The Student Room Group

work experience ideas for biology

Hi, im just wondering if anyone knows of any work experience I can do for biology/ biochemistry, I've thought of asking some universities if I can shadow someone or see some work that they do as a student, but im particularly interested in zoology and other than going to work at a zoo im not sure if there's any other things that I can do, thanks for the help 🙂
Original post by Beth Mitchell
Hi, im just wondering if anyone knows of any work experience I can do for biology/ biochemistry, I've thought of asking some universities if I can shadow someone or see some work that they do as a student, but im particularly interested in zoology and other than going to work at a zoo im not sure if there's any other things that I can do, thanks for the help 🙂

Are you required to get work experience as part of your sixth form? You don't need work experience to apply for an academic course like biology/biochem/zoology so if you can't find a relevant placement then it isn't going to harm your application.

For university experience then you would be best asking to do work experience with lab technicians (shadowing a student or an academic isn't likely to be possible but assisting with labs and equipment setup and maintenance is more likely). You could ask for similar experiences from any reasonably sized employers - a lot of food production companies and pharmaceutical companies will have labs that you could visit/shadow in. Zoology as a science doesn't have much to do with animal care - a placement at a zoo is likely to be difficult to get (you'll be competing against vet applicants and students) and less relevant to an academic course.

Quick Reply

Latest