The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL Business School?

Looking into UCL Business School (for their MSc Business Analytics-- a program partnered with their computer science department). However, I saw a few harsh reviews online regarding the fact that their School of Management isn't accredited and is very disorganized. I'm not sure what to make of this information paired with the fact that overall it's a great university with global recognition. What do you guys think?

Just FYI, I just got accepted into Southern Methodist University's Cox School of Business for their program, so I'll be weighing the difference between these two. It's a great American school with medium to high recognition in the U.S., low global recognition. The MSBA program here is also very new (only a few years old).
Reviews where and how old were they? Bear in mind that the school may have 100s of students graduating and can't keep everyone happy so if it's only a few reviews I wouldn't worry about it but if there are loads then yes that is worrying. Can you visit? Does accreditation actually mean anything to you and your career (it doesn't always but I'm not in your field)? In terms of organisation you may want to find out more about the course structure and how it all works.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
I got accepted to the MSc Business Analytics with specialization in management science. I am currently weighing between UCL and LSE. The Department of Management at UCL is brand spanking new, so it is bound to have a few disorganization in the first few weeks, months of its existence.
I am still in the same boat as you however..
Reply 3
Original post by Twooz
I got accepted to the MSc Business Analytics with specialization in management science. I am currently weighing between UCL and LSE. The Department of Management at UCL is brand spanking new, so it is bound to have a few disorganization in the first few weeks, months of its existence.
I am still in the same boat as you however..

Congrats on that! And I certainly agree with your comment. I'm actually more concerned about the lack of accreditation for the school/program-- unless that's something they're finalizing soon. Couldn't find anything online and still waiting on the rep to get back to me.
Reply 4
Original post by annaml
Congrats on that! And I certainly agree with your comment. I'm actually more concerned about the lack of accreditation for the school/program-- unless that's something they're finalizing soon. Couldn't find anything online and still waiting on the rep to get back to me.

Thanks! :smile:
Did you apply for the same program? And are you US based? I'm in Minnesota doing my undergrad.
Reply 5
Original post by alleycat393
Reviews where and how old were they? Bear in mind that the school may have 100s of students graduating and can't keep everyone happy so if it's only a few reviews I wouldn't worry about it but if there are loads then yes that is worrying. Can you visit? Does accreditation actually mean anything to you and your career (it doesn't always but I'm not in your field)? In terms of organisation you may want to find out more about the course structure and how it all works.

A year or so old, but I have yet to find anything concrete on their website. I'm a U.S. citizen and resident, and unfortunately applying to a masters-level job with an unaccredited degree is severely limiting. I don't know if it would be a different story if I stayed in the U.K., though I doubt it considering the field. I've looked through the curriculum and the program is strong and gaining some great recognition early on-- however, I want to look into it further based on my reasoning above regarding job prospects. I appreciate your input. I'm currently waiting on an email back from a rep. I have time to think about it while my application is in review.
Reply 6
Original post by Twooz
Thanks! :smile:
Did you apply for the same program? And are you US based? I'm in Minnesota doing my undergrad.

Yes, same one! In Texas right now :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by annaml
Yes, same one! In Texas right now :smile:

No way! I'd love to connect or at least stay in touch since we're both interested in the same program with the same concerns .

Go apply for misdi at LSE so we can be buddies there!

My end goal is technology consultant or business analyst
Reply 8
Original post by Twooz
No way! I'd love to connect or at least stay in touch since we're both interested in the same program with the same concerns .

Go apply for misdi at LSE so we can be buddies there!

My end goal is technology consultant or business analyst

Unfortunately my application budget is up, but I'll PM you :smile:
Reply 9
Congrats! For the MSc Business Analytics at UCL, were you interviewed?
Reply 10
Reputation-wise UCL has a much better global rep than Southern Methodist University - coming from the UK I've never heard of SMU and if you wanna work in multiple countries then UCL will open more doors no doubt
Reply 11
Hi Twooz,
Just want to know that how long do you wait until your offer and when did you apply for the UCL course because this is my 7th week after my application and my 1st week after interviewed. Thanks :smile:
Hii..can I know what kind of questions were asked in your interview For the MSc in Bussiness analytics course at ucl?
Original post by A.s.h123
Hii..can I know what kind of questions were asked in your interview For the MSc in Bussiness analytics course at ucl?

I had an interview for an MSc in the Business department and they just asked the regular stuff like why this school, why this program, what are your future plans, nothing exciting.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending