The Student Room Group

Properties of ionic compounds

In my revision guide there's a question that says: samples of sodium chloride and magnesium oxide are both heated to 1080 degrees. State and explain how the properties will or will not change at this temperature compared to room temperature? Also in the book it says that sodium chloride has 801 degrees for its melting point and 1413 degrees for its boiling point Also for magnesium oxide it says it's melting point is 2852 degrees and 3600 degrees for its Boiling point. Please give a simple reason btw it is a GCSE book
Reply 1
Original post by Yusuf.3
In my revision guide there's a question that says: samples of sodium chloride and magnesium oxide are both heated to 1080 degrees. State and explain how the properties will or will not change at this temperature compared to room temperature? Also in the book it says that sodium chloride has 801 degrees for its melting point and 1413 degrees for its boiling point Also for magnesium oxide it says it's melting point is 2852 degrees and 3600 degrees for its Boiling point. Please give a simple reason btw it is a GCSE book

The only thing I oculd think of is Sodium Chloride will be able to carry an electric charge as it is molten? Magnesium Oxide won't because in a solid state they cannot conduct electricity, only when dissolved in water or molten.

If it's in the revision guide, the answer should be easy to find though?

Quick Reply

Latest