The Student Room Group

ACCA v/s Degree(Accounting & Finance)

Hi! i'm from Mauritius and I wanted to know the difference between ACCA & a degree in Accounting. I know that ACCA is recognised worldwide, but is it better than a degree?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Reply 2
ACCA means you're chartered and gives you the remit to do certain things that are restricted by law (signing off official documents, audit etc), a degree is just a degree so you'll have the knowledge but not the remit for a few things.

If you get a degree you'll still have to become chartered at some point, but you'll be able to skip studying a lot of the modules (though you still have to pay the module exam fee...)

If you take ACCA without doing a degree beforehand, they take roughly the same amount of time; A degree is a lot more expensive but broader (e.g. you could take accounting and finance, or accounting and economics), ACCA is more specific.

Doing a degree would enable you to get on to a grad programme though (presuming you get a good degree), who would then usually pay for you to become chartered. You could then study for that whilst earning a decent salary!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by AmeliaLost
ACCA means you're chartered and gives you the remit to do certain things that are restricted by law (signing off official documents, audit etc), a degree is just a degree so you'll have the knowledge but not the remit for a few things.

If you get a degree you'll still have to become chartered at some point, but you'll be able to skip studying a lot of the modules (though you still have to pay the module exam fee...)

If you take ACCA without doing a degree beforehand, they take roughly the same amount of time; A degree is a lot more expensive but broader (e.g. you could take accounting and finance, or accounting and economics), ACCA is more specific.

Doing a degree would enable you to get on to a grad programme though (presuming you get a good degree), who would then usually pay for you to become chartered. You could then study for that whilst earning a decent salary!

I know about some people do ACCA & degree at the same time to skip modules and stuff. But if I do ACCA alone, I also know they do give you a sort of degree or diploma to replace the uni degree. But what I would like to know more, which is more worthy if i had to choose one only. ACCA also helps you to be chartered accountant

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Trevish
But what I would like to know more, which is more worthy if i had to choose one only.

So if you're only doing one do ACCA
Reply 6
So if you're only doing one do ACCA

Ah thanks! I'm still in A level year though xD.. Thinking for the future..I was asking so because in case I don't get a scholarship I will have to go to a local University( University of Mauritius) which I fear is not recognised in other countries but their fees are still subsidised.(£1200-1500 year)

There is a MiddleSex & Aberystwyth campus here but they are like £5000 a year which I don't want to burden my parents with such a huge amount...

Thank you for helping! I waited for days for a reply

Posted from TSR Mobile
My friend studied for his ACCA directly after college. He is doing his exams and somehow still working towards a degree at Oxford Brookes University. I'm not sure if it's just an exam board that is offering a degree after 9 ACCA exams but it seems to be working well for him.
I took the degree route, and now I'm currently on a grad scheme doing the ACA. Either route is fine, in the end it's the same outcome of becoming a chartered accountant. It's all down to which route appeals to you most. I guess with a degree it can allow you go into other careers if you feel accounting isn't for you. But doing the ACCA direct would save you a lot of time.
Reply 9
Original post by hamzaahmad786
My friend studied for his ACCA directly after college. He is doing his exams and somehow still working towards a degree at Oxford Brookes University. I'm not sure if it's just an exam board that is offering a degree after 9 ACCA exams but it seems to be working well for him.

Some Actually recommended me to do both together in the future but I don't want to do so tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by Lord Samosa
I took the degree route, and now I'm currently on a grad scheme doing the ACA. Either route is fine, in the end it's the same outcome of becoming a chartered accountant. It's all down to which route appeals to you most. I guess with a degree it can allow you go into other careers if you feel accounting isn't for you. But doing the ACCA direct would save you a lot of time.

I love Accounting so perhaps ACCA will be a good choice then

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Bumping to listen to more opinions!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
bump
I guess we are on the same boat! 😂 I actually still in doubt whether to proceed with degree or ACCA. I'm currently doing my Diploma though.
Reply 14
Original post by Farhanaazulkifli
I guess we are on the same boat! 😂 I actually still in doubt whether to proceed with degree or ACCA. I'm currently doing my Diploma though.

Lol! I went to a career fair recently, I might leave ACCA aside and do ACA instead, I want to know more about CIMA too (CIMA vs ACA?)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hii i'm mauritian as well So you actually went through which route? I'm confused too and need to make a decision asap
Original post by Basically_me
Hii i'm mauritian as well So you actually went through which route? I'm confused too and need to make a decision asap

Hi, a bit too late but route did u take?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending