The Student Room Group

BREXIT was based on Racism

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ILoveVoe
Now that May is banning the immigration the true meaning of BREXIT is revealed.

(1) Racism against the Muslim refugees and Syrians fleeing the war (BREXIT will not stop this? but the LEAVE voters think it will happen)

(2) Racisms against the Eastern Europeans etc. like people like me from Poland who benefit your economy. A Brit will not do a job as good as a Pole such as cleaning toilets, but apparently we takes the jobs.

LONDON is the best city in UK and most Londoners voted IN. They have had most immigrants in UK, Muslim, Poles, Russian. So what does that tell u about immigration?

London isn't the 'best' it's the capital of England. Plus isn't it racist to say that Poles are better at doing jobs than English people? Plus why do you think that people voted brexit because they were racist. Perhaps it was the fact that we were losing loads of money and gaining little?
Original post by knightchildish
Clearly i meant Residential real estate.

Your self superiority is somewhat humorous given that the only reason you think London is bad is because "crime".

There are many reasons I don't like London, I can't really be bothered to go into them. Too much effort for no gain.
Original post by Willy Pete
There are many reasons I don't like London, I can't really be bothered to go into them. Too much effort for no gain.

Fair enough. Enjoy the countryside.
Reply 83

LONDON is the best city in UK and most Londoners voted IN. They have had most immigrants in UK, Muslim, Poles, Russian. So what does that tell u about immigration?

London's population is mostly immigrant [when I say immigrant I mean non white english] ...so OFCOURSE London is going to be in favor of more immigration. Ethnics are gonna want more ethnics arn't they.

I used to live in London, I was born here but im not white english ...so am technically am immigrant and tbh, I agree that immigration in this country has got out of control, house prices have reached ridiculous levels and will go higher and higher and higher until demand is reduced. And realistically not enough houses are being built to keep up with the demand. Something needs to change, I think brexit was the right choice.

tbh I can see why some white english people are annoyed about all the different races coming here too. I mean, I wouldn't be exactly thrilled if I was born and bred and living in my parents home country and a bunch of foreigners came over and emigrated there to the extend that I was a minority in my own town/area ...and that's exactly what has happened in many places like London.
This is coming from a Londoner, Bristol is much nicer.
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
This is coming from a Londoner, Bristol is much nicer.

It depends what you mean by "nicer". There are parts of Bristol that are quite ordinary, just as there are parts of London that are quite ordinary. There are parts of London that are very nice indeed, just as there are parts of Bristol that are also nice.

I would certainly rate Bristol as being in the top ten UK cities (London, Oxford, Cambridge, Bath, Cheltenham, Edinburgh, Bristol, Canterbury, York... spot 10 undecided).

But it depends what you want / looking for. If you enjoy life in the fast lane, if you have a taste for cultural, intellectual and political pursuits, a love of architecture and history, an appreciation of great food and food innovations etc then London is without peer in the kingdom. But if you want a life that is at a more relaxed pace, that has a certain modicum of culture, history and intellectual options without being at the forefront of such things, then Bristol is quite good.

But overall, as a city with all that implies, London is indisputably the superior of the two.
Original post by AlexanderHam
It depends what you mean by "nicer". There are parts of Bristol that are quite ordinary, just as there are parts of London that are quite ordinary. There are parts of London that are very nice indeed, just as there are parts of Bristol that are also nice.

I would certainly rate Bristol as being in the top ten UK cities (London, Oxford, Cambridge, Bath, Cheltenham, Edinburgh, Bristol, Canterbury, York... spot 10 undecided).

But it depends what you want / looking for. If you enjoy life in the fast lane, if you have a taste for cultural, intellectual and political pursuits, a love of architecture and history, etc then London is without peer in the kingdom. But if you want a life that is at a more relaxed pace, that has a certain modicum of culture, history and intellectual options without being at the forefront of such things, then Bristol is quite good.

But overall, as a city with all that implies, London is indisputably the superior of the two.

Nah I just like Bristol more because it's so much more green than London.

And it's much cleaner.
Nah I just like Bristol more because it's so much more green than London.

Is it really? Have you measured it? There are parts of Bristol that are not very green (the blob around Cotham, Kingsdown, Clifton Down etc). London has a great many large parks all over the city, much larger than many comparable international cities. If I were to live in, say, Clapham or Wandsworth, Hampstead or Regent's Park, I don't think I'd feel as though I lacked for greenery.

Even in the irrepressibly 'urban' Walworth / Elephant and Castle, there are many parks and green spaces.

And it's much cleaner.

Do you mind if I ask how old you are? This perception of London as being not very clean seems like something someone would say in the 1990s.

