The Student Room Group

Uni accommodation help

Hiya
I wasn't sure which topic to post this under!

I've applied for ocean science/oceanography/marine geography at a few universities.

I was wondering how common it is for first years to go in private shared accommodation.
My student loan seems to barely cover the cost of the cheapest student halls, let alone cover food expenses etc. , so it looks like private accommodation is the only option, as it appears to be cheaper, and bigger! Even if I were to get a part time job whilst studying at uni (which I think I will have to anyway), I still don't think it would work financially whilst staying in the halls.

So are there many people that stay in private accommodation, and would you get put into housing with all first years? Would I miss out on much by being in private accommodation?

Also, when are we meant to apply for accommodation? Is it soon, or after results day?
Thanks!
Original post by Ehunt
Hiya

I've applied for ocean science/oceanography/marine geography at a few universities.

I was wondering how common it is for first years to go in private shared accommodation.
My student loan seems to barely cover the cost of the cheapest student halls, let alone cover food expenses etc. , so it looks like private accommodation is the only option, as it appears to be cheaper, and bigger! Even if I were to get a part time job whilst studying at uni (which I think I will have to anyway), I still don't think it would work financially whilst staying in the halls.

So are there many people that stay in private accommodation, and would you get put into housing with all first years? Would I miss out on much by being in private accommodation?

Also, when are we meant to apply for accommodation? Is it soon, or after results day?
Thanks!

To address some of your questions: are you sure your private accommodation is cheaper, or does the private only include rent?

You said you'll have a part time job which is good, maybe some summer job if possible would help you save. And budgeting food etc!

Applying for accommodation, well for uni accommodation it can be around AprilMay or vary by uni. For private I guess it would be after you're sure you're going which would be after results day but I'm not sure on hat one.
Reply 2
Original post by SeanFM
To address some of your questions: are you sure your private accommodation is cheaper, or does the private only include rent?

You said you'll have a part time job which is good, maybe some summer job if possible would help you save. And budgeting food etc!

Applying for accommodation, well for uni accommodation it can be around AprilMay or vary by uni. For private I guess it would be after you're sure you're going which would be after results day but I'm not sure on hat one.

Yes, at the university that it seems more likely that I will go to, the student halls tend to be around £125 per week, most are more expensive, one place is slightly cheaper, but not by much. The private accommodation tends to be around £80/90 per week, including all bills. Some are cheaper and some more expensive but that's the average. And the private accommodation looks a lot bigger.
So my maintenance loan can cover the private accommodation with a bit to spare for food, books, evenings etc , but will literally just cover the student halls, with nothing to spare. And that's only if I go for the cheapest one, which you can't guarantee you will get.

Hoping to get more hours working in the summer to help me save, but struggling to see where such a large sum of money will come from.

Thanks for your response :smile:.
Original post by Ehunt
Hiya

Thanks!

Hello,

It's quite common for first years to live in private accommodation or even shared housing. Sometimes universities cannot accommodate for everyone wanting to live in halls (and like you've said, loads can't afford it) so there is a lot of people that live elsewhere. It is common - especially with it being financial wise.

Halls is an experience and a fun time - you'd miss out a little on the experience but private accommodation can still be fun and often more social as there is a wider range of different years and different courses.

You can apply for accommodation as soon as possible I believe!
Reply 4
Original post by JustGeorgeJ
Hello,

It's quite common for first years to live in private accommodation or even shared housing. Sometimes universities cannot accommodate for everyone wanting to live in halls (and like you've said, loads can't afford it) so there is a lot of people that live elsewhere. It is common - especially with it being financial wise.

Halls is an experience and a fun time - you'd miss out a little on the experience but private accommodation can still be fun and often more social as there is a wider range of different years and different courses.

You can apply for accommodation as soon as possible I believe!

Thank you!
I lived in private halls first year. It was a bit harder to make friends but really not that bad, it was quieter than the campus halls and cheaper/bigger. You just have to put yourself out there more in terms of friends, invite people you barely know to do stuff, ask who is going out tonight and invite yourself along, join societies etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending