The Student Room Group

What fundamental woman's rights is Trump threatening?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hasselnot
When was the last time you looked? That Pakistani girl Malala something received the Nobel prize for her fight for women in the Islamic world. The reason there is just little noise coming from feminists in the Islamic world could perhaps be explained by the fact that people are still fighting for their HUMAN rights. And also The Womens March did have protest in the Islamic world as well.

A couple of points:

1.The thread is about Western feminists, not the few feminists in the Islamic world brave enough to protest the misogynist cult of Islam.

2. And also The Womens March did have protest in the Islamic world as well.

When and where please.

FYI comparing the blue haired land whales that pass as feminists in the West with Malala is surreal at best.
Original post by לזייןהאיסלאם
Yeh and he used to be pro-choice.
The problem is that nobody really knows his plans now he is in office, but it certainly looks like he is very much anti-abortion. This is why the women's rights protests were justified as sending out a marker to Trump that if he tries to carry out some of his more dangerous ideas there will be strong opposition.

I don't really think he cares that much, he's just trying to please his republican supporters.

He definitely seems in favour of the Supreme Court overturning Roe v Wade, and it doesn't matter whether he is appeasing Republicans or not if he appoints a terrible justice to the SC who would pursue such policies.

Which is bad... but I generally feel like people see Trump as the worst possible candidate for women, when previous republican presidents, and his contemporary party members, are generally far worse.

Trump clearly isn't as bad as some of the Christian Taliban in the GOP, such as Ted Cruz, but he is still bad, and he is the one who is President hence he is the one to whom people are directing their anger/message.

However, he's only the President - Republicans control the Senate and the House (and the SC when Trump appoints a Conservative justice), so the fear is that these institutions will have much more leeway and power to hurt women's rights. This is where I seem to agree with you that their message should be to the Republican Party as a whole, and not just Trump. But Trump is the pack leader and has shown that he makes everyone around him submit to his will, so if he says abortion shouldn't be left to the states, then it won't be, but if he says it should, then it will be.
(edited 7 years ago)
Well, people consider freedom from sexual assault to be a fundamental human right so unsurprisingly people take issue with his disgustingly lewd sexual comments which suggest he has been a perpetrator. People consider control over your own body to be a fundamental human right and therefore many women believe their ability to access an abortion is a right so women will take issue with his clear opposition to women's rights in relation to this. People consider the right of individuals to freely express their identity and live according to that identity to be fundamental so I'm sure the Trans community take issue with Trump's opposition to trans-women using female bathrooms.

Generally it is a fundamental right for women to be treated with equality. Donald Trump has made numerous sexist/misogynistic comments which the public are aware of that would suggest he doesn't comprehend this simple fact and therefore he is a threat to women's rights.

Btw these protests were not only in opposition to Trump but were also for the general sake of women's rights and to raise awareness of women's issues and movements. Not every placard would have been in relation to Trump's presidency.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by joe cooley

2. And also The Womens March did have protest in the Islamic world as well.

Spoiler

Original post by knightchildish
He is not free to make misogynistic and degrading comments about women. Not when he wants to be President. It's also incredibly disrespectful to women who are victims of rape because his actions make women who have been raped less likely to come out.

And whether you think he is allowed to make these comments or not, there is still a clear basis for why these women are out protesting.

Do you want to point out which part of the constitution or which law means he is not free to make such comments, the oath he took on Friday suggests otherwise.
Reply 45
I don't see how anyone can have a problem with a peaceful protest (no one was arrested). I have a feeling if it hadn't been so successful then we wouldn't have any salty posters in here. People are not happy with what Trump/Pence have said they will do and it's their right to protest that or are people supposed to wait until the damage has been done before protesting?

Also don't see how protesting things that are happening in your country and will have a direct influence on you makes you a hypocrite just because you're not protesting all the other bad things in the world. Ridiculous.
Reply 46
I know right, they don't protest about the way Saudi Arabia or Bali treat women, but they protest against Donald Trump.
Original post by RedManc
I know right, they don't protest about the way Saudi Arabia or Bali treat women, but they protest against Donald Trump.

It's not actually about the true oppression of women in places like the middle east, it's more about the liberal agenda. God forbid you offend muslims!
Original post by NeeceLondon
Well, people consider freedom from sexual assault to be a fundamental human right so unsurprisingly people take issue with his disgustingly lewd sexual comments which suggest he has been a perpetrator. People consider control over your own body to be a fundamental human right and therefore many women believe their ability to access an abortion is a right so women will take issue with his clear opposition to women's rights in relation to this. People consider the right of individuals to freely express their identity and live according to that identity to be fundamental so I'm sure the Trans community take issue with Trump's opposition to trans-women using female bathrooms.

Generally it is a fundamental right for women to be treated with equality. Donald Trump has made numerous sexist/misogynistic comments which the public are aware of that would suggest he doesn't comprehend this simple fact and therefore he is a threat to women's rights.

Btw these protests were not only in opposition to Trump but were also for the general sake of women's rights and to raise awareness of women's issues and movements. Not every placard would have been in relation to Trump's presidency.

Lets keep it simple.

Would you tell me what rights US males enjoy that are denied to US females.

Thank you.
Original post by Jammy Duel
Do you want to point out which part of the constitution or which law means he is not free to make such comments, the oath he took on Friday suggests otherwise.

People like you who condone misogyny is all the more reason for women to protest
People like you who condone misogyny is all the more reason for women to protest

Cool story, I'll guess that means that there is no law against it. And quite frankly I'm more in favour of protesting against real injustices against women rather than trying to make excuses for failure. When were the protests against Clinton? How about massive protests against severe misogyny in the Arab world? Africa? Nope, instead they're too busy protesting somebody they don't like getting into the white house.
Original post by joe cooley
Lets keep it simple.

Would you tell me what rights US males enjoy that are denied to US females.

Thank you.

Sorry no, do your own research, I'm not google.

What you have asked is irrelevant because the thread is not concerned with which fundamental rights women are denied in the US as a whole, but specifically, which fundamental women's rights Trump threatens to such an extent that the public have protested. I have given a few suggestions from what I have observed.
Cool story, I'll guess that means that there is no law against it. And quite frankly I'm more in favour of protesting against real injustices against women rather than trying to make excuses for failure. When were the protests against Clinton? How about massive protests against severe misogyny in the Arab world? Africa? Nope, instead they're too busy protesting somebody they don't like getting into the white house.

You may be more in favour but that is irrelevant. Point is that there is still a basis for protesting.

And would a protest against saudi arabia do? Nothing. It's futile. There has already been some recognition of these protest, go read the news.
You may be more in favour but that is irrelevant. Point is that there is still a basis for protesting.

And would a protest against saudi arabia do? Nothing. It's futile. There has already been some recognition of these protest, go read the news.

And the protests yesterday were useless and futile, what exactly are they achieving?

Oh, and do you know when else people have said "don't bother, it's futile"?
Look If everything that I have said was recorded and played to everyone I know I have some some really bad stuff, pretty much everyone has, We should judge On what a person does and not always what he says (Within reason) I have said racist jokes sexist jokes If it is a ism or a phobia I have probably made a joke about it, but I would never condone most of the things I have said.

Not saying it is right but looking at it from a logical prespective
Original post by AperfectBalance
Look If everything that I have said was recorded and played to everyone I know I have some some really bad stuff, pretty much everyone has, We should judge On what a person does and not always what he says (Within reason) I have said racist jokes sexist jokes If it is a ism or a phobia I have probably made a joke about it, but I would never condone most of the things I have said.

Not saying it is right but looking at it from a logical prespective

I agree with your post/perspective,
But I think this march is more of a way to let Trump know (well actually the fundie Christian Republican Party but since Trump is the figurehead they're targeting him instead as palmyra said) that if certain things that affect the rights of women/minorities (i.e. Overturning Roe v Wade, *possibly* overturning gay marriage etc) happen it won't fly with them.

Plus there are other legitimate concerns to be had about a majority conservative congress/SC. Things like creationism being mandatory in schools could be brought back/implemented.

I suppose it's just them letting their voices be heard tbh.
It wasn't a violent protest so I don't really see what the problem is/why it's triggering some people.
All of them.
The right not to be grabbed by the pussy, I would imagine.
And the protests yesterday were useless and futile, what exactly are they achieving?

Oh, and do you know when else people have said "don't bother, it's futile"?

The protests yesterday were taking a stance on the views Trump has voiced in the past against women. It was a warning by women that such misoygnist views will not be tolerated, just because a man like himself is in charge. So, how were they useless?
Original post by _Charlotte15
All of them.

He's going to get rid of all legal protections and entitlements for women?

Original post by cranbrook_aspie
The right not to be grabbed by the pussy, I would imagine.

He's going to repeal laws against sexual assault?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending