The Student Room Group

Why aren't Western feminists marching against Saudi Arabia, ISIS, etc.?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by joe cooley
You actually believe May would waste her time with such nonsense?

Look, if Western politicians actually believed what they spout about equality what kind of relationship do you think the West would have with countries like Saudi and Pakistan.

Anyway, what makes you think a woman who achieved the highest political office in the land on her own merits would be sympathetic to whiny feminists?

blah blah blah baseless assumptions. Go and read the news your ignorance is not worth my time.

Western feminists don't march in protest against Saudi because being part of the left wing Borg, they understand that Islam is higher up the victim totem than women's rights.

The same reason.....

They are happy to ignore the Muslim rape epidemic Europe is undergoing. (Think Rotherham)

They are happy to ignore FGM in the UK.( yes its illegal now but how many prosecutions have there been?)

They are happy to support a Muslim males right to force his property to dress in a modest fashion.

On and on.........

Also protesting Trump isn't likely to end up with your head being hacked off, safe virtue signalling is always preferable.

Pretty much why they won't go after Islam, and identity politics there's a hierarchy of victimhood.
Some races and peoples are held to much higher standards than others, I see no real benefit in being held to high standards so I advocate the most beastly behaviour imaginable until the day Western culture dies.

Original post by knightchildish
The latest news is that Theresa May will be discussing Trump's attitude towards women in the newest summits. The protests were a success.

Trump would grab her by the pussy, but I think even he would give that one a miss.
A significant number of feminists in the west believe that: a) feminism in the past has been too centred on the experiences of white women therefore b) there's a need to overcompensate by showing 'solidarity' with minority women and c) this solidarity should take the form of fetishising whatever seems to be the culture of minority women in terms of dress, hairstyle, etc.

That's why there are people like Rachel Dolezal or people who venerate the hijab as something progressive that all women should aspire to: https://twitter.com/MayaErgas/status/822831122254036993.
(edited 7 years ago)
You can turn the question on its head and ask what are manlets with chips on their shoulder about feminism doing to help the plight of women in the developing world?

This thread seems to imply they are using such suffering to make cheap points on the internet.

We haven't exactly seen many Western men voluntarily doing anything about ISIS.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Hydeman
A significant number of feminists in the west believe that: a) feminism in the past has been too centred on the experiences of white women; b) therefore there's a need to overcompensate by showing 'solidarity' with minority women and; c) this solidarity should take the form of fetishising whatever seems to be the culture of minority women in terms of dress, hairstyle, etc.

That's why there are people like Rachel Dolezal or people who venerate the hijab as something progressive that all women should aspire to:
https://twitter.com/MayaErgas/status/822831122254036993.

White women love the idea of their own victimhood. I would never make the argument that the Hijab is synonymous with oppression since some women choose to wear it, but some White girl putting it on to show solidarity will never ever give her the scope to experience what some Muslim women experience because it's not just a piece of cloth, but a complex system of expectation, pressure and abuse behind closed doors.

I wish that our society would exalt strength and empowerment as virtues over weakness and poverty.
Reply 26
Because that would be racist and islamophobic
Original post by Quantex
We haven't exactly seen many Western men voluntarily doing anything about ISIS.

Not that this has anything to do with the subject, which you haven't deigned to address, but a number of western men (and women) have been fighting the IS on the ground alongside various groups, both Islamist and otherwise, for quite some time now.

You talk about making cheap points on the Internet, but what is the quoted remark, if not cheap and wilfully ignorant?
Original post by Hydeman
Not that this has anything to do with the subject, which you haven't deigned to address, but a number of western men (and women) have been fighting the IS on the ground alongside various groups, both Islamist and otherwise, for quite some time now.

You talk about making cheap points on the Internet, but what is the quoted remark, if not cheap and wilfully ignorant?

I'm well aware of the tiny number of Westerners who are willing to make a sacrifice in the fight against ISIS. They put to shame those who merely talk about being opposed to ISIS from the safe space of their computer.

i prefer people to be actively doing something themselves before they starting *****ing about the perceived inaction or indifference of others. There is nothing ignorant about that.
Same reason why we care so much more about one bomb going off in the West as opposed to ten going off in the East.
Original post by Iridocyclitis
So, hundreds of thousands of Western feminists are marching against the democratic election of Trump, presumably on the basis of some of the misogynistic comments he has made (which I, of course, condemn).

Yet where are the hundreds of thousands of Western feminists marching against the much, much more serious acts against women in places like Saudi Arabia and Syria?

And before someone tells me 'Western feminists have marched against Saudi Arabia and ISIS' - I don't recall such marches involving hundreds of thousands.

It's the usual liberal progressive contradictions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Or protesting against the policies leading to the migrant sex crisis, instead they protest the notion of stopping the influx.
The latest news is that Theresa May will be discussing Trump's attitude towards women in the newest summits. The protests were a success.

No she won't. Theresa May said that she won't bring up the marches and that her being a female PM should be enough. Mrs. May has also said that she won't be afraid to challenge Mr. Trump on things he says but isn't going to mention the marches.

So as much as this quote is a little more brisk than i would have said it, they are technically right.
You actually believe May would waste her time with such nonsense?
Anyway, what makes you think a woman who achieved the highest political office in the land on her own merits would be sympathetic to whiny feminists?

So i feel that just trying to insult them by calling them ignorant isn't really helping your point.

blah blah blah baseless assumptions. Go and read the news your ignorance is not worth my time.
Reply 33
Original post by Hydeman
A significant number of feminists in the west believe that: a) feminism in the past has been too centred on the experiences of white women; b) therefore there's a need to overcompensate by showing 'solidarity' with minority women and; c) this solidarity should take the form of fetishising whatever seems to be the culture of minority women in terms of dress, hairstyle, etc.

That's why there are people like Rachel Dolezal or people who venerate the hijab as something progressive that all women should aspire to:
https://twitter.com/MayaErgas/status/822831122254036993.

:lolwut:

'Murica is the land of stupidity on both side of the political spectrum.
Original post by Josb
They don't live in the USA as well...

Original post by Connor27
By that extension, why are UK/France/German feminists protesting Trump? They don't live there...

No, but they live in the western world. People in the UK will identify with people in the US more, they won't have as much of a 'bond' with other countries outside of this.
Original post by Quantex
I'm well aware of the tiny number of Westerners who are willing to make a sacrifice in the fight against ISIS. They put to shame those who merely talk about being opposed to ISIS from the safe space of their computer.

i prefer people to be actively doing something themselves before they starting *****ing about the perceived inaction or indifference of others. There is nothing ignorant about that.

You're confused, let me explain.

Like Western feminists i don't really care what Islam does in Islamic countries.

Unlike Western feminists i don't pretend to care.

By the way, what are YOU doing to oppose ISIS?
Reply 36
Original post by yudothis
Every actual feminist I know does not pander to Islam...
Check out Goldsmiths FemSoc support for the ISoc disrupting Maryam Namaze's talk at the college on women's rights in Islam, a year or so back.
You couldn't make it up!
Reply 37
By the way, what are YOU doing to oppose ISIS?
He's telling you that you should do more.
Isn't that enough?
Original post by QE2
Check out Goldsmiths FemSoc support for the ISoc disrupting Maryam Namaze's talk at the college on women's rights in Islam, a year or so back.
You couldn't make it up!

Young "feminists" at university tend to be more idealistic and "liberal".
Original post by QE2
He's telling you that you should do more.
Isn't that enough?

So, nothing then.

Thought so.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending