The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Is the UK a depressing place?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by ChickenMadness

Btw the lack of sunlight and vitamin D causes seasonal depression, so you can take vitamin D tablets and that might make you feel less depressed lol.

I think the lack of sunlight just makes everyone miserable. Everyone usually looks happy in the 2 weeks of Summer we get :rofl:

I thought I would love the lack of sunlight after my whole life in a scalding sun. But I was wrong hahahaha god I was wrong. I miss to sun and the beaches.
Original post by alexschmalex
But if he's paying the tuition required, what else does he owe? You could say the same thing about students from anywhere studying in a country they're not from, British students included, so I don't see why it's such a big deal.

See above for the answer, though I'd reiterate that it's not the students themselves I have a problem with at all, but the system that allows it to happen. I agree that British students can be just as bad in this regard, only we tend to be very much a net importer of students overall.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Reality Check
You don't help your cause by classifying those you disagree with as 'butthurt trolls'. It's not terribly sophisticated.

I'm not the OP lol. My 'cause' is answering his question.

He wants advice not a debate about brexit :rofl:
I'm not the OP lol. My 'cause' is answering his question.

He wants advice not a debate about brexit :rofl:

We can agree on that - you're quite right.
See above for the answer, though I'd reiterate that it's not the students themselves I have a problem with at all, but the system that allows it to happen. I agree that British students can be just as bad in this regard, only we tend to be very much a net importer of students overall.

I read some bs about tax and recuperating costs or whatever. Most international students pay 2-3x in tuition and end up paying waaaay more for accommodation and living costs. You could say that in general they put more money into the UK than Home/EU students do. But who cares, it's done and it's now irrelevant. Cutting up my British passport as soon as I get my hands on a Dutch one 😂
Original post by Luukeee
but (Brexit) will affect brits in Portugal that are working and living in there.

What Brits living and working in Portugal?
the lack of sunlight and vitamin D causes seasonal depression, so you can take vitamin D tablets and that might make you feel less depressed lol.

I think the lack of sunlight just makes everyone miserable. Everyone usually looks happy in the 2 weeks of Summer we get :rofl:

Lack of sunlight actually made me vitamin d deficient :shot: and its pretty common too. Take your vit d tablets!
As an Englishman, I can say yes, the UK is possibly one of the most depressing places I can think of.
Original post by Faloodeh
Lack of sunlight actually made me vitamin d deficient :shot: and its pretty common too. Take your vit d tablets!

Good advice for me, also from ChickenMadness
It's rather ungrateful for you to come to our country, take advantage of our people, and then sl*g the place off, don't you think?
Reply 50
Original post by Nottie
I wouldn't call it depressing, but I am quite disappointed with how this country turned out to be. The weather isnt actually that bad, its quite warm in the winter and it doesn't rain as often as I thought it will. But British people are quite hard to get along with. They tend to have lots of friends to go out with but very few close friends. Everyone are always nice to me but it seems a bit fake, when something bad happens I don't think anyone would care about me despite asking me if im okay everyday.

Where are you originally from if you don't mind me asking?
Original post by JohnGreek
Lol @ the butthurt 'patriots' getting all defensive about their country.

There's nothing inconsistent with saying that you don't like the miserable side of the UK, but deciding overall to live here because of the economic opportunities it has. The UK having a net positive impact on your education, job prospects, family standard of living or whatever doesn't mean that it's flawless.

(OP, it's less miserable in the South-East and rural areas - small towns, villages, etc)

What's so funny is how Brits can talk BS about Britain all they want, but when a foreigner does it - nope.
Reply 52
Original post by Jee1
Where are you originally from if you don't mind me asking?

Poland
Reply 53
Original post by CookieButter
What Brits living and working in Portugal?

Mostly retired brits living in Algarve, but some do work there, as I said before, my english teacher was from London. But not just Portugal, there's a lot of brits around Europe. By the way, what do you think about brits who study in Germany for free and then just leave to the UK again?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 54
Original post by Len Goodman
It's rather ungrateful for you to come to our country, take advantage of our people, and then sl*g the place off, don't you think?

Please enlighten me how I am taking advantage of your people.
Reply 55
I entirely agree with you about that. I would point out that the total cost of tuition is rather more than the amount you will be required to pay back, though, and the way that money would ordinarily be recouped is through general taxation once you'd graduated - we won't be getting that in your case because you will have returned to live in Portugal. But again, that's not your fault personally, and in your position I probably should have done exactly the same as you have. It's the system which is at fault really, not enterprising young people like you who have used it to your advantage.

When I move abroad I need to contact student finance and tell them, then they will come up with an amount I need to pay each month, depending on the country I'm living and how much I earn. So, I'll still be paying the same way.
Lots of salty Brits in here who can't take the truth.
As a Brit, I understand that the UK can be gloomy and depressive to 'sunny' people, i.e. people from sunny countries, but to me the lack of sunlight makes it all mysterious and that's what I like about it :biggrin:
Reply 57
Original post by oShahpo
Lots of salty Brits in here who can't take the truth.
As a Brit, I understand that the UK can be gloomy and depressive to 'sunny' people, i.e. people from sunny countries, but to me the lack of sunlight makes it all mysterious and that's what I like about it :biggrin:

Yeah, it's mysterious and there are a lot of ghosts stories haahahha I like that.
Original post by Luukeee
Yeah, it's mysterious and there are a lot of ghosts stories haahahha I like that.

I don't believe in them lol. But the UK, specially London, has a very dark feel to it that I just find irresistible
Reply 59
Sorry, who forced your family at gunpoint to live here?

Don't take offence. I didn't say England is terrible or anything, i just meant the weather and people in some areas is different. UK is good economically, and people are lovely, otherwise i wouldn't be living here.

Latest

Trending

Trending