The Student Room Group

Can people who've got a clean sweep of A*'s give me some advice.

When I leave school I will have 12 GCSE's.
I have completed 4 already and achieved 4A*.
With the remaining 8 do you guys have any tips on how to ace them?
I need all a* to get a 100% scholarship at a college I want to attend, thanks! :P

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Not exactly qualified, since I haven't actually gained a "full sweep" (yet (hopefully)), but I have got As and A*s in everything I have done so far :biggrin:

Congrats on your A*s! What are the other 2 GCSEs you've completed besides maths? And what are the other 8 subjects to go?

Some general tips are:

Stay organised and make a realistic timetable (don't start as soon as you get home, keep room for sport/tv/food etc), make sure you stick to it, don't just do whatever you feel like and do it in 30 minute chunks, including a 5 minute break (STAY ACTIVE WITHIN THAT BREAK, walk around your house, get a drink, talk to someone about what you've learned).

Make notes with lots of colour and snazzy writing (don't worry if it's not perfect, you're the only one who'll ever see it - I should listen to that myself lol), rewrite them and condense them each time. Write things down multiple times without looking at where you're copying it from and it's bound to stick in your head).

Know your specification, mark schemes and typical exam questions - GCSEs don't branch out far from the specification and the same sorts of things come up again and again, chances are that if you've done enough questions there will be some repeats in the exam.

See friends regularly and don't talk about exams with them, make the most of your free time and don't become a revision monster.

TRY TEACHING THE CONCEPT YOU'RE REVISING TO SOMEONE ELSE - IT WORKS WONDERS. It really helps you understand the depth of what you're saying and it does stick in your mind.

Get the Exam Countdown app and plug in the dates of all of your exams/controlled assessment deadlines so that you can prioritise different subjects over others.

Make the most of the knowledge you have! You're likely to never be so knowledgable about so many different subject areas ever again, so enjoy being smart!

GO OUT THERE AND ACE THOSE EXAMS!!!!!!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Tombre
Not exactly qualified, since I haven't actually gained a "full sweep" (yet (hopefully)), but I have got As and A*s in everything I have done so far :biggrin:

Congrats on your A*s! What are the other 2 GCSEs you've completed besides maths? And what are the other 8 subjects to go?

Some general tips are:

Stay organised and make a realistic timetable (don't start as soon as you get home, keep room for sport/tv/food etc), make sure you stick to it, don't just do whatever you feel like and do it in 30 minute chunks, including a 5 minute break (STAY ACTIVE WITHIN THAT BREAK, walk around your house, get a drink, talk to someone about what you've learned).

Make notes with lots of colour and snazzy writing (don't worry if it's not perfect, you're the only one who'll ever see it - I should listen to that myself lol), rewrite them and condense them each time. Write things down multiple times without looking at where you're copying it from and it's bound to stick in your head).

Know your specification, mark schemes and typical exam questions - GCSEs don't branch out far from the specification and the same sorts of things come up again and again, chances are that if you've done enough questions there will be some repeats in the exam.

See friends regularly and don't talk about exams with them, make the most of your free time and don't become a revision monster.

TRY TEACHING THE CONCEPT YOU'RE REVISING TO SOMEONE ELSE - IT WORKS WONDERS. It really helps you understand the depth of what you're saying and it does stick in your mind.

Get the Exam Countdown app and plug in the dates of all of your exams/controlled assessment deadlines so that you can prioritise different subjects over others.

Make the most of the knowledge you have! You're likely to never be so knowledgable about so many different subject areas ever again, so enjoy being smart!

GO OUT THERE AND ACE THOSE EXAMS!!!!!!

The other two are in Welsh 2nd Language and Statistics :P
8 other: Eng Lan, Eng Lit, Geog, Electronics, ICT, Phys, Biol, Chem.
Thanks for the tips :tongue: Can't believe I have less than 6 months left in school :O
Also how many exams are you sitting in the summer? If I have to resit some the max I will have is 16 and I think the lowest I will have is 10.
Good luck with your exams too :smile:
get off this and revise
also the 4 A* you got already may not be taken into consideration as you haven't proven you can take a heavy workload. Perhaps look at some work experience opportunities or start volunteering. Or maybe set up a club and I am experienced in this situation. I did GCSE Maths in year 9 and now I am doing AS Maths and further Maths GCSE. Last week I was told my AS wouldn't even count for ox-bridge. Was quite upset but then I decided to do many work experience opportunities so I look like a capable and busy person :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by LisaNikita
also the 4 A* you got already may not be taken into consideration as you haven't proven you can take a heavy workload. Perhaps look at some work experience opportunities or start volunteering. Or maybe set up a club and I am experienced in this situation. I did GCSE Maths in year 9 and now I am doing AS Maths and further Maths GCSE. Last week I was told my AS wouldn't even count for ox-bridge. Was quite upset but then I decided to do many work experience opportunities so I look like a capable and busy person :smile:

It's likely the AS wouldn't count as they don't have them in England anymore. Also what grade did you get in your maths? Finally, the further maths you are taking is it a GCSE or a level 1/2 qualification?
Original post by Abusive
It's likely the AS wouldn't count as they don't have them in England anymore. Also what grade did you get in your maths? Finally, the further maths you are taking is it a GCSE or a level 1/2 qualification?

It was an A grade and its a GCSE
Reply 7
It was an A grade and its a GCSE

Well done on your A grade!
How are you finding the AS level work, is there much of a difference between AS and GCSE in your opinion? With the further maths what exam board is it? Because WJEC offer one but it's not a GCSE, but a level 1/2.
Original post by Abusive
How are you finding the AS level work, is there much of a difference between AS and GCSE in your opinion? With the further maths what exam board is it? Because WJEC offer one but it's not a GCSE, but a level 1/2.

Well for GCSE Maths I took Edexcel, however in further I am with AQA since our school changed for the 9-1's. The AS Maths is also AQA and I am not finding it too hard. Recently did my mocks and got a B which was 6 marks from an A
Reply 9
Original post by Abusive
The other two are in Welsh 2nd Language and Statistics :P
8 other: Eng Lan, Eng Lit, Geog, Electronics, ICT, Phys, Biol, Chem.
Thanks for the tips :tongue: Can't believe I have less than 6 months left in school :O
Also how many exams are you sitting in the summer? If I have to resit some the max I will have is 16 and I think the lowest I will have is 10.
Good luck with your exams too :smile:

Ah, I did Welsh 2nd L too, but it was only a short course for me, but I haven't had the option to do statistics.

Oh no, 6 months is literally no time at all! It hadn't even dawned on me until you just said it :eek:

If I have to resit any Jan exams I will have 13 exams this summer, if not then I'll have 11, possibly 12 if I do end up doing Additional Maths L1/2.

Thanks! :biggrin:
Reply 10
Original post by Tombre
Ah, I did Welsh 2nd L too, but it was only a short course for me, but I haven't had the option to do statistics.

Oh no, 6 months is literally no time at all! It hadn't even dawned on me until you just said it :eek:

If I have to resit any Jan exams I will have 13 exams this summer, if not then I'll have 11, possibly 12 if I do end up doing Additional Maths L1/2.

Thanks! :biggrin:

Statistics was offered as a 1 time a week after school course for us. It required a lot less effort than my other subjects I felt. There was one controlled assessment and then one 2 hour (I think) exam at the end of the year. Considering you've completed maths now I would ask your teacher if you could do it alongside Additional Maths, definitely worth it :biggrin:
Reply 11
Original post by Abusive
Statistics was offered as a 1 time a week after school course for us. It required a lot less effort than my other subjects I felt. There was one controlled assessment and then one 2 hour (I think) exam at the end of the year. Considering you've completed maths now I would ask your teacher if you could do it alongside Additional Maths, definitely worth it :biggrin:

Ooh, I'll definitely look into it. I'm not a big fan of statistics, but doing this may actually help me, as I really will have to get used to doing it.
get off this and revise

BEST ADVICE!!!:biggrin:
Original post by Abusive

AS maths is not as bad as everybody thinks...
Just keep doing what you're doing, you've already got 4A* so it seems to be working. I'd give you my tips such as consistency, past paper, know the syllabus. Other than that there isn't much. Maybe things like get enough sleep and making sure you don't overwork yourself, also do some exercise and make sure your diet is clean :smile:.
Reply 14
Original post by Nulliverse
Just keep doing what you're doing, you've already got 4A* so it seems to be working. I'd give you my tips such as consistency, past paper, know the syllabus. Other than that there isn't much. Maybe things like get enough sleep and making sure you don't overwork yourself, also do some exercise and make sure your diet is clean :smile:.

Thank you all for the advice, I'll take it all into consideration :biggrin:.
Original post by Abusive
When I leave school I will have 12 GCSE's.
I have completed 4 already and achieved 4A*.
With the remaining 8 do you guys have any tips on how to ace them?
I need all a* to get a 100% scholarship at a college I want to attend, thanks! :P

I achieved 12A*s at GCSE. I would just advise you to start revising really early. Once you know everything to a really high standard you just need to maintain it for a few months, which I found fairly easy.

I'd also recommend employing apps like brainscape for languages- it was invaluable for vocab learning. Those types of app are also great for learning processes in biology and chemistry that don't involve much actual understanding.

Hope this helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by Cave Felem
I achieved 12A*s at GCSE. I would just advise you to start revising really early. Once you know everything to a really high standard you just need to maintain it for a few months, which I found fairly easy.

I'd also recommend employing apps like brainscape for languages- it was invaluable for vocab learning. Those types of app are also great for learning processes in biology and chemistry that don't involve much actual understanding.

Hope this helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have a few questions regarding how you revised for English Language,
what was your main method besides using apps like brainscape. Did you do a lot of preparation for it and how difficult did you find it?
Also during your last block of exams in June/May how many exams did you have to revise for?
Pob lwc yn dy TGAU

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by JacobPowell
Pob lwc yn dy TGAU

Posted from TSR Mobile

Diolch :wink:
Original post by Abusive
I have a few questions regarding how you revised for English Language,
what was your main method besides using apps like brainscape. Did you do a lot of preparation for it and how difficult did you find it?
Also during your last block of exams in June/May how many exams did you have to revise for?

Not gonna lie mate, I'm just naturally good at English haha. I read lots in my spare time which helps. If I were you I'd do some practice comprehension papers and get them marker by a teacher.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest