The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Is the UK a depressing place?

First of all, I don't mean to offend anyone. I'm studying in England and I've been here for 7 months, and honestly everything just seem a bit depressive, yeah, it's a lot better then most countries in regards to job opportunities and such. It's not like I'm missing home, I'm from Portugal by the way, my family lives here and I've spent half of my life in Brazil too, and yeah, these countries are really bad when speaking of opportunities and safety(Brazil). But hell I loved the life in there, people were always happy even when they didn't have anything to be happy about. I walk in the streets here and everything just seems grey. Maybe the lack of sunlight is finally getting to me, I don't know. I'm planning on moving to Spain after I graduate, so, one less damn immigrant hahaha. I will earn a way less, if I find a job at all, but I guess I would just be happier. And again, I don't mean to offend anyone, if I did I'm sorry.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Luukeee
First of all, I don't mean to offend anyone. I'm studying in England and I've been here for 7 months, and honestly everything just seem a bit depressive, yeah, it's a lot better then most countries in regards to job opportunities and such. It's not like I'm missing home, I'm from Portugal by the way, my family lives here and I've spent half of my life in Brazil too, and yeah, these countries are really bad when speaking of opportunities and safety(Brazil). But hell I loved the life in there, people were always happy even when they didn't have anything to be happy about. I walk in the streets here and everything just seems grey. Maybe the lack of sunlight is finally getting to me, I don't know. I'm planning on moving to Spain after I graduate, so, one less damn immigrant hahaha. I will earn a way less, if I find a job at all, but I guess I would just be happier. And again, I don't mean to offend anyone, if I did I'm sorry.

Alot of places are like that tbh, honestly as you move away from cities it gets much nicer.I live in Wiltshire and i enjoy the community feel alot.
You've answered your own question in your post.

I think the UK is depressing, but I've never experienced another country's culture so I guess I have nothing to compare it to.
imo yes, somewhat- but maybe the weathers to blame haha :biggrin:
Over the last couple of years I've come across twenty or thirty Portuguese, studying, working and what seems like setting up permanent home here and I keep coming across more and more who have just recently moved here everywhere I go..and all of the ones that I've met so far share the OP's whingie mentality. Its like part of their culture.....

This whole thing doesn't make sense. Is the government subsidising the Portuguese to come and study and work here or something? I mean, its not like studying in the UK is cheap. foreign students can pay upwards of thirty thousand pounds year and portgual's an extremely poor country. I think its like one of the poorest countries in Europe...so what the hell is going on? how can they afford the tuition fees?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by CookieButter
Over the last couple of years I've come across twenty or thirty Portuguese, studying, working and what seems like setting up home here and I keep coming across more and more who have just recently moved here everywhere I go..and all of the ones that I've met so far share the OP's whingie mentality. Its like part of their culture.....

This whole thing doesn't make sense. Is the government subsidising the Portuguese to come and study and work here or something? I mean, its not like studying in the UK is cheap. foreign students can pay upwards of thirty thousand pounds year and portgual's an extremely poor country. I think its like one of the poorest countries in Europe...so what the hell is going on? how can they afford the tuition fees?

Obviously you don't know Portugal, no it is not one of the poorest countries in Europe but yeah we are poor xD so it is most of EU countries nowadays. And no, the goverment are not subsidising the Portuguese to go to the UK, in matter of fact, quite the opposite. I'm not considered a foreign student but an EU, Portugal is part of the EU which it is clear you didn't know, so make you research before come here and talk BS. As an EU citizen I get the same tuition fees as a brit. In regards to accommodation, well, I guess we just have money, what's your problem? I'm not being ungrateful, If I thought the education here was bad I wouldn't be here. I'm just saying what I see and feel about the country, and as you can see I'm not the only one. And don't worry about me with this "whingie mentality" working here, It won't happen. There are a lot of brits living and working in Portugal too especially in Algarve, my english teacher was from London.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Luukeee
Obviously you don't know Portugal, no it is not one of the poorest countries in Europe but yeah we are poor xD so it is most of EU countries nowadays. And no, the goverment are not subsidising the Portuguese to go to the UK, in matter of fact, quite the opposite. I'm not considered a foreign student but an EU, Portugal is part of the EU which it is clear you didn't know, so make you research before come here and talk BS. As an EU citizen I get the same tuition fees as a brit. In regards to accommodation, well, I guess we just have money, what's your problem? I'm not being ungrateful, If I thought the education here was bad I wouldn't be here. I'm just saying what I see and feel about the country, and as you can see I'm not the only one. And don't worry about me with this "whingie mentality" working here, It won't happen. There are a lot of brits living and working in Portugal too especially in Algarve, my english teacher was from London.

