The Student Room Group

GRAFFITI - art or vandalism?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SonoLuma
You again are missing my point. While basically telling me what I am trying to assert.

I hate saying or hearing this, but hopefully youll open your mind in future. I really cannot be bothered to reply again. You clearly have your blinkers on.

Ill highlight another sentence and link it into the reason for this thread "Criminality does not negate all artistic merit." the OP asked if graffiti was art or vandalism. I can see both sides, you clearly only see one.

Lighten the f**k up.

"Lighten up, just let people vandalise others' property because it looks nice" - This is the basis of your argument. I didn't say it negates artistic merit, it may well be a very nice painting but if it's not your property it's illegal and a crime.
Yeah, thanks! sorry I always forget to rep!! lol

God so true, the amount of idiots who dont know how wide and diverse the scenes are... Some started as criminals until the owner of a wall they had sprayed loved the work and let them complete it (so starting as a criminal, and through art they gained a place for their work)

Or some literally buy walls for themselves and spray, while constantly getting the police called on them. Others graffiti... over racist and violent imagery that a**holes have sprayed. Some barter wall space in exchange for community favours (such as repairing a gate or something)

People see in black and white all the damn time. Sometimes, there is a swathe of greys.

I get the feeling many people just want to be "right"
lol some people are so butthurt just coz other people have different opinions to them :rofl:

I hate graffiti anyways that's my opinion
Watch me get hate for it :rofl:
Original post by Anonymous
lol some people are so butthurt just coz other people have different opinions to them :rofl:

Watch out, failed artists are gonna get triggered :rofl:

"it's a nice painting so it shouldn't be a crime" :toofunny:

Must be why you posted anonymous.. Laugh away.
Original post by Pikachū
Watch out, failed artists are gonna get triggered :rofl:

"it's a nice painting so it shouldn't be a crime" :toofunny:

loooooool
Must be why you posted anonymous.. Laugh away.

Nothing wrong with people having different opinions to yours :smile:
Just accept instead of hating :h:
Well at least OP has some good discussion material now
Nothing wrong with people having different opinions to yours :smile:
Just accept instead of hating :h:

I can tell you are young. You seem to think I hate you simply for having a different opinion. Its about how you put your points across.

This is more a message to all who use the word "hater," but people dont hate you if you have the same opinions as other people. Dont be so sensitive.
I can tell you are young. You seem to think I hate you simply for having a different opinion. Its about how you put your points across.

This is more a message to all who use the word "hater," but people dont hate you if you have the same opinions as other people. Dont be so sensitive.

Me sensitive? Dude i wasn't the one getting defensive and swearing lol :smile:
Anyways enjoy the rest of ur night :smile:
Some street art is really tasteful. Others are awful ( like when you go through a train tunnel and there's just writing in graffiti style ).

If street art was planned properly, in terms of location and what was designed, I think it could be really great! It doesn't have to be the typical graffiti style art all the time either.
(edited 7 years ago)
And @SonoLuma

Honestly, I don't want to come across as judgmental but I am going to comment from a purely legal standpoint, adhering to the question in the OP - graffiti is vandalism if it is done on property with no permission. It matters not that it is artistic, it is the law. :dontknow:

I believe that is what the user was saying, legal acts will inevitably lead to legal consequences.

I do appreciate a bit of graffiti too, and I can see it from an artistic standpoint - some is very aesthetically appealing. But if we start to accept illegal acts purely on the basis that they are 'artistic', where do we draw the line? Art can be very subjective.
Vandalism. Can't they put it on paper rather than cheapening the look of a place? The best graffiti will always cheapen a place, nice work on the wrong canvas is the way I see it.
Well I guess it depends. If they don't have permission then its vandalism no matter how good it is.

If its not vandalism (so they have permission or its their land) then I guess its considered art depending on what it is. Is it just some scribbles or is it proper art work? It can be both as well, so both vandalism and art. But I don't think that should be allowed, damaging peoples property.

If its not damaging property or they are allowed then im fine with it. Just as long as it isn't some random scribbles. Some pieces of graffiti is actually quite good. Especially in areas which needs it, like tunnels.
But I guess most of the time it is vandalism, as people are doing it are commiting a crime. That shouldn't be allowed imo.
(edited 7 years ago)
Yes that is true - and that is when it is acceptable, not when artists emulate this type of work without seeking permission.

And it is even beneficial, it increases the value of property - such as in the case of Banksy. I remember reading about a piece of his that got painted over by a local council, only for them to rebut this by welcoming his future artwork when they realised how profitable it would be for them. :lol:

And actually, I think graffiti improves grey and dull urban areas, especially where there is brutalist-type architecture. It is very much a class expression thing in these instances and reminds us of humanity in these areas. That is where the art is, and I personally do think that councils should give permission to graffiti artists for their property in areas such as these.
Original post by Pikachū
You are doing that. I don't see what you're failing to understand; if it's your own property or the owner of the property allows you to graffiti, then obv it's legal.

If it's not yours and you do not have permission from the owner then it is a crime and you should be arrested. Quite simple if I'm honest. Just because it looks nice doesn't mean it's not a crime lol.

This. Just because it looks good doesn't mean you should do it (if its not allowed/ so no permission) Even though it may still be good/ art its still vandalism in this case. Its like saying (in a way) go and cheat on an exam, even though its wrong because you will get good grades.

If it is allowed then sure go and do it. Some of its quite good.
Original post by Kholmes1
This. Just because it looks good doesn't mean you should do it (if its not allowed/ so no permission) Even though it may still be good/ art its still vandalism in this case. Its like saying (in a way) go and cheat on an exam, even though its wrong because you will get good grades.

If it is allowed then sure go and do it. Some of its quite good.

Thank you. And to think "no one agrees with me" :frown:
Anonymous 1 is not me. If you're so inclined I can actually post anonymously and you can see for yourself :smile:
More of these street artists do have permission, either by the local council, or the property owner.

But you're right, the rare cases that people do street art or graffiti without permission shouldn't be allowed :no:

This I agree with. If they have permission then fair enough. Some of its quite good. I consider grafitti art most of the time. If its some scribbles or words (written normally) then no thats not art.

If they don't have permission then its vandalism. Even if it is art, its still vandalism. Also it depends on the location. If its in rough areas then I guess it might make that area better. If they do it in some posh area (and the graffiti doesn't really seem to fit) then I guess nnot.
(edited 2 years ago)
well first and foremost it's vandalism. If you spray paint on someone else's stuff you're vandalising it lol.

If you're graffitiing your own property though or have permission thats fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending