The Student Room Group

GRAFFITI - art or vandalism?

guys!
I would love to hear your opinions on whether you think GRAFFITI IS ART OR VANDALISM AND GIVE REASONS.
it's for my English group discussion and we have to gather peoples opinions on it.

what do you guys think about graffiti?

Scroll to see replies

it is just a sad way for talentless young people to express their dull personalities whilst risking a criminal record :h:
Eh I think it depends purely on the subject. Are we talking Banksy or male genitalia?
Don't like the vandalism aspect of it, but some of it can be tasteful. In areas that aren't really anything but dull unused buildings, a creative piece is quite nice, but not if it's some random scrawl that's supposed to be a name or a dick.
Reply 4
Original post by airportsh8me
Eh I think it depends purely on the subject. Are we talking Banksy or male genitalia?
just in general really. What you see normally, bit of both :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by CarysJSLewis
Don't like the vandalism aspect of it, but some of it can be tasteful. In areas that aren't really anything but dull unused buildings, a creative piece is quite nice, but not if it's some random scrawl that's supposed to be a name or a dick.
Thanks 🙏 and yeah! Haha
Reply 6
Original post by the bear
it is just a sad way for talentless young people to express their dull personalities whilst risking a criminal record :h:
yeahh aha i agree

Reply 7
Failed "artists" who think they're edgy by spraypainting things they saw in a movie but have no idea what it means.

100% vandalism, should be arrested.
Definitely vandalism.

You sound very judgemental. The tags ive seens recently have been incredible. Lighten up a bit.

Original post by Pikachū
Failed "artists" who think they're edgy by spraypainting things they saw in a movie but have no idea what it means.

100% vandalism, should be arrested.

There was a guy whose sister had been killed by a drunk driver, so he spray painted a gigantic mural of him and her hugging and crying because he couldnt do so again.

Graffiti is culture. It is artistic expression. From the ****ty scrawled tags to the aforementioned mural. People were "graffitiing" before the first century AD.

The amount of judgemental ****** who'll gush over a jackson pollock or picasso, when you can find just as much range and expression from alleys in every city.

Said it once and I'll say it again, people like you should lighten up. Live a little. Go and actually see murals and works. people like you would be surprised at how many people are actually commissioned for their work.
Original post by SonoLuma
You sound very judgemental. The tags ive seens recently have been incredible. Lighten up a bit.

There was a guy whose sister had been killed by a drunk driver, so he spray painted a gigantic mural of him and her hugging and crying because he couldnt do so again.

Graffiti is culture. It is artistic expression. From the sh**ty scrawled tags to the aforementioned mural. People were "graffitiing" before the first century AD.

The amount of judgemental pr**ks who'll gush over a jackson pollock or picasso, when you can find just as much range and expression from alleys in every city.

Said it once and I'll say it again, people like you should lighten the f**k up. Live a little. Go and actually see murals and works. people like you would be surprised at how many people are actually commissioned for their work.

There is nothing "judgemental" about wanting criminals to be arrested.
If it is not your wall and you haven't been given permission, it is vandalism.

I suppose it is possible to be both at the same time and the taxi above may fit into that category.
a jackson pollock or picasso, when you can find just as much range and expression from alleys in every city.

Yeah, except people look at Picassos paintings which have been drawn on a canvas he's paid for, not someone's wall that didn't want it there. Sure, do it if so eone pays you to or if you have been told you can, but doing otherwise is illegal, and is vandalism? How would you like it if someone smeared elephant **** over your front door? You'd hat wit wouldn't you, but why? After all, a painting with elephant **** sold for 2.3 million. It's fine to say, sure, let them vandalise people's property, though that quickly spchanges when it becomes your property. The law is there for a reason, don't ****ing complain. I bet you're one of those people that agrees with the squatters rights laws as well.
Original post by Pikachū
There is nothing "judgemental" about wanting criminals to be arrested.

Hah, Yes there is.

Which is why youre lumping people who have been PAID for graffiti, and those who sneak onto tracks to scrawl "dave wos ere" into the same group... criminals.

Both are graffiti, both are not "criminal acts." Its funny to see peoples opinions on stuff where it is clear they have no comprehension at how wide a range of culture there lies beyond their short sighted busybody eyes.
Hah, Yes there is.

Which is why youre lumping people who have been PAID for graffiti, and those who sneak onto tracks to scrawl "dave wos ere" into the same group... criminals.

Both are graffiti, both are not "criminal acts." Its funny to see peoples opinions on stuff where it is clear they have no comprehension at how wide a range of culture there lies beyond their short sighted busybody eyes.

Who said I'm talking about people who were paid? Where did OP say paid graffiti?
Lol the Chris Brown album was definitely vandalism to my ears
Thanks, it's not often that i genuinely get indignant on behalf of others work, but there are some murals and works on the side of walls that have literally taken my breath away, that no art gallery has ever done before nor since.

People who have lost their loves, people who have had their lives taken away, so much emotion and so much worth and culture, is reduced to "criminality" when curmudgeonly busybodies forget that life is about living.

(and the works I speak of are mostly commissioned, negating any argument people have about "criminality"... Its like people saying they dont like "hiphop" and then say they love bonobo lol)
Original post by Pikachū
Who said I'm talking about people who were paid? Where did OP say paid graffiti?

So now you are just splitting hairs.

And youve missed my point. Whether it is paid for or not, it is graffiti.

Criminality does not instantly negate all artistic merit.

Edit: just looked over my reply and I forgot to mention. The OP didnt need to say PAID graffiti, they asked if graffiti is art or vandalism and graffiti is a much more diverse and widely ranged medium than people think.

Just like my hiphop analogy, try saying to someone who is into hiphop that hiphop and rap are the same thing.
(edited 7 years ago)
So now you are just splitting hairs.

And youve missed my point. Whether it is paid for or not, it is graffiti.

Criminality does not instantly negate all artistic merit.

You are doing that. I don't see what you're failing to understand; if it's your own property or the owner of the property allows you to graffiti, then obv it's legal.

If it's not yours and you do not have permission from the owner then it is a crime and you should be arrested. Quite simple if I'm honest. Just because it looks nice doesn't mean it's not a crime lol.
Original post by Pikachū
You are doing that. I don't see what you're failing to understand; if it's your own property or the owner of the property allows you to graffiti, then obv it's legal.

If it's not yours and you do not have permission from the owner then it is a crime and you should be arrested. Quite simple if I'm honest. Just because it looks nice doesn't mean it's not a crime lol.

You again are missing my point. While basically telling me what I am trying to assert.

I hate saying or hearing this, but hopefully youll open your mind in future. I really cannot be bothered to reply again. You clearly have your blinkers on.

Ill highlight another sentence and link it into the reason for this thread "Criminality does not negate all artistic merit." the OP asked if graffiti was art or vandalism. I can see both sides, you clearly only see one.

Lighten the f**k up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending