The Student Room Group

A levels to take to enter the medical field:

For my A-level options i plan on taking Biology and Chemistry. along with Critical Thinking, which would be my essay writing topic. I'm not sure whether I should take physics or maths, as i dislike maths. Any ideas about other A-level ideas to enter the medical field. What do you think of my current A-level selection and any improvements?
At least two from Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Physics. Ideally three, although two and another non-science is okay. Also, critical thinking/ general studies is not usually considered for admissions purposes (http://university.which.co.uk/advice/a-level-choices/what-do-universities-really-think-about-a-level-general-studies).

Finally, your extra-curriculars/ volunteering and work experience plays a big part in the admissions process.
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm Scottish so I do highers/advanced highers not A levels. However, I got 3 interviews for medicine before Christmas and I took English, maths, physics, chemistry and biology for highers and this year I'm doing chemistry biology and maths. I nearly took physics but I really enjoy maths. I don't think it matters much what subjects you take so long as you take bio and chem.
Reply 3
Original post by peach927
For my A-level options i plan on taking Biology and Chemistry. along with Critical Thinking, which would be my essay writing topic. I'm not sure whether I should take physics or maths, as i dislike maths. Any ideas about other A-level ideas to enter the medical field. What do you think of my current A-level selection and any improvements?

Heya, I'm also planning to take up medicine in 2018. I'm currently in year 12 taking Biology, Chemistry, Math and History. I will drop history next year so I can focus on getting good grades on the three subjects. Is say math is 'okay'. I love maths which is why I took it and I admit it's quite tough but with more practice anyone can improve :biggrin: but for other options, you may think of psychology? I chose between history or psychology but I chose history instead cause I liked it :smile: My friend who is taking psychology said it was interesting but it demands lots of work haha so for your fourth choice, do the subject you know you can do well on :biggrin:
Reply 4
Be VERY careful relying on critical thinking. I took it as an optional AS when they were a thing (only two years ago!) and only 4 medical schools that I looked at in research (St George's, Cardiff, Manchester and Nottingham) didn't specifically exclude it. Only OCR still offer it as far as I know - the government is keen to see the back of it as are unis.

Your best bet is take a third subject of your choosing - very few places will care what it is as long as you are predicted (and get) an A or A* depeninding on your offer in it come results day so don't be pressured into maths or physics. I took law and got an offer - just be prepared to explain why you choose that subject at interview.
Reply 5
Most universities don't accept Critical thinking
Reply 6
Original post by habeas.corpus
At least two from Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Physics. Ideally three, although two and another non-science is okay. Also, critical thinking/ general studies is not usually considered for admissions purposes (http://university.which.co.uk/advice/a-level-choices/what-do-universities-really-think-about-a-level-general-studies).

Finally, your extra-curriculars/ volunteering and work experience plays a big part in the admissions process.

Once you have predicted grades in your subjects (including chemistry, biology and other) this is THE most important thing. The trick is to sell what you have done to them not get loads though quality of learning over quantity all the way! If you can, do something like the AQA Bacc if you can because it provides a really good incentive to reflect on your experience and keep records which is incredibly valueable for PS and interviews! 🙂 If not - Google portfolio of enrichment and keep your own records. 😉
Reply 7
Original post by peach927

Do NOT take Critical Thinking it is completely useless

Quick Reply

Latest