The Student Room Group

Why are looks the most important thing in society nowadays??? (cliche`topic- I know)

Scroll to see replies

Instagram is for posting photos. The whole point is that it is visual. If you want to post quotes, may be you would be better off doing it on twitter.

People are more likely to like pictures of yourselves because they are backing you personally. If you post a quote that you are not the author of, they are not really your likes anyway.

Your friends like you so they will like a photo of you. They probably don't relate to the quotes as much as you so they don't like them. I don't think it is a reflection on society.
Original post by Kravence
I don't remember saying it was of you.
You missed the point lol

You're saying people are superficial and care more about looks while your complaining about something just as shallow.

In other words, you're a hypocrite

this
Reply 22
Original post by Sternumator
Instagram is for posting photos. The whole point is that it is visual. If you want to post quotes, may be you would be better off doing it on twitter.

People are more likely to like pictures of yourselves because they are backing you personally. If you post a quote that you are not the author of, they are not really your likes anyway.

Your friends like you so they will like a photo of you. They probably don't relate to the quotes as much as you so they don't like them. I don't think it is a reflection on society.

Fair points.

I guess I can't be complaining that people don't relate to/like the same things I do.

But I think it's also a fair point that looks are considered a hugely important thing in society whereas other things which should be valued a lot more aren't.
Original post by Nadine_08
Fair points.
But I think it's also a fair point that looks are considered a hugely important thing in society whereas other things which should be valued a lot more aren't.

I disagree with that. It just depends who and what you surround yourself with.

If you spend a lot of time on Instagram, buy fashion magazines and hang out with people obsessed with looks then it is going to feel like looks are everything but through your lifestyle choices, you are buying into that.

Equally there are millions of people, like me who don't do any of the things above. I don't even think about looks on a daily basis. There are people out there who share your interests and values, you just need to find them.

It isn't a modern thing at all. If you raised in a 17th century French court, you would think looks are everything too. We are lucky we have more choice in who we associate with now.
Reply 24
I disagree with that. It just depends who and what you surround yourself with.

If you spend a lot of time on Instagram, buy fashion magazines and hang out with people obsessed with looks then it is going to feel like looks are everything but through your lifestyle choices, you are buying into that.

Equally there are millions of people, like me who don't do any of the things above. I don't even think about looks on a daily basis. There are people out there who share your interests and values, you just need to find them.

It isn't a modern thing at all. If you raised in a 17th century French court, you would think looks are everything too. We are lucky we have more choice in who we associate with now.

Yeah you're right. Unfortunately I clearly don't have people who I associate with enough. In fact I never have. But I'm not saying that I don't care about looks or that I don't appreciate compliments on my looks, I genuinely do, but I feel that appearance is just a bonus feature. It's temporary and won't stay forever, but what will stay is your thoughts, values and soul. That's why I don't just want to be known for my looks, but for things that are a lot more important. But like you said, Instagram probably isn't the best platform for this.
Original post by Nadine_08
Yeah you're right. Unfortunately I clearly don't have people who I associate with enough. In fact I never have. But I'm not saying that I don't care about looks or that I don't appreciate compliments on my looks, I genuinely do, but I feel that appearance is just a bonus feature. It's temporary and won't stay forever, but what will stay is your thoughts, values and soul. That's why I don't just want to be known for my looks, but for things that are a lot more important. But like you said, Instagram probably isn't the best platform for this.

Thoughts and values change too. Its best to try to avoid your sense of worth being based on what others think whether that be your looks or anything else.

Everyone likes a compliment and there is nothing wrong with that but it shouldn't be the difference between you being happy or unhappy.
Reply 26
Thoughts and values change too.

Its best to try to avoid your sense of worth being based on what others think whether that be your looks or anything else.

They do. My point was that one's internal identity doesn't fade like good looks do.

Of course. My sense of worth isn't determined by compliments/other people, although undeniably they do have a significant influence. I think this is natural, though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending