The Student Room Group

Should We Break Up?

Do we break up under the circumstances?

Been together 4 months. We were friends for a couple of years beforehand. We get on great and are compatible in a number of ways. He's kind, loving and treats me with respect.

We have fun together, however there is something missing. I don't think I'm deeply in love with him. I like him a lot. I feel safe and comfortable around him but I'm not entirely happy. I've always been aware it isn't quite right

I'm 22 and he's 30. He wants marriage and kids in a few years - I cannot give him that. I'm not ready for that.

I want to study abroad next year but he wants to settle down with someone, get a house etc. It seems we are in different life stages.

He has very little motivation. Always complaining about how his life isn't going in the right direction but does nothing to change it. I don't feel this element of his personality is very healthy for a long-term relationship. I'm naturally more motivated and optimistic than he is.

He's a genuinely good guy. I do not want to hurt him. I know he would be very hurt of we broke up right now. I'm going through some stress with uni and don't know if I'm thinking straight. Should I wait till the stress has subsided or should I consider ending it now?
Original post by AB25
I'm 22 and he's 30. He wants marriage and kids in a few years - I cannot give him that. I'm not ready for that.

I want to study abroad next year but he wants to settle down with someone, get a house etc. It seems we are in different life stages.

You can't give each other what you want out of life, break it off now rather than prolong the pain when you do, it's not fair to waste each others time this way.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending