The Student Room Group

Dropping out of First Year of University - Student Finance and NHS Bursary Payment

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to be posting this?

Basically I started an NHS funded course in September and after going out on placement for the first time in November I realised that the course is not for me and wish to drop out. My only problem is I'm not sure how much money I would have to pay back to Student Finance and the NHS Bursary.

My worry is that dropping out now that I would have to pay back all the money they have paid to me, much of that I have spent on rent and travel to placement and so would not be able to pay it back without getting a loan from the bank (something I don't wish to do).

Does anyone have any experience of dropping out of an NHS funded course? If so would I be best to complete the year, or could I drop out before then and not have to pay back too much money.
Original post by Lostox
Hi,

Basically I started an NHS funded course in September and after going out on placement for the first time in November I realised that the course is not for me and wish to drop out. My only problem is I'm not sure how much money I would have to pay back to Student Finance and the NHS Bursary.

My worry is that dropping out now that I would have to pay back all the money they have paid to me, much of that I have spent on rent and travel to placement and so would not be able to pay it back without getting a loan from the bank (something I don't wish to do).

Does anyone have any experience of dropping out of an NHS funded course? If so would I be best to complete the year, or could I drop out before then and not have to pay back too much money.

NHS bursary will just want what you owe from the month you leave (say you leave in between payments they d ask for 14 days worth back) and student finance will normally want what's left of that's term loan but it's likely they ll let you set up a payment plan.
Original post by Lostox
Hi,

It depends on the payment schedule and how much you've received. Once you've formally withdrawn from your course, your university will confirm your final attendance date with NHS Bursaries. They will then recalculate your entitlement based on the actual number of days attendance, and there may well be some bursary to repay. Don't worry though - they'll be very reasonable with the repayment and if you can't afford to pay it back in one go they will accept reasonable instalments.
Original post by claireestelle
NHS bursary will just want what you owe from the month you leave (say you leave in between payments they d ask for 14 days worth back) and student finance will normally want what's left of that's term loan but it's likely they ll let you set up a payment plan.

Original post by Reality Check
It depends on the payment schedule and how much you've received. Once you've formally withdrawn from your course, your university will confirm your final attendance date with NHS Bursaries. They will then recalculate your entitlement based on the actual number of days attendance, and there may well be some bursary to repay. Don't worry though - they'll be very reasonable with the repayment and if you can't afford to pay it back in one go they will accept reasonable instalments.

Thank you both for your replies. I spoke to my university on Monday, and I was told if I leave near the end of the term then I will not need to pay back my Student Finance loan. When I withdraw will I need to inform Student Finance and the NHS Bursary myself as well as the University confirming it?
Original post by Lostox
Thank you both for your replies. I spoke to my university on Monday, and I was told if I leave near the end of the term then I will not need to pay back my Student Finance loan. When I withdraw will I need to inform Student Finance and the NHS Bursary myself as well as the University confirming it?

Yes inform them yourselves to get a block put on future payments, makes it easier to sort later on as they take a couple of weeks to know from the uni you ve withdrawn
student finance england is a pain in the asss

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending