The Student Room Group

Driving the day after a night out?

So me and a friend are going out I can't get a lift there/back so I'm staying at hers and will drive back home the day after it will probably be afternoon by the time Either of us A up and we'll probably watch a film or something. What time will I probably be ok to drive by??
Absolutely noone can answer that, it depends on how much you drink and when you stop drinking by, and also how fast your body itself gets the alcohol out of your system. I would personally not leave until the evening at the earliest, if you get pulled over on a routine check (for which you'll be breathalysed) and you're over the limit, you'll get a criminal record. It's up to you alone to ensure you're safe to drive, and if you feel even the slightest bit not-normal, you should not get behind the wheel.
Work out how many units of alcohol you've had, there are plenty of apps for that. Don't drive for that many number of hours after your last drink.
Reply 3
Original post by TruthfulHoax
Work out how many units of alcohol you've had, there are plenty of apps for that. Don't drive for that many number of hours after your last drink.

Bear in mind this is a very VERY rough estimate and the only safe way to know for sure is to buy an accurate breathalyser
You should be perfectly sober but you cannot tell how much alcohol percentage is in your blood and thats what will screw you over if you get checked. Likewise with drugs, you can get done for having cocaine in your system even if you have sobered up 2 days ago!

My advice, drink water, wait until evening if you can. If not, then drive very safely - its highly unlikely you'll get pulled over unless youre a nonce.
I've been out on a night out and slept in my car, to then wake up from a beautiful nights sleep at 10am and drive instantly 60 miles. I was incredibly drunk on the night but for some reason felt completely fine the day after. I slept in my drivers seat.

But I suppose it highly depends on your build and how much you drink, I'm a bigger lad so I suppose I can process drink better, I also made a B-Line straight to Maccies for a McMuffin

(slept in my car because I got locked out of my house)
Original post by PhilipG1
I've been out on a night out and slept in my car, to then wake up from a beautiful nights sleep at 10am and drive instantly 60 miles. I was incredibly drunk on the night but for some reason felt completely fine the day after. I slept in my drivers seat.

But I suppose it highly depends on your build and how much you drink, I'm a bigger lad so I suppose I can process drink better, I also made a B-Line straight to Maccies for a McMuffin

(slept in my car because I got locked out of my house)

Oh my!

Are you aware that its technically an offensive# to sleep in your car if your drunk (unless there is someone else there who is sober) especially if you have the keys (God help you if the engines is on for say heat as that could look like you have or will attempt to drive when your unfit to do so) and are in the driver's seat?

Note that sometime the police use common sense but not always here as people have being arrested for being drunk and in charge while getting their thing out the boot of their car while waiting for a taxi.

Furthermore alcohol’s psychoactive effects on the brain reduces quicker than it leaves your breath, blood or urine. But that irrelevant as far as the laws is concerned so even though you may not feel drunk alcohol’s effect on the body is reducing after a heavy drinking session you could still be over the prescribed limit of 80 mg of alcohol per 100ml of blood if you were still drink in the early hours of the morning before falling a sleep in your car.

It sounds like you could have unwitting driven with a alcohol concentration above the prescribed limit. I would personally wait 12 hours after a heavy drinking session.

# see Road Traffic Act 1988 s.4(2 & 3 )): “A person who, when in charge of a mechanically propelled vehicle which is on a road or other public place, is unfit to drive through drink or drugs is guilty of an offence.” .

“or the purposes of subsection (2) above, a person shall be deemed not to have been in charge of a mechanically propelled vehicle if he proves that at the material time the circumstances were such that there was no likelihood of his driving it so long as he remained unfit to drive through drink or drugs.”

It seems as though implying you plan to drive in say the morning when you could reasonably be still unfit to drive or have alcohol concentration above prescribed limit in breath, blood or urine.
Original post by proton & neutron
Oh my!

Are you aware that its technically an offensive# to sleep in your car if your drunk (unless there is someone else there who is sober) especially if you have the keys (God help you if the engines is on for say heat as that could look like you have or will attempt to drive when your unfit to do so) and are in the driver's seat?

Note that sometime the police use common sense but not always here as people have being arrested for being drunk and in charge while getting their thing out the boot of their car while waiting for a taxi.

Furthermore alcohol’s psychoactive effects on the brain reduces quicker than it leaves your breath, blood or urine. But that irrelevant as far as the laws is concerned so even though you may not feel drunk alcohol’s effect on the body is reducing after a heavy drinking session you could still be over the prescribed limit of 80 mg of alcohol per 100ml of blood if you were still drink in the early hours of the morning before falling a sleep in your car.

It sounds like you could have unwitting driven with a alcohol concentration above the prescribed limit. I would personally wait 12 hours after a heavy drinking session.