I can certainly accept that different people want different things, and Bristol might suit your lifestyle more. But to claim it's much "nicer" than London seems unsustainable. London is not just one thing, and living in one area will be a completely different experience from living in another. Bristol is really more analogous to a single London borough. And I'd say there are certain London boroughs that are as clean and green as Bristol (to the extent it is.. tbh I walked from Temple Mead station to the university fairly recently and there's plenty of depressed, grey urban space to see)
(edited 7 years ago)
the amount of times ive heard out voters talk about polish people its so dumb

like fam you grew up in england got an education what are you worrying about surely you qualify more than them to get most jobs and the reason they end up taking "your" jobs is because they are willing to work for below minimum wages if necessary, and then unlike locals, they save up their money and start their own businesses after years of hard work for no money

but no youre right they "steal" our jobs by working hard for a salary that you refuse to accept
Original post by AlexanderHam
Is it really? Have you measured it? There are parts of Bristol that are not very green (the blob around Cotham, Kingsdown, Clifton Down etc. London has large parks all over the city, much larger than many comparable international cities. If I were to live in, say, Clapham or Wandsworth, Hampstead or Regent's Park, I don't think I'd feel as though I lacked for greenery.

Even in the irrepressibly 'urban' Walworth / Elephant and Castle, there are many parks and green spaces.

Do you mind if I ask how old you are? This perception of London as being not very clean seems like something someone would say in the 1990s.

I went to Bristol for the open day and it seemed way nicer than where in London I live.

I'm 18 and I obviously sound naive but mainly because I live in a deprived area of London and the only clean places I've come across is Chelsea/Kensington.
X

I added the following paragraph to my previous comment in an edit:

I can certainly accept that different people want different things, and Bristol might suit your lifestyle more. But to claim it's much "nicer" than London seems unsustainable. London is not just one thing, and living in one area will be a completely different experience from living in another. Bristol is really more analogous to a single London borough. And I'd say there are certain London boroughs that are as clean and green as Bristol (to the extent it is.. tbh I walked from Temple Mead station to the university fairly recently and there's plenty of depressed, grey urban space to see)

I went to Bristol for the open day and it seemed way nicer than where in London I live.

Fair enough. I think you've just seen the nice parts of it, but just like London it has less nice parts too.

I'm 18 and I obviously sound naive but mainly because I live in a deprived area of London and the only clean places I've come across is Chelsea/Kensington.

I live in Kennington but I regularly walk along Walworth Road and even around estates like the Aylesbury. It's not unclean; the council workers are pretty good about clearing away rubbish. It's much cleaner than other cities you go to in other countries.

Places in London like Clapham and Wandsworth really are quite lovely. Wandsworth Town, a small enclave within Wandsworth borough, is a delightful little village. In fact, London has been called "the city of a thousand villages" and it's true; London is very spread out, quite unlike very centralised cities like New York.

Check out this picture of the adorable little high street of Wandsworth Town (only 15 minutes from the centre of London.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.4599918,-0.1888183,3a,75y,48.29h,83.82t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sPILarHb_nILk8RwHndPcLQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Or Redcliffe Gardens (click the link see pic). See how delightful it is?

There are lovely parts of Bristol, and there are some bloody awful parts of Bristol, just as there are of London. Bristol is supposed to be a great place to go to university, I credit those reports. But as a place to live, if you want to be in the centre of the action, London is without compare.

Though with London's insane cost of living and property prices, I'd say you can probably live in a nicer part of Bristol at a reasonable price. Being a normal middle-class person and not a millionaire, you can actually afford to live in Bristol in a nice part of town which is becoming harder and harder in London for those of us who were not born heir to a dukedom
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by sfaraj
they end up taking "your" jobs is because they are willing to work for below minimum wages if necessary

And that, in your eyes, is a good thing?

and then unlike locals, they save up their money and start their own businesses after years of hard work for no money

Oh right. All Polish people start their own businesses. Yup, that's completely factual.

but no youre right they "steal" our jobs by working hard for a salary that you refuse to accept

It's true that native Britons are less inclined to accept backbreaking work at starvation wages. Normal people are generally disposed to think that an honest day's work should render an honest day's pay, and you should not be expected to work at a wage level on which you could not even support your family and buy a house. But for you, apparently, exploitation and willingness to accept it is now a sign of moral superiority.

Your priorities and moral compass seem skewed and confused, to say the least.
Now that May is banning the immigration the true meaning of BREXIT is revealed.

(1) Racism against the Muslim refugees and Syrians fleeing the war (BREXIT will not stop this? but the LEAVE voters think it will happen)

(2) Racisms against the Eastern Europeans etc. like people like me from Poland who benefit your economy. A Brit will not do a job as good as a Pole such as cleaning toilets, but apparently we takes the jobs.

Immigration wasn't the only issue that resulted in the vote to leave. Many people were fed up of the Brussels elite telling them how their lives should be run.

In what way is London the best city in the UK?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending