The Student Room Group

I need an excuse/reason to go abroad (strict parents)

Please help.. I wanna go America with a friend but my parents will only allow me if I have a good enough reason (a 'holiday' wouldn't be good enough sadly). I'm in uni if that helps, could say it's study related.. maybe? So confused !
Will they be paying?
Studying a semester abroad maybe
Original post by Anonymous
Please help.. I wanna go America with a friend but my parents will only allow me if I have a good enough reason (a 'holiday' wouldn't be good enough sadly). I'm in uni if that helps, could say it's study related.. maybe? So confused !

Study abroad? Although summer programs in America tend to be super expensive, any particular reason you are fixed on America? What is your friend planning on doing - obviously if they're planning a mega road trip it would be a bit silly for you to tie yourself down to a summer study program in one location. You could see if your uni has a semester abroad thing, although again this probably wouldn't fit in well with your friend's plans if you are stuck on going with them.

Why is having a holiday not a good enough reason? You are presumably over 18 so can do what you want... You could explain to them that travelling abroad alone/ with a small group of friends is great for improving "independence", "confidence", "cultural awareness", "language skills", "inter-cultural communication skills", etc. - although tbh just going to America probably isn't so helpful with these...
Reply 4
I would go (if they are paying I'd find another excuse for the money) and then tell them that I'm there :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by CarysJSLewis
Will they be paying?

No they won't

Original post by saraxh
Studying a semester abroad maybe

Thought of that but I'm doing a healthcare course so not sure how believable that is :frown:
Reply 6
Original post by dragonkeeper999
Study abroad? Although summer programs in America tend to be super expensive, any particular reason you are fixed on America? What is your friend planning on doing - obviously if they're planning a mega road trip it would be a bit silly for you to tie yourself down to a summer study program in one location. You could see if your uni has a semester abroad thing, although again this probably wouldn't fit in well with your friend's plans if you are stuck on going with them.

Why is having a holiday not a good enough reason? You are presumably over 18 so can do what you want... You could explain to them that travelling abroad alone/ with a small group of friends is great for improving "independence", "confidence", "cultural awareness", "language skills", "inter-cultural communication skills", etc. - although tbh just going to America probably isn't so helpful with these...

We are going sightseeing and have been dreaming to go for a long time. My parents are just annoying when it comes to going away and want a full breakdown of everything.. I don't want to do a study program or anything out there though could pretend I'm going for that reason if I can make it believable enough.. ugh
No they won't

Thought of that but I'm doing a healthcare course so not sure how believable that is :frown:

Well, you're an adult, so they really can't stop you, seeing as you're paying... Not like they're going to jump on a plane and chase you there. It'd be a different story if they were funding it though, as they'd have every right to say no
We are going sightseeing and have been dreaming to go for a long time. My parents are just annoying when it comes to going away and want a full breakdown of everything.. I don't want to do a study program or anything out there though could pretend I'm going for that reason if I can make it believable enough.. ugh

I wouldn't recommend lying to them about your plans - they would probably want to check up on the study program anyway before you leave (e.g. see the website, check your offer letter, make sure you have accommodation - because parents always stress about these things) and even if they didn't, it might really damage your relationship with them if you pretend you're going away to study but then just go travelling.

They may see travelling and sightseeing as a waste of money/ time, but you may be able to change their mind if you explain to them the benefits of travelling (see my earlier post) and reassure them that you will be with your friend (so safer than travelling alone), have a budget and plan of what you'll be doing, are genuinely interested in the opportunity to visit the USA, etc. - i.e. you are a responsible adult who isn't just going to spend all their money shopping in New York then phoning your parents up to send you money for the flight home...

You're legally an adult anyway now, so technically can just do what you want, but you want to avoid alienating your parents just over some travelling...

Quick Reply

Latest