# see Road Traffic Act 1988 s.4(2 & 3 )): “A person who, when in charge of a mechanically propelled vehicle which is on a road or other public place, is unfit to drive through drink or drugs is guilty of an offence.” .

“or the purposes of subsection (2) above, a person shall be deemed not to have been in charge of a mechanically propelled vehicle if he proves that at the material time the circumstances were such that there was no likelihood of his driving it so long as he remained unfit to drive through drink or drugs.”

It seems as though implying you plan to drive in say the morning when you could reasonably be still unfit to drive or have alcohol concentration above prescribed limit in breath, blood or urine.

I understand what I did was wrong but I literally had no other choice, sleeping in my car was the only option unless I wanted to sleep on the street.

When I'm drunk I have a massive amount of common sense so I'm not completely brain dead, so I put the keys in the glove box before I fell asleep.

Woke up to a happy and tbh I did wait an hour or so before I drove so I can cope and get over myself, drank lots of water and I felt better, a lot better, very quickly. All I can say is thank god for that amazing pizza from Al Forno for being great the morning after (10/10 review)
Reply 8
I understand what I did was wrong but I literally had no other choice

The obvious decision would have been not to go out if you had no safe method to do so; your defence wouldn't have held up in court - "the sesh was more important".
Reply 9
Original post by TruthfulHoax
What the **** is this.
Original post by IWMTom
The obvious decision would have been not to go out if you had no safe method to do so; your defence wouldn't have held up in court - "the sesh was more important".

No I mean my flatmate locked the front door AFTER I had left to go out, didn't know he had locked it until I came back
Reply 11
Original post by Tootles
What the **** is this.

A very very very VERY rough estimation of alcohol metabolisation.
Reply 12
No I mean my flatmate locked the front door AFTER I had left to go out, didn't know he had locked it until I came back

And you didn't have a key?
Original post by IWMTom
And you didn't have a key?

I did have a key but my door is double locked, I neglected to bring the other key as I specifically told my flatmate to not lock the door so I couldn't unlock the door. My flatmate loves trolling me but this was a genuine mistake, he told me the day after he completely forgot and was very tired so he locked it and went to sleep without thinking about it.
Reply 14
I did have a key but my door is double locked, I neglected to bring the other key as I specifically told my flatmate to not lock the door so I couldn't unlock the door. My flatmate loves trolling me but this was a genuine mistake, he told me the day after he completely forgot and was very tired so he locked it and went to sleep without thinking about it.

If what you're saying is true, then fair play, sounds like a crap time for you!
Original post by IWMTom
If what you're saying is true, then fair play, sounds like a crap time for you!

Eh, was a decent night out but I wasn't too pleased when I got back as you could probably tell
Original post by IWMTom
A very very very VERY rough estimation of alcohol metabolisation.
I'm thinking gravel, yes?
Reply 17
Original post by Tootles
I'm thinking gravel, yes?

We're talking like 60-grit sandpaper here.
Original post by IWMTom
We're talking like 60-grit sandpaper here.
Oy a broch :sad:
I understand what I did was wrong but I literally had no other choice, sleeping in my car was the only option unless I wanted to sleep on the street.

When I'm drunk I have a massive amount of common sense so I'm not completely brain dead, so I put the keys in the glove box before I fell asleep.

Woke up to a happy and tbh I did wait an hour or so before I drove so I can cope and get over myself, drank lots of water and I felt better, a lot better, very quickly. All I can say is thank god for that amazing pizza from Al Forno for being great the morning after (10/10 review)

Sorry for the delay reply (blame the flu) but I thought it would be rude not the actually send I wrote reply to you comment in January.

I personally wouldn't say it was wrong per say since the whole point of the offence of being drunk and in charge of a mechanically propelled vehicle is for when someone has clearly drunk has driven or intends to but there isn't enough evidence to prove it.

The impression I have got is that the police would prefer someone who is drunk but stranded because they can't get a taxi to sleep or stay in their car than attempt to walk home while drunk particularly if it involves walking along a unlit country road without a pavement and become a statistic as long as its obvious they have not driven the car and more importantly you don't intend to when you could still be above prescribed limit i.e the morning as although the Road Traffic Act 1988 s.4(2) makes: “A person who, when in charge of a mechanically propelled vehicle which is on a road or other public place, is unfit to drive through drink or drugs is guilty of an offence.” .

There is immediately a defence in s.4(3) “or the purposes of subsection (2) above, a person shall be deemed not to have been in charge of a mechanically propelled vehicle if he proves that at the material time the circumstances were such that there was no likelihood of his driving it so long as he remained unfit to drive through drink or drugs.”

The main issue with your example is that you could still be above prescribed limit the morning after you drove.

Also keep in mind that the psychoactive effect of ethanol does not quite match your blood alcohol content and actual impairment so you can’t gauge it by how you feel.

Quick Reply

Latest