The Student Room Group

Have signed a banking contract, should I interview elsewhere at a referree?

So I'm in my third year of a four year course and signed a summer internship contract with Investment Bank A after completing their Spring Week. I then got networking with Investment Bank B, liked them, interviewed and signed a summer contract with them.

So I reneged on A. But they came back and said I could go and interview for their grad programme instead. Meaning I can get out of uni sooner, as I'm getting a bit bored. The thing is; I told B about my Spring Week with A, and it has become apparent they will definitely seek a reference from A.

I want to see what A is like, and go to their interview this month. What worries me is whether A can tell B when they ask for the reference 'oh yeah, this guy interviewed in January' B will then see this as dishonesty: interviewing elsewhere after having signed a contract, and then have me fail the background checks so I end with neither A or B!

I was wondering whether I am being crazy? I want to know whether this kind of information is protected under DPA laws/ etc, or whether it can actually come up when giving a reference. Also can A be told what kind of role B is asking about in the referencing check?

Like I said, I want to see what A is like, but only if I can be sure B can't **** me over in the background check.

Thanks for your help!
Reply 1
Some inception level recruitment strats going on here! :tongue:

You're worrying unnecessarily. The people looking after recruitment won't be the same people who provide the generic HR references.
Original post by M1011
Some inception level recruitment strats going on here! :tongue:

You're worrying unnecessarily. The people looking after recruitment won't be the same people who provide the generic HR references.

It's crazy, right? :tongue:
Thanks, that's a good point! I'm just worried that maybe some idiot might reveal interview dates, but the more I think about it, that is surely considered confidential information! I'm not even sure A could even know what role B is background screening me for.
Reply 3
Original post by bankingthrowaway
It's crazy, right? :tongue:
Thanks, that's a good point! I'm just worried that maybe some idiot might reveal interview dates, but the more I think about it, that is surely considered confidential information! I'm not even sure A could even know what role B is background screening me for.

Even if they new you were interviewing elsewhere etc, so what? That's normal, any candidate is going to look around.
This is a good problem to have if you ask me, you are finding it difficult to CHOOSE which bank to go to. CHOOSE being the key word.

Original post by bankingthrowaway
So I'm in my third year of a four year course and signed a summer internship contract with Investment Bank A after completing their Spring Week. I then got networking with Investment Bank B, liked them, interviewed and signed a summer contract with them.

So I reneged on A. But they came back and said I could go and interview for their grad programme instead. Meaning I can get out of uni sooner, as I'm getting a bit bored. The thing is; I told B about my Spring Week with A, and it has become apparent they will definitely seek a reference from A.

I want to see what A is like, and go to their interview this month. What worries me is whether A can tell B when they ask for the reference 'oh yeah, this guy interviewed in January' B will then see this as dishonesty: interviewing elsewhere after having signed a contract, and then have me fail the background checks so I end with neither A or B!

I was wondering whether I am being crazy? I want to know whether this kind of information is protected under DPA laws/ etc, or whether it can actually come up when giving a reference. Also can A be told what kind of role B is asking about in the referencing check?

Like I said, I want to see what A is like, but only if I can be sure B can't **** me over in the background check.

Thanks for your help!

Flip a coin, if you are relieved about the result, keep it, if not choose the other one. Get me a contract as a favour LOL,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending