advice your teachers give you it'll get a lot easier

Ooh right thanks for your perspective - I'll take it into account!
Reply 9
Original post by fishstar

I've picked the same A levels to do in sixth from, but I'm worried that the workload might be too much, so I'm thinking of picking either history or english instead of both. What are your opinions on the subjects and which do you think is harder?
Original post by simi1509
I've picked the same A levels to do in sixth from, but I'm worried that the workload might be too much, so I'm thinking of picking either history or english instead of both. What are your opinions on the subjects and which do you think is harder?

I mean, it depends on how much you think you'll enjoy them. History, although I was reasonably good at it, was always kind of a drag for me because the topics weren't very interesting. It's the same for English I think - if the books are crap, you won't enjoy it as much. Think about what you enjoyed most at GCSE, is my recommendation. Doing 4 A levels is a hell of a workload but some unis have a 4th AS as an entry requirement, so if you only plan to do three from the get go, check that the unis you're considering don't require it. Tbh I've always been more of an English person, so I'm biased, but if you are more worried about workload, history is a lot more content heavy. I mean there's probably roughly around the same amount of content for English but there are less dates and English is more analysis focused, I've found. So yeah!! Really it depends on your future plans and the topics your school is doing and stuff. Let me know how you decide!
Hey!
Currently in Y13 doing Bio, Chem, English Lit, EPQ. I mean, i absolutely love my A Levels! Particularly, English because it gives you a break from the science subjects that are very content heavy. Not to say that English isn't. In fact, some of the work involves a lot of time and effort. Bio and Chem are very versatile subjects especially if you don't know what you want to do at uni. They can open many paths. Paired up with English literature, it really helped improve my communication, analytical and critical thinking skills. Honestly though, I've had a passion for English since Year 7 and the sciences come easily to me, especially because I love learning about difficult scientific concepts and making links between Bio/Chem which is what Medicine (hopefully my future career) is all about. But I really want to pursue an academic medical career and I think that English really drives that aspect forward.English involves a lot of reading around the books ie. at our school we do 'The Great Gatsby' and we have to widely read on criticism, American literature, Feminism, marxism, the american dream and so on. It's really interesting because English gives you a refreshing take on humans, as part of the society. You really develop empathy as well.
I'm in the second year doing Biology, Chemistry and Archaeology and can say that it's great to have a subject that gives you a break from the sciences.
i completely agree. IM LITERALLY DOING EXACTLY WHAT YOU'RE DOING.... WHAT UNIVERSITY DID U GO TO... WERE U ABLE TO DO MEDICINE... I NEED ADVICE BECAUSE I TOO WANT TO DO MEDICINE IN UNI.... AND HOW DID U PLAN UR PERSONAL STATEMENT... sorry for caps lollllllllllll
Reply 14
I’m doing biology chemistry, maths and psychology
Hi, chemistry student here!
It is certainly a difficult subject, I wont deny that. I’m fairly certain it’s considered one of the hardest. However it is good fun. You expand on GCSE knowledge and learn a few new topics too. I get homework each lesson, plus independent study to do during free periods. If you keep on top of everything and enjoy the subject, you should be fine. Bear in mind, that in GCSE I averaged 5 and 6 but managed somehow to finish with a 7. Grade wise I am probably lowest in my class but still

Quick Reply

Latest