I did a little research online and apparently Portugal is the third poorest country in Europe. I also found out that the UK is the first choice of destination for Portuguese migrants and that in 2013 alone over thirty thousand Portuguese migrated to the UK, which is crazy.

Taking what you wrote into account, it'll be interesting to see what happens to all of this immigration once Brexit becomes official. It will be interesting to see how Brexit will affect migrants like yourself and how it will affect the education system in this country....I should think that universities will be impacted greatly and to the benefit of native students.

Original post by Luukeee
And no, the goverment are not subsidising the Portuguese to go to the UK, in matter of fact, quite the opposite.

Original post by Luukeee
Portugal is part of the EU

If you are part of the EU and you are studying here you are being subsidised by the British government/by the British tax payer.....logic much my friend?
(edited 7 years ago)
Portugal did (finally) win something in football (something that England will never do) :wink:
Reply 8
Original post by CookieButter
I did a little research online and apparently Portugal is the third poorest country in Europe. I also found out that the UK is the first choice of destination for Portuguese migrants and that in 2013 alone over thirty thousand Portuguese migrated to the UK, which is crazy.

Taking what you wrote into account, it'll be interesting to see what happens to all of this immigration once Brexit becomes official. It will be interesting to see how Brexit will affect migrants like yourself and how it will affect the education system in this country....I should think that universities will be impacted greatly and to the benefit of native students.

If you are part of the EU and you are studying here you are being subsidised by the British government/by the British tax payer.....logic much my friend?

Well, you research is clearly wrong, Portugal is not the third poorest country in Europe, there are a lot of countries way worse than us. Just stating stuffs like that doesn't make it true. Yeah, Portugueses come to the UK, maybe because of the strong link between the two countries, seeing that they have the longest allegiance in the world. Brexit will not affect me at all, I don't know what are you talking about, I'm already studying here... but it'll affect brits in Portugal that are working and living in there. And WTF is that sh*t about me being subsidised by the British government/by the British tax payer??? You know I'm not studying here for free, right? And you know I said my parents work here and obsviously they pay tax just like everybody else, right? Again, do your reasearch better, you are making a foul of yourself.
Reply 9
Yes, don't come here (I'm serious).
Reply 10
Original post by shawn_o1
Portugal did (finally) win something in football (something that England will never do) :wink:

Yeah, we won that. But I'm Brazilian too bro, we've got 5 world cups and a 7x1 shame.
Reply 11
Original post by Yaboi
Yes, don't come here (I'm serious).

Unfortunately, I'm already here. I'll be leaving soon though, don't you worry.
Original post by Luukeee

It's a little disingenuous of you to write a post sla gging us of but prefix it with 'I don't mean to offend anyone'... Of course it's going to offend us when foreigners come here and moan on like this. I also see you're very happy to take the free tuition from us and benefit from our relatively buoyant economy, since the Portuguese one went down the toilet.

Perhaps it's time to return to Portugal now you've come here and taken advantage of the UK taxpayer.
(edited 7 years ago)
Not to me, for all its faults Britain is a wonderful place to be.
Original post by MissSantos
Hey, also don't mean to offend anyone, I'm also portuguese and live in the UK, and I have to agree. The atmosphere, and the way people behave is different. Here just seems a bit 'depressing'. Unlike portugal, it's not sunny, people don't greet random strangers, and it's just dull in general. I think it's just the culture difference and the weather. I've lived here since I was 8 and I'm now 18 and kind of got accustomed to it. You do see the difference once you go abroad and come back though.

Sorry, who forced your family at gunpoint to live here?
I love the UK :smile:
Some of it is. Too many chavs, quite a lot of depressing people imo, would love to go Lisbon if you have a spare seat.
Reply 17
Original post by Reality Check
It's a little disingenuous of you to write a post sla gging us of but prefix it with 'I don't mean to offend anyone'... Of course it's going to offend us when foreigners come here and moan on like this. I also see you're very happy to take the free tuition from us and benefit from our relatively buoyant economy, since the Portuguese one went down the toilet.

How am I sla gging you? I've never said anything about British people, I really like them, most my friends are from here. But the country is a bit depressing, what do you want me to say? I can lie to you if you want. And again, where you all went to get that "free tuition" bullsh*t? I pay just like you. I'm a student, I don't quite benefit from your "buoyant economy" do I?
(edited 7 years ago)
I personally think that the large cities are quite depressing. Smaller towns and villages are nice though :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by Reality Check
Sorry, who forced your family at gunpoint to live here?

Well, no one. They are not illegally living here either. What's your point? They love here. I'm here only speaking for myself, not for Portugal or my family.

Latest

Trending

Trending