The Student Room Group
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website

East 15 acting and stage combat

Hi everyone
So i have applied at east 15 acting school for acting and stage combat. I just wanted to know if anyone who currently goes there or is studying the course could give me insight into the course and school. I have never auditioned for anything before so I'm kinda scared. Also if anyone could let me know what the audition process is like and the physical assessment. I have already picked my two monologues and started to rehearse them but I'm really scared. If anyone could give me any advice or information about the school, the course or the audition process I'd really appreciate it. My audition is on the 23rd Feb.
Thank you
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Jaynie_29
Hi everyone
So i have applied at east 15 acting school for acting and stage combat. I

Have you applied to any other Drama Schools? When's your audition, do you know? Good luck !
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by markova21
Have you applied to any other Drama Schools? When's your audition, do you know? Good luck !

My audition is on 23rd Feb and i'm so scared. Never had a audition before. I honestly have no clue what to expect
My audition is on 23rd Feb and i'm so scared. Never had a audition before. I honestly have no clue what to expect

Just relax and keep calm. Have you got your audition pieces prepared?
Reply 4
Just relax and keep calm. Have you got your audition pieces prepared?

Yep I have two pieces sorted. I just need some advice on the audition process/physical assessment. Do you go to eat 15?
Yep I have two pieces sorted. I just need some advice on the audition process/physical assessment. Do you go to eat 15?

No, I trained in classical ballet for eight and a half years and then became a professional dancer at the Moulin Rouge in Paris, among other places. But I took acting lessons [and singing] for a year at Manchester School of Music once a week. Have you had any training in acting so far?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
No, I trained in classical ballet for eight and a half years and then became a professional dancer at the Moulin Rouge in Paris, among other places. But I took acting lessons [and singing] for a year at Manchester School of Music once a week. Have you had any training in acting so far?

Wow, thats amazing, are you enjoying it? No private training just in school, have done up to A level theatre studies
Wow, thats amazing, are you enjoying it? No private training just in school, have done up to A level theatre studies

I was a dancer 30 years ago, LOL. I'm now 49 years old [old fart] !! That's me in my avatar, when I was working in Japan. Don't know if you have the time, or if you can afford it, but to give you an edge, it might be a good idea if you are able to, to go to a Speech and Drama teacher for two or three sessions, who will be able to see your pieces and give some constructive criticism. Hope you don't mind me suggesting this. It's that I know any half decent drama teacher will give audition techniques too. You simply don't get that level of detail doing drama at school, i'm afraid. EDIT TO ADD. If any drama teacher then says your monologues are already perfect then you won't really have wasted any money, as it will indicate / give you a high hope of being accepted.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
I was a dancer 30 years ago, LOL. I'm now 49 years old [old fart] !! That's me in my avatar, when I was working in Japan. Don't know if you have the time, or if you can afford it, but to give you an edge, it might be a good idea if you are able to, to go to a Speech and Drama teacher for two or three sessions, who will be able to see your pieces and give some constructive criticism. Hope you don't mind me suggesting this. It's that I know any half decent drama teacher will give audition techniques too. You simply don't get that level of detail doing drama at school, i'm afraid. EDIT TO ADD. If any drama teacher then says your monologues are already perfect then you won't really have wasted any money, as it will indicate / give you a high hope of being accepted.

oh wow, thats still pretty cool though. but yh no no thank you for the advice. I have two drama teachers I'm currently working who are amazing. One of them auditioned at east 15 when they were younger which gave me some insite. I won't really be able to go and have any suggestions but thanks for the advice. One thing I didn't want to do was choose pieces that are stereo typically done in auditioned so I have picked some very different pieces. Both my drama teachers are really good and literally tell me if my work is **** and give great constructive criticism, one of them works with me a couple hours a week so i think I'm all good on that part. More just nervous about this specific audition and what will happen in it
oh wow, thats still pretty cool though. but yh no no thank you for the advice. I have two drama teachers I'm currently working who are amazing. One of them auditioned at east 15 when they were younger which gave me some insite. I won't really be able to go and have any suggestions but thanks for the advice. One thing I didn't want to do was choose pieces that are stereo typically done in auditioned so I have picked some very different pieces. Both my drama teachers are really good and literally tell me if my work is **** and give great constructive criticism, one of them works with me a couple hours a week so i think I'm all good on that part. More just nervous about this specific audition and what will happen in it

Well that's great to hear that you are getting quality feedback already. The best of luck and break a leg, as they say !
Well that's great to hear that you are getting quality feedback already. The best of luck and break a leg, as they say !

Do you read The Stage? Might not need it for a few years yet, but they used to have the back pages of it where all the auditions were advertised. Mainly for dancers [I auditioned for the Moulin Rouge at Pineapple as I saw it advertised in there, and The Spice Girls all attended an audition to join a girl band after seeing the ad in The Stage] ! [Actually Scary Spice was in Pineapple one time taking a class while I was there auditioning for something or other]. It was a few years before the Spice Girls, but she was so loud and extrovert that years later I remembered her in the Pineapple changing room.
Reply 11
Hi :smile: I'm looking to audition for this course for the year 2021-2022. Had you gotten in by any chance? As I haven't been able to find any reviews of the course or the audition process.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending