The Student Room Group

Denmark bans child marriage after dozens of asylum seeking teens arrive with spouses

Edit: Sorry, wrong thread
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Surprised that the ban wasn't apparent beforehand.
Said this before and I'll say it again.

If she can't vote at election she can't take an erection.

Hats off to the Danes :h:

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
"except in exceptional cases"
Original post by Mathemagicien
I think the argument is that breaking marriages breaches some human right or other.

which kind of defeats the purpose of the statute surely?
if we make an exception for religious or cultural reasons, when is this statute ever going to be effective? even the *bible* justifies child marriage
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Said this before and I'll say it again.

If she can't vote at election she can't take an erection.

Hats off to the Danes :h:

Spoiler

Shouldnt that be the same for the UK then?
You can be legally married in all European countries before you can vote.
The age is 15 in Denmark.

Im surprise the law isnt being challenged as likely to be illegal. I can understand what they are trying to achieve.
surely Denmark is just refusing to acknowledge the cultural differences of the refugees.
Original post by 999tigger
Shouldnt that be the same for the UK then?
You can be legally married in all European countries before you can vote.
The age is 15 in Denmark.

Im surprise the law isnt being challenged as likely to be illegal. I can understand what they are trying to achieve.

That thing I just said came from some campaign to stop child marriage in Africa. Quite a nice quote imo :h:

15 is just too young. But as someone said, surprising they brought it in just now...
Reply 8
Good news.Hopefully more will follow.
Original post by Mathemagicien
I think the argument is that breaking marriages breaches some human right or other.

Not really, but if you acpet them as refugees, then they get equal rights. Obviously they are trying to prevent abuse of the asylum system, but imo it doesnt look as though they have done it in a legal way.
Original post by Yaboi
Didn't you say you lost your virginity at 16?

lmao

Yes and...? As said above, that was a slogan from a campaign to stop child marriages.
Original post by the bear
surely Denmark is just refusing to acknowledge the cultural differences of the refugees.

What a racist Bear you are.

It's not pedophilia or abuse if they are Muslim, its an expression of culture.

I jest of course, these people disgust me. But then so the Danes for allowing these people in. It's akin to inviting the local homeless person into your house.
Original post by the bear

Some cultural differences should be unacknowledged.
I don't understand - why was child marriage not already banned?
Original post by Palmyra

>The Danish government has approved a bill that will prohibit people under the age of 18 from getting married, after it was alleged that dozens of young refugees were entering the country with spouses or registered partners.

Based on this wording the implication was that it isn't, but my guess would be that the act of having a marriage was restricted much like it is here, but there were no laws for dealing with children who are entering the country married because it's not an issue they've generally have had to deal with in the past.
Original post by Palmyra

What are you talking about? Have you read the article?
Original post by l'etranger
>The Danish government has approved a bill that will prohibit people under the age of 18 from getting married, after it was alleged that dozens of young refugees were entering the country with spouses or registered partners.

Based on this wording the implication was that it isn't, but my guess would be that the act of having a marriage was restricted much like it is here, but there were no laws for dealing with children who are entering the country married because it's not an issue they've generally have had to deal with in the past.

"from getting married" implies they are not already married, no?

Surely the logical corollary of child marriage not being legal in X country is that child marriages (wherever they were conducted) are not recognised as legal in X country?
Original post by Palmyra

I agree, but the Independent newspaper probably isn't quoting the exact piece of Danish legislation pertaining to marriage. If you've come to Denmark as a Syrian Muslim, I highly doubt it would be legal to get married outside their laws.

Original post by Palmyra
Surely the logical corollary of child marriage not being legal in X country is that child marriages (wherever they were conducted) are not recognised as legal in X country?

I don't know since their legal system may not be based on interpretation by their judges, according to Wiki you can apparently marry at age 15 provided you have permission from the King (I would assume a court). Equally maybe their judges had to make the decision as to how to interpret the law and this had never come up in the past.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Palmyra

Doesnt quite work like that. If you read the article they are concerned as to whether the marriage isnt just with someone younger, but whether it is a sham and simply aimed to defeat the asylum process. The younger they are and the larger the age fap, then the more suspicious they are.

The way international law works is that they need to respect the laws of other countries, although there are limits to this. The Danish legislation has atempted to address this issue with its compelling reasons argyment, but theres a good chance it is illegal discrimination anyway, especially where the female is equal to or above the min age someone can legally get married in Denmark.
Original post by 999tigger

The way international law works is that they need to respect the laws of other countries, although there are limits to this.
Prior to the U.S. Supreme Court ruling on same sex marriage, same sex marriages conducted in some states weren't even recognised in other U.S. states - so what makes you think other countries are somehow bound by international law in such a way?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending